RPGNow Is Being Retired

As you may know, RPGNow and DriveThruRPG (and, indeed, all the community content sites like DM's Guild) are the exact same website owned by One Bookshelf (OBS), simply viewed through a different skin. The front page of each highlights different products, but the stores are the same store. Now, the "RPGNow" version of the store is being retired.

rpgnow.png

OBS sent out the following email earlier today:

Starting in February 2019, all elements of the RPGNow tool pages and storefront will redirect to similar pages on DriveThruRPG.

You most likely know this, but since RPGNow and DriveThruRPG first merged as businesses back in 2006, they have shared all the same tools and digital inventory. On the front end, they looked and behaved like two separate sites, but essentially they have just been two faces of the same site for many years. The only real differences were the color schemes and logos.

You might have some questions about the coming change, so we’ve done our best to anticipate and answer them below.

How will this affect me?

In most ways, you’ll be unaffected. Your entire catalog of titles from RPGNow is already listed on DriveThruRPG (as it always has been), and you can log in to DriveThruRPG using the same account(s) you’ve always used on RPGNow, just as you could before.

Even your old bookmarks to pages on RPGNow.com will still work: They’ll automatically be redirected to the same page on DriveThruRPG.

What about sales reporting? Will my past sales be combined?

Yes, as far as sales records and your titles’ metal rankings, we will be merging those together.

Starting in February, your sales records will show combined sales of each title across both the deprecated RPGNow site and DriveThruRPG, together. The number of unit sales will also be combined, so if you had metal rankings for titles on one or both sites, there’s a good chance you’ll find that your rankings on some titles will have increased on DriveThruRPG.

What about my Publisher Promotion Points and marketing impressions?

No worries. Your Publisher Promotion Points (PPP) are already shared across sister sites. They are compiled by publisher, not by site.

If you have used your PPP to purchase site impressions for banners or featured product messages on RPGNow, you will also be reimbursed, commensurately, for those expenditures on DriveThruRPG.

Why is this happening?

Here’s the big picture: In the 12 years since RPGNow and DriveThruRPG merged, the growth of RPGNow has tapered off constantly, while DriveThruRPG has continued to grow strongly, year over year, since it launched in 2004. We’ve reached the point where RPGNow rarely draws new customers or publishers and sells less than one-tenth the volume of titles purchased on DriveThruRPG.

To be honest, we have known this moment would come for years now. We’ve just finally decided it’s time to put the RPGNow brand out to pasture.

RPGNow always presented the more "indie" face of the industry, with DTRPG highlighting the larger releases. It will be interesting to see what the front page algorithms will look like on the combined site!

imagineGod

Legend
Ha ha ha, when I first read the headline, I almost had a heart attack thinking both RPGNow and DriveThruRPG were being retired with all PDF game files lost to us all.

Maybe a less sensational headline would help like "RPGNow brand & assets subsumed into DriveThruRPG"

Henry

Autoexreginated
To be honest, I found the reason they kept the RPGNow brand kind of flimsy even to begin with, but then I wasn't a vendor, so I have no idea if the "indie" thing ever served a useful purpose or not.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I always preferred RPGNow to DriveThruRPG, but so long as the content remains the same I can live with this.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I wonder why it took them this long. I guess there wasn't much cost to maintaining the RPGNow "skin" so it was cheaper to keep it?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I wonder why it took them this long. I guess there wasn't much cost to maintaining the RPGNow "skin" so it was cheaper to keep it?

My thoughts exactly, why did it take so long? I always wondered 'why bother'?

Glad that DriveThruRPG is still around. I freakin' love that thing.

Koloth

First Post
Seems like a good call. The cost of maintaining each site was probably about the same. One has 90% of sales, the other has 10%. As long as the re-directors work, lost sales from dropping rpgnow should be minimal.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases