Rule of Darkness -Book II Chapter 3 Last Update 19 June 2008- Book I Completed

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
I know, my girlfriend tended to bemoan mornings too ... I usually was making notes to my campaign worlds / learning / or being "goat". She hates when I woke up at 5 AM, as much as when I was going to sleep "in the middle of the evening !". :p

Be good to her. Had You tried to infect her with RPG virus ? I know, from experience, that on girls it works in small meansures and when it is served in pleasant package. ;)

My buddies hated when I demanded them to act their knights, when we played "Pendragon" and my mom watched. To my great suprise she acquired tolerance to "Rpg stuff" and stopped scolding me as if I were doing something immoral. :lol:

karianna

First Post
Ghostknight said:
Go ahead and do it- I only started writing this after I got inspired by Blackdirge. I kept wondering if there was room for pure fiction rather than campaign writeups or campaign adaptations into fiction (Ala LazyBones story hours- very much worth reading!) Go ahead, take the plunge- it won't ruin your life that much... (Ok, truthfully, my wife moans when I get too involved in writing and stay up till all hours of the morning... :p )

Totally second that and it really doesn't take away from your life too much.... :]. Actually I find it a very rewarding experience, not too mention a good way from my players to remember what they did :)

Ghostknight

First Post
Rikandur Azebol said:
I know, my girlfriend tended to bemoan mornings too ... I usually was making notes to my campaign worlds / learning / or being "goat". She hates when I woke up at 5 AM, as much as when I was going to sleep "in the middle of the evening !". :p

With me, its staying up till 2 or 3 in the morning- she just doesn't get how I can function on only 3 or so hours of sleep the next day. (I generally get up at 5AM to go for a run with some friends followed by a Krav Maga training session)

Rikandur Azebol said:
Be good to her. Had You tried to infect her with RPG virus ? I know, from experience, that on girls it works in small meansures and when it is served in pleasant package. ;)

Unfortunately, shes just not interested. Ah well, what can you do? On a more positive note- I am infecting my sons! My wife would freak if I tried to introduce them to D&D since she thinks it would give my youngest son nightmares, but Traveller is ok :cool: They asked when they saw me preparing some Traveller stuff for a session and I relented. Heh, they are 6 and 3 so let us just say that the role playing aspect is decidely missing- but the "gun shooting game", as my 6 year old calls it, is a great hit and the older at least is starting to get the idea that you can do things besides shoot the bad guy :) Its ok- they ahve a few years to go before its inappropriate for them to be the munchkins they are- after all, they ARE munchkins :lol:

Rikandur Azebol said:
My buddies hated when I demanded them to act their knights, when we played "Pendragon" and my mom watched. To my great suprise she acquired tolerance to "Rpg stuff" and stopped scolding me as if I were doing something immoral. :lol:

Sigh- when Is tarted to play in the 70s the book "Mazes and Monsters" came out, along with all the publicity about the "evil D&D game that was leading children into occultism and devil worship". My mother hated the game, tried to get me to stop playing it, but never got to flat out forbidding it. She just kept sitting down and talking to me about the "terrible game I was playing". (Hilarious really, we are orthodox Jews and don't even believe in the devil, so how she though the game would lead me to devil worship was beyond me...) When I was 16 I wrote an essay for school on RPGs, citing their beneficial aspect in creating creativity, enhancing imagination, improving social skills, improving vocabulary etc. It was good enough that the school allowed me to start a D&D club (I had to get a teacher to sponsor the request, luckily we had a teacher who had the sense to see beyond the negative publicity). It also finally got my mother to calm down about the game.

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 24

Prince D'Fir looked out over the battlements. Inside the walls of the Fort of Peaks, his forces lay ready, awake and alert, prepared for the battle that all suspected would come. The sentries were all on high alert, and tensions ran high. Three weeks has passed since the successful attack on the fort. Ever since then, they had awaited the counter-attack, but none had come. Days passed and the skies were changing from the clear blue of the autumn to the slate grey of winter.

"D'Fir, we grow impatient. Perhaps you err in thinking that Jelial values this fortress enough to want to retake it?"

"Comander Hulia, the Gir'Thia have been invaluable in their assistance. I thank you for that, and hope you will continue on here. I am under the understanding, from Secheriab and Eria, that you are under my command until ordered otherwise? Have you received new orders then?"

The emaciated devil glowered down at the dwarf. His dark eyes flashed with the red of burning flames. "My soldiers grow restless General. They are not dwarves, humans or angels that delight in peace and tranquillity. They delight in pain, suffering and the screams of their victims as they carve flesh into the patterns of their will."

The devil leaned over, bringing his face almost into contact with that of D'Fir. The smell of burnt flesh surrounded him, drowning out the more familiar smell of rotten flowers that was his normal odor. He breathed in and out, hot breath washing across D'Fir's face, nostrils flaring slightly as he stared deeply into D'Fir's eyes.

"Find something for us to do D'Fir. We grow restless. We are devils, not garrison soldiers; we are the Gir'Thia, known for our love of bloodletting, our love of battle. We sit idle for far too long. I do not know how much longer we can wait patiently. We obey you, for the moment. D'Fir, know this.; I am ordered to observe your commands, but your command irritates, as would the command of any mere mortal!"

D'Fir matched the devil's gaze and watched as he straightened and marched out. His thoughts concentrated on the devil and his words, the threat that came through. I never thought I would pray for the arrival of devils, but now I find myself praying for Jelial to attack, if only to distract the Gir'Thia away from thoughts of taking orders from mortals.

He turned back, heading inside for what he hoped would be the quiet solitude of the room he had taken to be his office. It was not to be; in the corridor outside Sister Egrit stood, waiting for him. Her face was softer than that of the fiend, but he could see that she, too, came with problems.

"D'Fir, we need to talk."

The dwarf sighed. "Come in then, we will talk in private."

The room was large; bookcases were set against the walls at various points. The space between them was covered in leather that had been stuck to the walls with thick, black, iron studs. D'Fir headed to the safety of his desk, putting its large, imposing bulk between Sister Egrit and him. She looked around the room with evident distaste, carefully keeping away from the desk, eyeing the red toned wood with suspicion.

"I have told you what that leather is, D'Fir. Take it down and bury it. The skin of innocents should never be mere decorations!" She paused, her eyes meeting his, "And as for this desk, it should be chopped up and buried. The fiendish commander may have loved the idea of a desk made of wood that was tainted, and worse, grown in the blood of innocents sacrificed and burnt. It is not fitting for you to use it!"

"Sister Egrit, did you come here to complain about my office décor and furniture, or is there something of importance on your mind?" His voice came out harsh, his impatience showing. Perhaps this is what caused her to stop and consider what she said next.

"I'm sorry D'Fir, the tension of waiting is getting to us all. Perhaps Jelial is not interested in taking back this Fortress? Perhaps we can relax and start moving people into here permanently."

"No, I am convinced that the counter-attack will come. It is a matter of whether it will come quickly, or when complacency sets in. Perhaps Jelial waits for our union to break apart. After all, he must be sitting and wondering how long angel and devil can work together without trying to kill each other." As he said the last he leant forward, his eyes locked onto hers. "How long do you think angel and devil can work together?"

Sister Egrit stared at him, her mouth opening before closing sharply. Quickly she stood, and her face turned red as she made for the door. "I had come for the reason you surmise, to complain about out erstwhile allies. I will do better. Let them be petty, let them revel in their hostility and meaningless vengeance. The Celestial Host will show them what it truly means to be allies fighting for a just cause."

D'Fir watched as she quickly left, relaxing into the massive, high backed chair. His thoughts bothered him, the worry about the fragile alliance though the crisis was averted for now. How much longer could he hold the tenuous alliance together between allies that had been aeons long foes?

Jeria stood and looked back at the hidden cleft in which the gateway to the cities below stood hidden. He looked at his companions, the green-scaled form of Mekior, with the scarred and bent figure of Gyv clinging to his arm. He nodded to them as he headed for the mountainside, to the point of recall. As the other joined him, the thrice intoned name of Secheriab seemed to echo off the mountains around them. For a moment, it seemed to be a clarion call to everything in the vicinity, a trumpet blast announcing their presence. In that moment Jeria wondered if they had been betrayed, if they would be standing there as masses of the enemy arrived and Secheriab abandoned them.
Then, the darkness of the transition surrounded them, accompanied by bitter cold and the feeling of needles piercing their bodies in a thousand places. It was but a momentary sensation, but one that had them screaming and shivering as they arrived back in front of Secheriab.

It was a new room; large, the temperature comfortable, the walls and floors simple, plastered stone. The room was bare but for some cabinets against the far wall and doors spaced evenly along all the walls.

Secheriab's benign smile seemed calculated to belay any suspicion that the discomfort had been deliberate, but Jeria did not trust the powerful devil. He remembered the simple power of Eria and the painless movement that he could effect.

"Welcome back, my friends. I hope that your trip was a success?" Secheriab eyed the unhidden, unmasked form of Mekior. "I see you have decided to enlighten your friends as to your true form. It is good that you do so, renegade. Perhaps your next step should be to seek out your fellows and encourage them to join the battle."

Mekior eyed him with unconcealed hostility. "You knew, didn't you?"

Secheriab laughed, "Of course I did. That simple illusion was not enough to mask my sight. But why are you so hostile towards me? Did I not keep your secret?"

Before the others could stop him, Mekior leapt at the fiendish lord, his clawed hands outstretched, his lips peeled back to reveal the outstretched fangs. As fast as Mekior was, he was no match for the fiendish lord. With casual ease, Secheriab jumped back, his leg kicking out simultaneously, arching his body into an athletic flip as he came down on his feet, looking at Mekior, who had been thrown across the room by the power of the kick.

"You knew. You told them about me. You betrayed us and left me to be tortured to satisfy your sick, sadistic whim of watching me in pain." Mekior came to his feet, wiping away the blood that dripped down his face, from a gash that split his cheek through to his forehead, the result of the claws on Secheriab's feet.

Jeria turned to look at Secheriab, shock on his face. "Is this true? Did you set us up, send us there, knowing that this would be done?"

By his side, Gyv drew her sword, looking up to the ceiling for the fiendish guardians of Secheriab.

"Did I send you there knowing the cities were there? Yes, of course. I told you they were there, that I just did not know exactly where. As to the accusations that I betrayed you, sent Mekior to be tortured; in a way I suppose that could be said to be true."

Gyv's voice was low, her anger evident as she spat out the words, the volume rising as she addressed Secheriab. "You 'suppose' it could be true? What does that mean? Either you betrayed us, or you did not. Which is it?"

Secheriab faced her calmly, keeping an eye on both her and Mekior as he spoke. "The truth? I let people in the area know that a renegade, masquerading as a human, was coming. I did not address anyone in particular; I did not know who would be the right person. The message reached the right ears though, those of Aspith. The rest of my rumour mongering was that those who were coming were seeking an alliance. I knew once the renegade was revealed, the rest of the message would be believed."

Coldly, he turned away, walking towards a cabinet at the back of the room. Suddenly he turned, confronting them. "It worked did it not? You met with Aspith, got his promise of assistance, the support of the cities? Can you not say that a little discomfort is worth the reward you attained in recompense?"

"A little discomfort? They tortured me." Mekior sounded resigned, his voice despairing rather than angry. "I know your kind Secheriab. You are the kind that the renegades flee. One of those that believes all those less powerful than you are mere pawns, not deserving of consideration, their value only in what they can bring you!"

Secheriab laughed, his benign form seeming to glow with the dark power of Hell as he did so. "What in the names of all the Masters of Hell made you think I was any different? I am a fiend, renegade. I do my Master's bidding as best I can, lest I suffer a fate worse than the one you did. This time it served my interests for you to feel a little discomfort for the greater good of achieving our purpose. Is that not the ultimate measure, that the greater good was served?"

He turned to the cabinet, opening it to reveal an array of bottles of crystal goblets.

"Come, let us leave this fighting and bickering behind. Let us drink to your success!"

Secheriab watched as they came forward, pouring tall, high glasses of wine for them all.

They drank, and as they watched Secheriab smiled.

"There is another thing to drink to. Your friend, Prince D'Fir, now sits in command of the Fort of Peaks. The first battle has been fought, and won." His eyes brightened as he continued, "Let the war begin! Let the blood of Jelial's fiends run freely, let it provide nourishment for our forces. Let it strengthen out troops and our resolve."

The others found the toast strange, but only Mekior caught the glint in Secheriab's eyes as he spoke. What is he up to? He is not to be trusted and he is working towards his own goal. But is it in favour of this world or Hell? And is it to increase his own power or merely the command of the one he calls Master?

Jelial sat in his private study, attended by Gerion. The room was smaller than many his underlings used, but Jelial seemed comfortable within. The walls were bare, thick stone. Gerion knew that the stone hid thick layers of silversteel and lead; perfect insulation against those that would use magic to try and spy within.

"Have you seen Priet recently, Gerion? He seems to have gone missing." Jelial spoke casually, all the while leaning back in his chair, his hands steepled in front of him.

"Me, seen Priet? Thankfully not. You know I despise that little rat, Jelial. He is a worm; powerless and a complete annoyance. I have never trusted him, and suggest you do likewise. Even better, I suggest you destroy the little worm, drink his essence for the minute bit of nourishment it may provide."

Bah the little worm is gone. I made him powerful and yet he never returned from facing Redili. Just what did happen there? Gerion's smile did not reflect his thoughts, but he wondered what had happened in the confrontation between Priet and Redili.

Jelial's expression did not change, but his voice was musing. "Perhaps you are right. He was a rather pathetic creature. You know, Redili tells me of an interesting encounter he had recently." As he spoke a section of the wall dissolved, revealed as an illusion, behind which stood Redili. He was in full combat gear, his swords drawn and held casually at his sides.

"Go ahead and tell him of your visitor, Redili. I am sure that Gerion would delight in your tale."

Redili spoke, his voice beautiful, carrying the lilt of the trained bard and storyteller.

"I tell a story of deception, of hate. Of a servant for a Master turned servant to another." He paused, before continuing.

"Once there was a powerless servant who got ideas above his station. He had a good life and a Master that looked after him, fed him, protected him. But the servant was full of jealousy, he desired more than he deserved. So he went to another, pledged his allegiance in return for the power he craved. "

"With the power came changes; he was no longer himself, but he was satisfied. At last he had what he wanted and he went forth, eager to do his new Master’s bidding." Redili stopped speaking and pulled a string that hung down by his head. From a net held above, the body of Ger'liek tumbled to the floor.

"This one claims to have been Priet. This one claims to be your servant."

Gerion laughed. His voice boomed out, filling the room with its harshness. "Me, turn Priet into something more powerful? I hated him. It was no secret and probably known to all within the Nine Hells. If he had come to me, he would have died before he opened his mouth. Look elsewhere Redili, perhaps the renegades made him an offer; perhaps one of the city lords has a secret font."

He turned to Jelial. "You think I am disloyal? What would you do if I were, send Redili after me? Do you believe he would have a chance to defeat me?" He fell silent and turned to Redili. "I see you are prepared for battle, I have no intention of crossing swords with you!" As he finished speaking, he twisted his body, both hands rising in front of his face as words of power were spoken.

Redili tried to move, to charge into the massive devil with both swords, cut him into pieces. For all his speed, he could not defeat the magic that engulfed him as he moved. The black tendrils grasped him and held his feet fast to the floor, his hands likewise grasped, and pulled backwards. The strength of the tendrils was enough to bow his body and bring more to wrap him up, to hold him helpless on the ground.

"So, Jelial. What is the order, does he live or die?" Gerion's voice was casual, his look at Jelial unreadable.

"Oh, let him up Gerion. He is useful and his loss not one I want to countenance at this point in time."

"So be it, my Lord. I am ever you humble servant." If his voice was mocking, Jelial ignored the tone. The tentacles disappeared from around Redili, who lay there, his body heaving and wracked with pain. The tentacles had left strips of acid burnt flesh wherever they had touched; acid strong enough to eat through the armour Redili had worn.

"Gerion, go and plan the recapture of the Fort of Peaks. Give them some time to stew, to wonder. As ever, you have my full support."

Gerion bowed to Jelial as he left, his steps confident, but his back never turned to the fiendish ruler and his injured assassin.

As Gerion left, Jelial knelt down by the side of Redili. "I was foolish to think to pit you against him. He toyed with you to make a point to me. Do not approach him, not even if you think you can strike first. Gerion is far more dangerous than he appears; he is as fast, if not faster, than you with his blades. We will find a way to get rid of him safely."

Jelial stood, opening a cabinet hidden by the illusion of the plain walls. He took the shimmering green potion and poured it down Redili's throat. The potion worked, its healing energies removing the evidence of the burns, but as it worked, Redili writhed, the agony multiplied as the fiendish potion did its work in its twisted way, using the power of the pain to effect the healing.

Ghostknight

First Post
Glad you liked it- so the question is- are the devils scheming enough for you now? :lol:

Of course, there is still a bigger picture that needs to come out - and which will be the focus of book 2. Yep- the epilogue for this is being finished off, then I start on book 2. ONce this catches up, the rate of posting is going to drop (or elese I have to switch to shorter chapters- no ways I can write 3-4000 word chapters for posting every second day...)

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 25

A lone devil made its way through the tunnels. As it travelled ever deeper into the earth, it was shadowed by movement in front, and behind. The guardians of the city had seen it coming three days ago, and watched as it neared, trying to guess to where it was headed. It moved purposefully, its golden armour highlighting its dark red skin and eyes, which were deep, black bottomless pits, visible from afar in the glow of light from the armour. Down the path on which it travelled, at the final gate to the cavern of Harmony Hall, Delire stood with Gattoup, waiting.

"Who do you think this one represents?" Gattoup looked towards Delire, hoping that the halfling would shed some light on the devil as it moved towards them, and allay his own fears of discovery.

"I don't know. I fear it does not bode well. It is too confident, too sure of itself for any of the hidden factions; but if it represents Jelial, then why does it come alone? Why does it venture towards us with such certainty? If Jelial knows of this settlement, then why not send an entire army, instead of a single fiend?" She looked out, her face reflecting her worry, her small hands continuously darting to the handles of her weapons as if for reassurance.

Gattoup said very little, watching as he saw some of the scouts that ran ahead of the intruder come to the gate and enter. A few moments later, they arrived at the observation point, briefly bowing before Delire and the Militia Captain. One was an elderly human, his hair white and his face burnt dark from the sun. The sight of that face alone marked him as an Outwalker, even before the badge and cloak announced him as such. The other scout was taller than the human, his dark skin and grey eyes betraying nothing more than his race. Like the human, he wore the cloak of an Outwalker.

The human spoke first. "Delire, that fiend there, or some of his kin, were in the lot that attacked Weald Hall. I've never seen the like of its armour, though."

"Its tread beats out a song of woe. It has the look of one that is sure none would dare sing a counter-harmony against it." The voice of the Dark Paeon was measured, poetic; a harmonious melody that soothed the ears. "I have seen the like of this one; it is neither warrior nor mage. It comes as a messenger, secure in its master's power to protect it from attack."

"I thank you both. Go and rest, you have done well to keep this intruder in sight." Delire dismissed the two, watching as Gattoup's eyes followed them in their descent.

"You are pensive, Gattoup. What ails? Do you not trust those two?"

"Not that, Delire. It worries me that Jelial sends this one messenger where I would expect an entire army. What game is he playing with us?"

"We will know soon enough. The scouts were not that far ahead of him; he will be here shortly." The two stood, staring out at the hole in the wall through which the devil would emerge. They remained silent, the conversation running dry as the devil was disgorged from the tunnel. They peered forward into the caverns torch lit gloom as it approached, its confident strides carrying it into the area in front of the sealed gates.

"I call for a hearing and parlay. My Master sends a message that I would deliver."

The devil's voice boomed out, some magic working to make sure it was loud enough that none had to strain to hear it.

"Speak. You will come no further unless you can prove you have need." The voice of Delire was soft in comparison to the fiend's, but it was clear that the fiend heard and understood.

It did not respond immediately, its eyes searching the wall ahead of it. It could not see the one who addressed it; the observation point was hidden, using mirrors to show the area before it. This did not seem to bother the devil, for when it spoke, it did so by addressing those who watched.

"Hear my message, halfling. In three days' time, the moon will be hidden from view. For three days, the world will know utter darkness by night. This time has been declared as Jelial's Revel. My Master will graciously allow you to continue to exist, in return for your oath of fealty and acceptance of one of his court to be overlord of this city. Nothing more need be said, your actions will signify if we battle or become brothers. Listen to my voice to know my Master's wishes so you may obey."

The fiend spread its arms, the golden armour spreading a soft radiance. "Each night of the Revel you must choose one from amongst your number to be offered to Jelial. The offering must be old, respected and unwilling. The offering must be killed publicly while the name of Jelial is invoked. Each morning of the Revel, an offering must be made. The offering must be young, innocent and unwilling. Do this, and peace shall reign once your Overlord arrives. Disobey, and the next set of emissaries will be an army."

Delire looked at the messenger, her face red and swollen in fury.

"Begone, Foul one. Your Master's foul stench clings to you."

The messenger seemed unconcerned with her response, bowing in the direction of Delire and Gattoup, though they were not in the area from which her voice emanated. "Remember, the Revel is in three days. In three days the offerings must be made or your city will suffer."

The devil turned and left; its disdain for them evident in its ignoring the threat of the army behind the walls. The scouts that had followed behind, and now watched as it moved past them through the tunnel, quailed at the sight of its face, the grin and fierce burning in its eyes a promise of the evil to come. On the walls behind it, Delire turned to Gattoup.

"Gather the Council; we need to prepare for war. There is nowhere for us to run. If they march on us, you can be assured that Fort Livian will face an assault of its own and Gunder's Hall is ill-prepared for such a migration at this point. They suffer from a fiend-borne plague, perhaps more of the evil Jelial works at this time."

The three companions stood before the ramparts of Harmony Hall. For Jeria and Mekior, it was a welcome sight of home, but Gyv looked on with serious misgivings. Three years ago she had left for Gunder's Hall, leaving the city to escape the one she loved, but who seemed unable, or unwilling, to turn their love into a commitment. She looked across at Mekior who stood there with his green, scaled skin shining in the bright lights of the city's gates. His face, with its squat nose and burning eyes turned towards the city. His secret had gone unspoken for a long time, and now, revealed, perhaps things would be different, perhaps now they could have the life she had wished for in years gone by; a family to replace the one killed by her unwitting betrayal.

Mekior looked at her, and kissed her gently before he spoke, his words soft.

"It will be interesting to see how the city reacts to me. I am tempted to change back, return to my previous charade; yet at the same time I am reluctant to continue to live a lie. I am famed as a fiend hunter, yet even that reputation may well be destroyed when my true nature is known." He sighed and then looked ruefully at Gyv. "I am a coward. I do not wish to make this decision so I leave it to you, my love. Do you want it known that I am fiend, or would you prefer the more publicly acceptable face of my illusionary form?"

"Stay as you are. I, too, have changed. Let people know us for what we are. If they cannot accept us here, we can go elsewhere. Gunder's Hall would welcome us." Gyv came closer, lining her arm with his, gazing into his face. "I have accepted you, nothing else matters to me." Jeria stood close by, listening, but not commenting, his mind remained set on Aspith and Secheriab, supposed allies, but devils none the less. Throughout the journey back, he had contemplated the growing alliances with growing unease. Would the Lord of the Eighth be happy to depart if they could unseat Jelial? How much of Aspith's story was true, and if it was true, how much could he tell them of the Prophecy of Gerogh?

The three walked towards the city, noting the scrambling of guards, the consternation that they had come so close to the city but had not been seen by those who guarded the paths. Drums could be heard, sounding the alarm, summoning guards to the gates. The presence of the strange green fiend between another of fiendish blood and a heavily scarred human woman did not do much to allay their fears. It was only when they came close enough for the details of their features to be seen, and for Jeria to be recognised, that the guards started to relax. A few of the older guards recognised Gyv and wondered at her transformation. None recognised Mekior, though some wondered at a fiend dressed in the colours of the city and bearing the arms and armour of a fiend hunter, addorned with the badge of their city.

As they entered, Jeria called for the captain of the watch.

"I need to speak with Delire, much has transpired."

"More than you know, Out Walker." The captain hesitated, looking in the direction of Gyv and Mekior.

"Speak, Captain, these two can be trusted."

"Lord Jeria, two days ago an emissary from Jelial arrived." Jeria jumped, startled at the news. The city was known, its anonymity compromised. "They want us to sacrifice people from the city, in the name of Jelial. Few understand the motivation behind this, unless it is just to invoke our fear and show our obedience to his will."

"No, it is more than that, but what it is need be said, in private, to Delire and the council. Where can we find her at this time?" Mekior's voice was harsh, and tinged with fear. Gyv looked at him sharply, but he raised one taloned hand to invoke silence.

"If you want Delire and the Council, you are in luck. At this moment, they sit and discuss what is to be done."

Nodding to the Captain, the three headed into the city, the squad of guards that followed them obvious, their cold iron weapons at the ready, an indication that they were not yet trusted. Many eyes followed them as they moved through the city streets, most people stopped to watch the procession of this unusual group. None challenged them, though, and in time they stood before the doorway that led to the council chambers.

Within the chambers argument raged. At the head of the Council sat Master Harper Darid, clearly tired by the debate that raged around him. At the head table sat only two others, Delire and Gattoup. The three faced the council members, thirty people chosen from the affluent and powerful within the city. As the companions entered the room, a pallid, thin man, in bright green clothing and a large, floppy hat, argued that perhaps the time for surrender had come. From what the companions could see, there seemed to be many that agreed with him. Jeria leant across to the others, whispering softly.

"People grow tired of running. They have seen one city destroyed; they fear the consequences of another battle."

Mekior's eyes blazed crimson, and he stepped forward, his figure garnering immediate attention. All fell silent in the face of an unknown fiend within the council chambers. Delire was on her feet, hands hovering close to her weapons. The sight of Jeria stopped her immediate rush to attack the fiend, but it was obvious that very little would be needed for those deadly weapons to be drawn and wielded.

"You all know me, though you do not recognise me. I am Mekior, Fiend Hunter and long time defender of this city." A simple statement, but it created pandemonium. Dark Paeons, humans and all others within the hall started talking. Shouts of "Traitor" and "Spy" littered the air, till the Master Harpist stood.

"There will be silence; let the voice of Mekior be the soloist in our choir. In time, if necessary, we can investigate the past. For now, let us hear what he has to say."

Mekior bowed and moved, so as to be able to see both those seated at the main table, and those that sat in the chamber before them.

"Jelial calls for sacrifices. He uses the fear of his army to try and force you into obeying. I call on you to think, to wonder why he would do such a thing instead of just crushing the city as he has done to so many cities before." He stopped speaking for a moment. "He seeks divinity. He seeks the power of belief, of your wills fuelling the aether with words of prayer directed towards himself. Do this thing, and you will grant him power to demand a seat as a Lord of Hell. This place will become yet another layer of Hell, any chance of defeating Jelial gone. Denying him may mean war, maybe even defeat for those who sit here, but obeying him means eternal doom."

Gerion looked over his massed forces. Soon they would strike. He mused over the plan that had been decided on, an attack on the first day of Jelial's Revel while the moon lay hidden. As with the attack by the dwarves on the Fort of Peaks, devils with the power to transport others would take the bulk of the forces to the battlefield. A further refinement had been added; a contingent of sorcerers would go first, to hide the devils as they arrived, masking both sight and sound of the arriving army.

Gerion waited until his commanders came forward. Each was a devil of singular appearance. The leader of his cavalry was a strange combination of various creatures. His head was that of an elephant, his body massively built and muscled with thick black hair appearing in places, resembling nothing more than that of a gorilla. His hands were human-like, tipped with shimmering steel nails, his feet the massive pads of a lion with claws that beat a staccato beat on the floor as they slithered in and out of their sheaths. Beside him stood a beautiful, female devil; she wore little more than the three swords at her side, easily drawn by her four arms, her eyes multifaceted and reflecting thousands of broken images of Gerion back at him, her fourth arm bore a small buckler strapped to her forearm. Her command was the infantry.

The last devil gave even Gerion cold shivers whenever he entered the room. His head was huge, a massive oval that contained two tiny, beady, pitch black eyes that never blinked, and a massive mouth filled with row after row of razor sharp teeth. His horrific visage was but one aspect of his being, more chilling to most, however, was his reputation as a wielder of arcane magical might. None knew how potent his magic truly was, and the few that felt tempted to challenge him were most often found as chewed up, dry husks. All stood before Gerion, awaiting his orders.

"We will attack the Fort of Peaks at two bells after midnight. We have discussed the plans, and all know the dispensations for tomorrow's battle. Any questions?"

The oval headed mage turned to Gerion. "Why do we waste our time on the Fort of Peaks? Surely we should just crush the city by the lake, take it for our own. Let the souls of all its dead be offered to our mighty leader in an attempt to bolster his ascension."

Gerion leaned forward, his hands firm on the table.

"Jelial's order are explicit, the Fort of Peaks first. You wish to discuss his reasoning, do so. You know where he holds court." Silence reigned over the group; none was foolish enough to want to appear before Jelial to dispute his orders, not before a summons had been received!

Gerion smiled. "Then in the absence of any further questions, prepare yourselves for the bloodletting to come!"

In Fort Livian, King D'Mier looked over his ranked soldiers. Hasty preparations were being made, the inside of the walls receiving additional bolstering while continuous wagon trains brought in food from the areas outside. Between that, the inside caverns of edible fungi and the deep, underground lake, the city would be well provisioned for a lengthy siege.

Why now? After so long, why does Jelial come forth with such demands, ones which he knows we will never accede to? D'Mier stood, looking over his demesne, worried and wondering what would become of the world beneath the earth if Fort Livian should fall.

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 25

A lone devil made its way through the tunnels. As it travelled ever deeper into the earth, it was shadowed by movement in front, and behind. The guardians of the city had seen it coming three days ago, and watched as it neared, trying to guess to where it was headed. It moved purposefully, its golden armour highlighting its dark red skin and eyes, which were deep, black bottomless pits, visible from afar in the glow of light from the armour. Down the path on which it travelled, at the final gate to the cavern of Harmony Hall, Delire stood with Gattoup, waiting.

"Who do you think this one represents?" Gattoup looked towards Delire, hoping that the halfling would shed some light on the devil as it moved towards them, and allay his own fears of discovery.

"I don't know. I fear it does not bode well. It is too confident, too sure of itself for any of the hidden factions; but if it represents Jelial, then why does it come alone? Why does it venture towards us with such certainty? If Jelial knows of this settlement, then why not send an entire army, instead of a single fiend?" She looked out, her face reflecting her worry, her small hands continuously darting to the handles of her weapons as if for reassurance.

Gattoup said very little, watching as he saw some of the scouts that ran ahead of the intruder come to the gate and enter. A few moments later, they arrived at the observation point, briefly bowing before Delire and the Militia Captain. One was an elderly human, his hair white and his face burnt dark from the sun. The sight of that face alone marked him as an Outwalker, even before the badge and cloak announced him as such. The other scout was taller than the human, his dark skin and grey eyes betraying nothing more than his race. Like the human, he wore the cloak of an Outwalker.

The human spoke first. "Delire, that fiend there, or some of his kin, were in the lot that attacked Weald Hall. I've never seen the like of its armour, though."

"Its tread beats out a song of woe. It has the look of one that is sure none would dare sing a counter-harmony against it." The voice of the Dark Paeon was measured, poetic; a harmonious melody that soothed the ears. "I have seen the like of this one; it is neither warrior nor mage. It comes as a messenger, secure in its master's power to protect it from attack."

"I thank you both. Go and rest, you have done well to keep this intruder in sight." Delire dismissed the two, watching as Gattoup's eyes followed them in their descent.

"You are pensive, Gattoup. What ails? Do you not trust those two?"

