RPGObjects: Soldiers and Spellfighters20 mixes the Great War, magic and Modern20

mikelaff

Explorer
Coming Soon from RPGObjects - Soldiers and Spellfighters20

This alternate history, genre-blending setting presents a fantastic take on World War One - combining the gritty battlefields of the Great War with magical fantasy

• Sorcerers of the German Imperial Army - fueled by the magic of red dragons - bulldoze Allied defenses and push deep into France.
  • Heroic griffin riders of the French Air Service fight to free their nation from the daily terror of zeppelin bombing raids
  • British golem squads fight alongside tanks to turn the tide of battle against the Central Powers
  • In the darkest days of the war, the Kaiser makes a Faustian bargain that unleashes an invasion of legions of creatures from Faerie onto the European continent

Soldiers and Spellfighters20 explores the Great War in the Wizards and Wiseguys setting. It uses Charles Rice's popular Modern20 rules and has art by Rick Hershey of Empty Room Studios.

golem1.jpg

griffinrider1.jpg

griffins_Zeppelin.jpg

tank_flame.jpg

wyvernrider_in_flight.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
HalWhitewyrm said:
How does this relate to Wizards and Wiseguys? Same setting, different system?

Soldiers and Spellfighters is an outgrowth of Wizards and Wiseguys.

W&W was 20 pages long and covered an alternate WWI and Prohibition era where magic had entered our world and was for the d20 Modern system.

Soldiers and Spellfighters covers just the WWI era and is 75 pages.

Also, it's for our Modern20 OGL modern variant.

So this is a huge expansion and update of the setting, and also bringing it into the Modern20 fold.

The book features a complete alternate history, magic rules for Modern20 and stats for weapons, vehicles and several important historical persons of the Great War era.

mikelaff

Explorer
HalWhitewyrm said:
How does this relate to Wizards and Wiseguys? Same setting, different system?

edit: Jinx! I think Chuck and I were replying at the same time.

Short answer: Same setting -fleshed out in much greater depth. Different (but still D20) system. Reworked and retooled magic system.(The original W+W release was 20 or so pages. When I sent this manuscript in for layout, it had broken 70 pages - most of it new material.)

Long answer: As Chuck said - Soldiers and Spellfighters 20 is an outgrowth of WW that deals with the Great War era in much more detail.

It's got a timeline of the war with more attention given to some of the historical battles and highlights (Somme, Verdun, the Zimmermann Telegram and the Zeebrugge Raid for example). While it's grounded in history - Soldiers and Spellfightes takes the Marvel Comics What If...?, approach to the history of World War I - asking "What if the Great War were fought with magic?" It takes a more in-depth look than the initial release at how the introduction of magic changes the war on the frontlines and on the home fronts.

It's got deeper background on more NPCs (Rasputin, Tesla, Kaiser Wilhelm II , Mata Hari, King George V, French Ace Charles Nungesser, Manfred von Richthofen and General John Pershing -to name a few) and stats for period airplanes (Sopwith Camel, Fokker triplane), tanks (German A7V, French Renault FT17, British Mark V) and weapons.

We've also tweaked, goosed, bent and modified the D20 magic system to tie it tightly into the Soldiers and Spellfighters20 setting.

The decision to use Modern20 was made based based on several factors. Chief among them: Modern20 was a hit - and it's a fun system that addresses some of the weaknesses of D20 Modern, so I decided to go with that. With the new magic rules added to Modern20, I think we've got a kickass system for fantasy gaming in a modern setting

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads