• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rule for daily item use changing

The Halfling

Explorer
Posted by Mike Mearls on RPG.net

RPGnet Forums - View Single Post - Item dailies - WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson
Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts? Why can't daily items powers just be daily item powers, and screw all this milestone crap?

Originally posted by mearls
You are not the only one that thinks this is nuts. We just announced at GenCon that this rule was dragged out back and shot. Daily item powers are now exactly what they say they are.

I didn't see this mentioned in any of the current discussions, but I may have just missed it.

B-

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Not sure on my take of this. As a DM, I kinda like the milestone approach as it rewards my players for pushing on. Resource management and reward system.

As a player, there have been many a minute before my turn debating if I wanted to use a certain item daily use now... or save it until i get another milestone.

When buying items, my priority goes towards encounter and at-will items with nice properties, the dailies are more similiar to a utility for me.

I think I like the milestone approach overall.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
I like the change, but I've never had a munchkin problem. That's why the rule originally existed. So many players try to game the system for all they can and only the written rules have a chance of stopping them. Remember the bag of rats for warlocks? Or the bag of swords with daily powers so you could use one and then grab another? How about the current thread about the Thri-kreen's extra set of arms? Don't complain about errata when they have to tweak the rules to prevent abuse like teleporting enemies up so they take falling damage on the way down.

So now I guess there could be a daily item nova technique, but with the cost in actions and being left without the items for further encounters I don't see much chance for abuse anyway.

jbear

First Post
Good idea! This rule never even got to live in my game. No need to shoot it. It was still born. Looking forward to crossing off another house rule from the list!

DeathMutant

First Post
The per-milestone limitation was probably there for episodic play, like LFR or a Delve, where each adventure assumed the party always started "fresh" and followed a fairly common format of (2 or) 3 combat encounters plus a Skill Challenge so you, generally, knew when to "blow your dailies."

It had no place in a "regular" game and, I suspect, most experienced DMs removed it.

It had no place in a "regular" game and, I suspect, most experienced DMs removed it.
I disagree. It was meant to reduce the Christmas Tree effect, and also to provide an incentive for character to achieve milestones, in an effort to reduce the 15-minute workday.

It wasn't a great implentation, though, and I'm not sad to see it go.

Scribble

First Post
I never officially house-ruled it out, but I never bothered to really track it, or ensure my players were either.

Now that it's gone, it's one less thing to officially track so... Yay? :)

(Also yay isn't a word according to spell check?)

tyrlaan

Explorer
I disagree. It was meant to reduce the Christmas Tree effect, and also to provide an incentive for character to achieve milestones, in an effort to reduce the 15-minute workday.

It wasn't a great implentation, though, and I'm not sad to see it go.
Mearls states later in the same thread that the magic item rarity is the other half of this change, helping to minimize the overloading of items now that the limit on daily item powers will be lifted.

Remove ads