"Not that, Delire. It worries me that Jelial sends this one messenger where I would expect an entire army. What game is he playing with us?"

"We will know soon enough. The scouts were not that far ahead of him; he will be here shortly." The two stood, staring out at the hole in the wall through which the devil would emerge. They remained silent, the conversation running dry as the devil was disgorged from the tunnel. They peered forward into the caverns torch lit gloom as it approached, its confident strides carrying it into the area in front of the sealed gates.

"I call for a hearing and parlay. My Master sends a message that I would deliver."

The devil's voice boomed out, some magic working to make sure it was loud enough that none had to strain to hear it.

"Speak. You will come no further unless you can prove you have need." The voice of Delire was soft in comparison to the fiend's, but it was clear that the fiend heard and understood.

It did not respond immediately, its eyes searching the wall ahead of it. It could not see the one who addressed it; the observation point was hidden, using mirrors to show the area before it. This did not seem to bother the devil, for when it spoke, it did so by addressing those who watched.

"Hear my message, halfling. In three days' time, the moon will be hidden from view. For three days, the world will know utter darkness by night. This time has been declared as Jelial's Revel. My Master will graciously allow you to continue to exist, in return for your oath of fealty and acceptance of one of his court to be overlord of this city. Nothing more need be said, your actions will signify if we battle or become brothers. Listen to my voice to know my Master's wishes so you may obey."

The fiend spread its arms, the golden armour spreading a soft radiance. "Each night of the Revel you must choose one from amongst your number to be offered to Jelial. The offering must be old, respected and unwilling. The offering must be killed publicly while the name of Jelial is invoked. Each morning of the Revel, an offering must be made. The offering must be young, innocent and unwilling. Do this, and peace shall reign once your Overlord arrives. Disobey, and the next set of emissaries will be an army."

Delire looked at the messenger, her face red and swollen in fury.

"Begone, Foul one. Your Master's foul stench clings to you."

The messenger seemed unconcerned with her response, bowing in the direction of Delire and Gattoup, though they were not in the area from which her voice emanated. "Remember, the Revel is in three days. In three days the offerings must be made or your city will suffer."

The devil turned and left; its disdain for them evident in its ignoring the threat of the army behind the walls. The scouts that had followed behind, and now watched as it moved past them through the tunnel, quailed at the sight of its face, the grin and fierce burning in its eyes a promise of the evil to come. On the walls behind it, Delire turned to Gattoup.

"Gather the Council; we need to prepare for war. There is nowhere for us to run. If they march on us, you can be assured that Fort Livian will face an assault of its own and Gunder's Hall is ill-prepared for such a migration at this point. They suffer from a fiend-borne plague, perhaps more of the evil Jelial works at this time."

The three companions stood before the ramparts of Harmony Hall. For Jeria and Mekior, it was a welcome sight of home, but Gyv looked on with serious misgivings. Three years ago she had left for Gunder's Hall, leaving the city to escape the one she loved, but who seemed unable, or unwilling, to turn their love into a commitment. She looked across at Mekior who stood there with his green, scaled skin shining in the bright lights of the city's gates. His face, with its squat nose and burning eyes turned towards the city. His secret had gone unspoken for a long time, and now, revealed, perhaps things would be different, perhaps now they could have the life she had wished for in years gone by; a family to replace the one killed by her unwitting betrayal.

Mekior looked at her, and kissed her gently before he spoke, his words soft.

"It will be interesting to see how the city reacts to me. I am tempted to change back, return to my previous charade; yet at the same time I am reluctant to continue to live a lie. I am famed as a fiend hunter, yet even that reputation may well be destroyed when my true nature is known." He sighed and then looked ruefully at Gyv. "I am a coward. I do not wish to make this decision so I leave it to you, my love. Do you want it known that I am fiend, or would you prefer the more publicly acceptable face of my illusionary form?"

"Stay as you are. I, too, have changed. Let people know us for what we are. If they cannot accept us here, we can go elsewhere. Gunder's Hall would welcome us." Gyv came closer, lining her arm with his, gazing into his face. "I have accepted you, nothing else matters to me." Jeria stood close by, listening, but not commenting, his mind remained set on Aspith and Secheriab, supposed allies, but devils none the less. Throughout the journey back, he had contemplated the growing alliances with growing unease. Would the Lord of the Eighth be happy to depart if they could unseat Jelial? How much of Aspith's story was true, and if it was true, how much could he tell them of the Prophecy of Gerogh?

The three walked towards the city, noting the scrambling of guards, the consternation that they had come so close to the city but had not been seen by those who guarded the paths. Drums could be heard, sounding the alarm, summoning guards to the gates. The presence of the strange green fiend between another of fiendish blood and a heavily scarred human woman did not do much to allay their fears. It was only when they came close enough for the details of their features to be seen, and for Jeria to be recognised, that the guards started to relax. A few of the older guards recognised Gyv and wondered at her transformation. None recognised Mekior, though some wondered at a fiend dressed in the colours of the city and bearing the arms and armour of a fiend hunter, addorned with the badge of their city.

As they entered, Jeria called for the captain of the watch.

"I need to speak with Delire, much has transpired."

"More than you know, Out Walker." The captain hesitated, looking in the direction of Gyv and Mekior.

"Speak, Captain, these two can be trusted."

"Lord Jeria, two days ago an emissary from Jelial arrived." Jeria jumped, startled at the news. The city was known, its anonymity compromised. "They want us to sacrifice people from the city, in the name of Jelial. Few understand the motivation behind this, unless it is just to invoke our fear and show our obedience to his will."

"No, it is more than that, but what it is need be said, in private, to Delire and the council. Where can we find her at this time?" Mekior's voice was harsh, and tinged with fear. Gyv looked at him sharply, but he raised one taloned hand to invoke silence.

"If you want Delire and the Council, you are in luck. At this moment, they sit and discuss what is to be done."

Nodding to the Captain, the three headed into the city, the squad of guards that followed them obvious, their cold iron weapons at the ready, an indication that they were not yet trusted. Many eyes followed them as they moved through the city streets, most people stopped to watch the procession of this unusual group. None challenged them, though, and in time they stood before the doorway that led to the council chambers.

Within the chambers argument raged. At the head of the Council sat Master Harper Darid, clearly tired by the debate that raged around him. At the head table sat only two others, Delire and Gattoup. The three faced the council members, thirty people chosen from the affluent and powerful within the city. As the companions entered the room, a pallid, thin man, in bright green clothing and a large, floppy hat, argued that perhaps the time for surrender had come. From what the companions could see, there seemed to be many that agreed with him. Jeria leant across to the others, whispering softly.

"People grow tired of running. They have seen one city destroyed; they fear the consequences of another battle."

Mekior's eyes blazed crimson, and he stepped forward, his figure garnering immediate attention. All fell silent in the face of an unknown fiend within the council chambers. Delire was on her feet, hands hovering close to her weapons. The sight of Jeria stopped her immediate rush to attack the fiend, but it was obvious that very little would be needed for those deadly weapons to be drawn and wielded.

"You all know me, though you do not recognise me. I am Mekior, Fiend Hunter and long time defender of this city." A simple statement, but it created pandemonium. Dark Paeons, humans and all others within the hall started talking. Shouts of "Traitor" and "Spy" littered the air, till the Master Harpist stood.

"There will be silence; let the voice of Mekior be the soloist in our choir. In time, if necessary, we can investigate the past. For now, let us hear what he has to say."

Mekior bowed and moved, so as to be able to see both those seated at the main table, and those that sat in the chamber before them.

"Jelial calls for sacrifices. He uses the fear of his army to try and force you into obeying. I call on you to think, to wonder why he would do such a thing instead of just crushing the city as he has done to so many cities before." He stopped speaking for a moment. "He seeks divinity. He seeks the power of belief, of your wills fuelling the aether with words of prayer directed towards himself. Do this thing, and you will grant him power to demand a seat as a Lord of Hell. This place will become yet another layer of Hell, any chance of defeating Jelial gone. Denying him may mean war, maybe even defeat for those who sit here, but obeying him means eternal doom."

Gerion looked over his massed forces. Soon they would strike. He mused over the plan that had been decided on, an attack on the first day of Jelial's Revel while the moon lay hidden. As with the attack by the dwarves on the Fort of Peaks, devils with the power to transport others would take the bulk of the forces to the battlefield. A further refinement had been added; a contingent of sorcerers would go first, to hide the devils as they arrived, masking both sight and sound of the arriving army.

Gerion waited until his commanders came forward. Each was a devil of singular appearance. The leader of his cavalry was a strange combination of various creatures. His head was that of an elephant, his body massively built and muscled with thick black hair appearing in places, resembling nothing more than that of a gorilla. His hands were human-like, tipped with shimmering steel nails, his feet the massive pads of a lion with claws that beat a staccato beat on the floor as they slithered in and out of their sheaths. Beside him stood a beautiful, female devil; she wore little more than the three swords at her side, easily drawn by her four arms, her eyes multifaceted and reflecting thousands of broken images of Gerion back at him, her fourth arm bore a small buckler strapped to her forearm. Her command was the infantry.

The last devil gave even Gerion cold shivers whenever he entered the room. His head was huge, a massive oval that contained two tiny, beady, pitch black eyes that never blinked, and a massive mouth filled with row after row of razor sharp teeth. His horrific visage was but one aspect of his being, more chilling to most, however, was his reputation as a wielder of arcane magical might. None knew how potent his magic truly was, and the few that felt tempted to challenge him were most often found as chewed up, dry husks. All stood before Gerion, awaiting his orders.

"We will attack the Fort of Peaks at two bells after midnight. We have discussed the plans, and all know the dispensations for tomorrow's battle. Any questions?"

The oval headed mage turned to Gerion. "Why do we waste our time on the Fort of Peaks? Surely we should just crush the city by the lake, take it for our own. Let the souls of all its dead be offered to our mighty leader in an attempt to bolster his ascension."

Gerion leaned forward, his hands firm on the table.

"Jelial's order are explicit, the Fort of Peaks first. You wish to discuss his reasoning, do so. You know where he holds court." Silence reigned over the group; none was foolish enough to want to appear before Jelial to dispute his orders, not before a summons had been received!

Gerion smiled. "Then in the absence of any further questions, prepare yourselves for the bloodletting to come!"

In Fort Livian, King D'Mier looked over his ranked soldiers. Hasty preparations were being made, the inside of the walls receiving additional bolstering while continuous wagon trains brought in food from the areas outside. Between that, the inside caverns of edible fungi and the deep, underground lake, the city would be well provisioned for a lengthy siege.

Why now? After so long, why does Jelial come forth with such demands, ones which he knows we will never accede to? D'Mier stood, looking over his demesne, worried and wondering what would become of the world beneath the earth if Fort Livian should fall.

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 26

The night was dark. No moon lit the sky, and what light might have filtered down from the stars above, was hidden by the thick clouds which seemed to be outlined with a malevolent red glow. Upon the ramparts of the Fort of Peaks, D'Fir looked out. Dwarven eyes pierced the dark, seeing the stark features of the surrounding rock and stone, noting the complete absence of movement. He was flanked by Sister Egrit on one side, Commander Hulia on the other.

"They come. They are out there." D'Fir's voice was hard, its tone was one of certainty. "Make sure that all are prepared, get the pots of oil over the fires and make sure the ballistae and catapults stand ready." A dwarf standing behind him nodded, moving off to make sure that all those on watch received the message, and that those that rested within did so with weapons nearby.

Hulia sniffed the air, his emaciated form towering over the dwarf. His eyes met those of Sister Egrit. "The air stinks of magic this night. I will make sure those under my command stand ready." He smiled; no warmth, but pure malice coming to the fore. "I am sure that Sister Egrit will do likewise for those that report to her. No doubt their patience wears thin awaiting the opportunity to remove the heads of fiends."

Sister Egrit did not look at the taunting devil, gazing out across the bare stone instead. She raised her arms, before quietly chanting the words of power, investing her eyes with a blue glow.

"Nothing is out there, not now. But like you, fiend, I feel it. Something will happen this night."

Beneath the earth, King D'Mier stood upon his walls. He walked their circuit, the broad path behind the battlements wide enough for him, General D'Haan and Eria the Red to walk abreast. The frenetic activity of the last few days had died down. The wagon trains were gone, the workmen now garbed in the armour of the city's militia.

D'Mier examined the troops as he passed them by; the professional soldiers with their scars and warrior's queue a marked contrast to the fear-struck militia that had trained, but never been in a major battle. The faces of the aged veterans reflected their belief that they would not see out their battle. He saw many that had been comrades in arms, many that bore scars of battles past.

"D'Haan, what do you think? Will Jelial strike this night?"

The General stopped walking, moving to gaze out across the open killing ground before the city's walls. He gazed at the cavern roof, at the massive nets which held rocks to drop upon the foe below, at the areas which he knew contained stake lined pits, cunningly covered so as to be undetectable, and to not give way until a large number of the enemy passed over them.

"They will come, cousin. But we will prevail. Never fear that! Our defences are strong, our men well armed. The least of our soldiers bear cold iron weapons, and some even wield ones enhanced by the enchantments of the mages from the Tower Arcane."

Eria laughed; his face the blank, polite facade of the trained diplomat.

"When Jelial comes, it will be with an army the likes of which you have never seen. My Master stands ready, but don't think your alchemist's tricks in making weapons deadly to us, or a handful of enchanted blades will be enough this time. I seek the blessing of the Lords that I will survive this night, or at worst, find myself banished from this plane."

The three stood in silence, wandering what manner of messenger would be sent this night.

Many miles away, the tight corridors of Gunder's Hall carried the stench of death. White robed men pulled carts through the streets, entering houses to find abandoned corpses. Unlike Fort Livian, or Harmony Hall, Gunder's Hall was carved entirely into the rocks. Passages, barely the height of man, wound throughout the structure, connecting homes to farms and the city, in which the politicians, judges and lawyers gathered. Handcarts of bodies trundled across rough stone floors, to a crack, through which the lava flowing below could be seen. The bodies were stripped, and then consigned to the fiery depths below. There were too many dead; too many that would never wake up for it to seem real.

Through these passages Kint wandered, despair written into his exhausted features. His white tunic, emblazoned with the symbol of the healer's guild, brought many to their doors. Always he went within, only to find more struck down by the plague, their faces swollen, their bodies covered with the pus-encrusted, open lesions that seemed to appear from nowhere. Like the others within the guild, he had but one thought: We shall all die! Keep our gates closed, hide the ways, let the disease remain trapped within, let us be the only victims.

Without a battle being fought, the city was dying.

The beating of drums reverberated across the city. Fiends wound through the streets, dancing, singing, fighting and :):):):)ing. No holds were barred as the wine flowed, the merriment reaching its pitch as midnight approached. Massive processions of fiends snaked through the city, each fiend dragging a terrified slave through the streets. Some had collars around the necks of slaves, and used chains attached to the collars. Others used crueller devices: barbed hooks sunk into ears, loosing tears of blood as they led their slaves; others used hooks through other parts of the slave's body, genitalia being favoured by many. One devil received much praise from his fellows for his inventiveness in piercing a hook through both eyes of his victim.

The procession flowed past a massive altar, and as each devil came before that altar, the slave's heart was ripped from his chest, the blood spraying upon the ground as the heart was tossed into the fire at the base of the massive statue of Jelial that overlooked the debauchery. And the chants and dedications to Jelial rose in the night, as fiend and fiend-born celebrated their master.

The city rang with the sound of metal upon metal. Across the city the smithies rang with the beat of the weapon-smith and armourer. Fletchers worked their trade, and the piles of arrows grew, only to shrink as young boys with push carts moved them to the men upon the walls. Robed men poured over stacks of iron ore, overseeing its smelting, and subsequent mixing with those elements needed to transform it into the cold iron deadly to the invading fiends.

Within the central citadel, a group stood around a table, discussing preparations and plans for what they knew lay ahead. "Another group has been arrested." Keral entered the room, and contemplated those that stood around the table: Delire, Darid, Jeria, Mekior, Gyv, and Gattoup.

Delire looked at the Captain of the City guard, his features unchanged from the time he had greeted her and Jeria, and the column of the refugees from Weald Hall.

"What was it this time?" Jeria's voice contained barely restrained anger, "Another group of rich dilettantes ready to kill some innocent victim in the hopes that it will save them?"

Keral sighed. He had been waiting for Delire to speak, but Jeria's bitter comment had come before she could. He turned to face the half-fiend, and one of the few Master Outer Walkers within the city.

"They are scared. Most have lived through the destruction of their city of birth; now they fear the same thing may happen again. The idea of subjecting themselves to the rule of Jelial is seen as an acceptable alternative." He fell silent for a while before continuing. "They believe the words of the messenger, that an overlord will be sent there, and that nothing more will happen. They choose to believe that Jelial will not interfere beyond that, they seem to be willing to trust the word of a fiend." He hesitated, his quick glance at Jeria, and then Mekior spoke to them all mentally, his mental voice as loud as any words.

"Fools! Within months this city would be filled with fiends. Let Jelial in, let his Overlord rule within these walls, and very soon they will learn the meaning of suffering. They think their money will save them; they think they will somehow buy safety." He looked at the others gathered round. "I suggest we execute them, publicly. Let the fear of our retribution if they attempt to placate Jelial with sacrifices be greater than their fear of the coming war!"

The Master Harpist, and city ruler, turned to Keral. "The fiend speaks my mind. Kill them. Hang them where the bodies will be seen. Let none move the bodies till the battle begins."

Keral looked at Darid, "Master, they say they follow the example of the Council. They point to the trust placed in the word of a half-fiend and fiend. Is it necessary to kill them for misplaced trust?"

The Master Harpist broke away from the table, striding towards Keral. For all his years of battle training, for all his knowledge, and skill, of fighting, Keral still did not see the drawing, raising and thrust of the dirk. He looked at the dirk of the Master harpist, the sharp edge which lay tight against his throat,

Darid leaned in close, his face against that of Keral. "I am not one of our brethren to kill unnecessarily. Unlike those of us who hide in the dark, who make enemies of all, I do not kill unnecessarily. War is upon us, there is no time for the questioning of orders." He stepped back, leaving Keral with a thin line of red under his chin. "Understood?"

Keral nodded, bowed and walked out, leaving the cut to ooze blood as he went to hang a group of frightened, despairing teenagers.

Jelial looked over the square, over the writhing snake of the dancing devils, the screams of slaves being slowly tortured, their pain, suffering and deaths dedicated to him. He smiled. Just one unholy revel would not serve to elevate him; but over time, when people whispered his name, in either curse or prayer, it would occur. He would have his place at the table.

He turned, facing Redili, who stood in his armour, weapons at his sides.

"You want to drink from the font? Why, Redili, you are so much more than most of the peons out there, who knows what drinking from the font will do?"

"Revenge, Jelial. I can never revenge my defeat of Gerion while I remain in this form. Physically, he is too strong, too fast, more than a match for me. Magically, his inherent power is unsurpassed except by the most powerful of magi. I know I risk much when I say it, but he is probably a match for you, both physically and magically."

Jelial laughed, and looked at the assassin. "Redili, if I were to make you powerful enough to defeat Gerion, you would be powerful enough to defeat me. If your supposition that Gerion is my near equal in power, do you think I am foolish enough to create one that could be my undoing?" He walked over to Redili, and placed a hand on his shoulder. It shone white, melting through the armour, melting into his shoulder, almost to the centre of his chest.

Redili fell and, before consciousness left him, saw the grinning face of Jelial bending down, heard him whisper in his ear. "I will keep you alive, let you heal, slowly. When my ascension is complete and you can no longer threaten me, you will have your revenge." Redili felt himself fade into blackness, but etched across his mind was the thought, REVENGE, but even he could not say to whom it should be directed.

Delire stood with the Master Harpist, watching the passage down which the messengers said the devil came. This time, the mission of the gold armoured messenger was known, but that made the tension all the worse.

"Will they attack tonight?" Gattoup's voice came from behind the two senior figures in the city.

"I fear so. I doubt he expected us to comply; their army will be ready. But they will have to march here, the ore encrusted walls of the outer caverns will stop them teleporting too close." Delire peered into the mirrors that showed the outside wall, and she whispered into the speaking tube nearby. "Do not shoot the messenger; he is protected for the moment. If he should return once battle is engaged, riddle him with every arrow you can find!"

Behind Delire, Mekior laughed.

"You play at war as if the rules must be adhered to! Do you think Jelial will obey the rules of war? Let him know it will be war, by the simple expedient of sending back the tongue of the messenger, on a platter next to his head."

Darid regarded Mekior. "You have hardened since you chose to wear only your true form. You used to display some elements of the human form you wore; now you come to resemble your brethren out there. 'Ware the change Mekior; watch you do not loose that which makes you more than just another fiend."

Silence descended over the group, and the stress of the wait for the messenger to appear was almost a solid weight hanging over their heads. When he did appear, his golden armour and red skin obvious to the watchers, their relief at the confrontation was almost physical, now there was at least a target for their attention.

The messenger turned his head, surveying the buttressed wall and the rows of archers.

"Greetings, oh loyal citizens of Jelial; I have come for the heart of your first sacrificial victim. Open the gates so I may enter and claim the heart of your first offering to our mighty king." He stood, expectantly in the silence, then shook his head and spoke, his tone mocking.

"You have forgotten that tonight is the night for your declaration of loyalty? Or have you mislaid your offering? Oh, my Master will be most saddened by this. I will have to hurry to inform him. Be sure that he will send further messengers, perhaps you will have found the offering by the time they arrive!" He turned, marching back down the passage, awaiting no answer.

"Gattoup, they will come this night. Make sure all entrances are being watched." Delire looked out once again. "I will go and get what rest I can; this night will be long."

On the mountain peak overlooking the Fort of Peaks, Gerion watched as his force slowly assembled. Giant- sized fiends with long, oversized arms stood ready, each with a bag of boulders by his side. Massive phalanxes of sword wielding, human-sized fiends wearing steel breastplates stood ready to march forward and scramble up the siege ladders borne upon the back of elephant-sized beasts- that sported hard bony carapaces invulnerable to petty missiles; beside them stood rows of devils that resembled the infantry general with voluptuous, feminine bodies, dainty horns upon their heads, but a curved sword in each of their right hands, and a massive shield held by their two left hands.

Behind them, their job but to wait until either the walls were breached or those within came out, sat the fiendish cavalry. Their horses were pitch black, thick snake-like scales covered their bodies. Their heads were crocodilian, sharp teeth clearly visible, their hooves glimmering dully in the night. On each back sat a black devil wearing black plate mail that bore the symbol of Gerion upon its breastplate. Their faces were hidden by black helms with closed visors, but the simmering red of their eyes could be seen glowing within. They wore swords at their sides, but each grasped a lance and shield, ready for the charge, should the need come.

"They are all here, General." The voice of the oval-headed general of the sorcerors was filled with excitement. "Shall we begin?"

Gerion looked up to the sky above, at the red-lined clouds. He felt the slight breeze upon his face, inhaled the last breath of the night that would not be laden with the smell of battle, and answered, "BEGIN!"

A bugle call and a group of sorcerers turned to the walls of the Fort, raised their hands in harmony, and released a salvo of fiery balls that hit the walls and exploded. The battle had begun.

The messenger hurried down the passage. The army awaited his return, the signal to march to war. The refusal to bow to the demands had been expected and eagerly awaited. So, he was surprised when the form of the former ruler of K'op D'Regh stepped out before him. He glanced at the figure, encased within red armour, the mottled red and yellow skin of his face uncovered.

"Hilo. Jelial seeks you, he would love to know why you chose to betray him."

Hilo looked over to the messenger, and then, with a nonchalance that belied the speed of his strike, decapitated the messenger with a swipe of his talons. He bent down, pulling the decapitated corpse so the blood squirted into his mouth, sucking it out when it no longer came of its own accord.

"Jelial will just have to hear of this night's doing from another." An evil grin lit his face as he bent down, surrounding the body with a pale orange powder. From another vial he sprinkled sweet-smelling water, ensuring that none of it touched his own skin. He struck a talon against a rock, creating a spark which, in defiance of the laws of nature, remained alight and jumped into the orange powder, creating a burning ring around the body. "Let your body lie here, its soul entrapped for eternity. None will be summoning you, and neither shall you return to th eplains of Hell!"

He turned and walked away, the body disintegrating into ash upon the floor. A thin, grey wisp danced in the air, a thin keening audible to any who approached thereafter.

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 27

D'Fir stood behind the walls, watching as the Gir'thia danced amongst the flames, laughing at the fiery blasts, basking in their warmth as if they were sent for their entertainment. D'Fir, though, was concerned; the explosives blasts might not be enough to destroy the stone walls, or the fire able to burn through them, but the explosions were gouging chunks into the fortifications. If the barrage continued for long enough, the walls might start to weaken. He turned away, seeking Commander Hulia.

Gerion stood atop the hill watching the sorcerers fiery barrage, at the fiends within dancing in the flames that flickered around them. He turned to their commander, frowning. "How much longer can they keep this up? The walls seem too thick for this barrage to be effective, and those atop the wall do not seem to mind the flames."

The oval headed fiend turned his black eyes to the general, his teeth showing within his mouth. "Truly, they tire. If you think it useless, then let us stop this now. Save their remaining strength for when it will be more effective."

"Very well, do as you think best. We shall move to the next phase of the attack." He smiled as silence fell, and then laughed as the sound of rocks striking the fort came, at the chunks of wall dislodged, and the Gir'thia diving for cover. He looked approvingly at the giants, at their arms slinging the rocks with deadly accuracy and power, far more effective than any trebuchet built by mortal engineers.

Within the fort, the first of the rocks took those upon the walls by surprise. The devils of the Gir'Thia that had laughed at the uselessness of the fiery barrage, who had laughed at the Dwarven fighters that had hidden themselves from fear of the flames, were taken by surprise when the first rocks fell amongst them. When a rock smashed into one of their heads, throwing blood, bone and brains onto the dwarves below, the Gir'Thia’s mocking laughter quickly quieted, their derision and mirth disappearing in their surprise

The Gir'Thia dive down, scrambling for cover behind the crenulations. Outside, under cover of the barrage, the siege ladders started moving forward. Their move forward quickly met by the return barrage from the Fort, as, with a word of command, D'Fir had the massive catapults shoot their buckets of stones over the walls, smashing into the devils that crept forward. The sheer size of the stones did the job that rendered lesser weapons ineffective, crushing devils beneath their weight. The fiends hit did not die, but even their unholy strength left them trapped beneath the rocks, unable to participate further in the battle.

Within the walls stone blocks moved and immense ballistae, loaded with cold iron tipped javelins, sprayed their lethal loads out, scouring the devils below. Screams of pain mingled with howls of rage as the troops below broke into a run, heading for the walls, the beasts bearing the siege ladders lengthening their lumbering strides to keep pace, their bony ridges strong enough to fend off even the javelins shot with force from the ballistae.

Sister Egrit and her fellow angels now came to the fore, joining hands in groups of ten, concentrating their power into a single force, channelling their combined might through the one that stood at the fore. They concentrated, and those who stood at the apex began to glow, eyes turning silver with suppressed power. They stepped forward, peering through the ballistae ports, extended their hands, and released lances of pure power into the advancing juggernauts, sending bits of bone, skull and green blood onto the devils running beside them. It seemed that the invading force might be stopped, but the angels were few and the forces of Gerion seemingly endless.

The tramping of the army caused vibrations that could be felt by those within the hall cavern. Vibrations that could be felt, that wormed their ay into your blood, leaving behind fear and uncertainty. The forces of Harmony Hall tensed, readying themselves for the first assault, waiting to see the shape and form of the army that came to destroy them. For now, the approaching army was invisible, the vibration of their approach, combined with a deep chant, understandable, and chilling, to those that understood the tongue of fiends, its menace apparent to all who heard it, regardless of their understanding.

Blood and souls to feed the fonts. Blood and souls to feed the altars. Blood and souls to feed Jelial. For those listening, the prospect of a clean death seemed welcome over the promise of having their souls devoured. If any thought that this might bolster the defenders, spur them on to fight better to make sure they did not end up on an altar, being drained of both blood and soul, they were mistaken. The words in the dark, infernal tongue of the fiends were chilling, creating despair and a longing for death.

Those within started to wonder, what was worse, the anticipation, or the actuality? Nervous soldiers stood upon the walls, the growing dread of what approached fuelling imaginations. Most stood firm, but not all were trained soldiers, not all had the nerve to stand and wait. Many were young, barely out of childhood, with but scant knowledge of how to use the weapons they gripped with white knuckles. Those worst affected sunk to the ground, whimpering in fear.

Then the music rose from within. The Master Harpist’s voice rose, aclear note that was somehow magnified, clearly audible to all. The note of his people's voices swiftly joined his. He carried a small harp; its sound magnified by his magic, his voice carrying to every corner of the city. As his melody weaved across the city, as it caressed the ears of each of the Dark Paeons, they raised their voices, all combining, finding their place in the growing harmony. The humans, halflings and others that stood amongst them, those that had sunk in despair, found their spirits raised, their courage restored.

Delire looked on, her face filled with awe. Tales told of such magical music, how the Master Harpist that ruled wound magic into the very notes, bound the people together, enhanced the music of each. The tales did not tell of the majesty, the power of such music, and she watched in wonder as the demoralising effect of the devil's tactic on approach was destroyed, leaving the defenders even stronger than before. She looked at where Jeria, Mekior and Gyv sat, and smiled. "There is still hope."

Gyv looked at her, her scared face resting on the armour-covered chest of Mekior. She smiled back, but it was a cold smile, filled with hopelessness, not sharing in the optimism of the halfling. Even with the majestic music that swirled around them, Gyv was lost in despair, in memories of children being dragged away in chains and a husband’s blood dripping off her hands. For her, the coming battle was a sacrament, a validation that her life still held meaning after her unwitting betrayals.

Jeria rose ready, his axe strapped to his back, a bow and quiver dangling from his hands. He left the room silently, headed for the walls. Mekior gave Gyv a long hug, before kissing her forehead, and grabbing his own bow and quiver. His sword hung at his side, swinging slightly as he headed out behind Jeria. Gyv jumped to her feet, a look of disgust in her face as the two left the room.

"I have been a warrior for longer than Jeria has been alive, and he leaves me here? Does he believe that my scars prevent me from wielding my sword any less effectively than before?" She stood up and grabbed a bow she had taken from the stores and her own quiver. "I am a far better shot than either of those two." She, too, marched out, leaving Delire alone in the room. Delire sighed, and followed the rest out, walking to where she knew the commanders of the forces sat, knowing the time had come for her to make the decisions that would lead to life, or death.

The sounds of battle were clear within the fort. D'Fir stood, receiving messengers that came continuously, updating him on the disposition of forces and the ongoing battle without. He watched the runners going, those coming in with the news of the battle ever more tired, more bloodied. The latest was a grey bearded veteran, one with whom he had shed blood in previous campaigns.

"It goes badly, Prince. We kill many, but there are always more. We cannot take to the walls, for fear of the rocks. The angels destroy the beasts that bear the siege ladders, but they begin to tire. Soon they will be exhausted, and the fiends will make the walls."

D'Fir bowed his head in thought, and then raised it.

"Go. Find Commander Hulia and Sister Egrit. We need help; Hulia had better be able to get some."

D'Mier looked over the walls, still pacing, waiting and watching for an enemy he knew must come. Behind him, General D'Haan stood silent, his face a mask that showed no emotions, reflected no thoughts.

"My liege, they will come. We will stand stoic, solid. We will remain true to the generations that have gone before. We will fight well and, if necessary, we will die well. What we will not do is become worshippers of that monster, that fiend that seeks to become a god."

D'Mier turned to look at the General, surprised at his vehemence, at his bitterness. "D'Haan, you are my cousin and you were the closest of my father's friends. Until this day, I have never heard you talk like this. What has changed, D'Haan?"

The General looked at D'Mier, and then gazed out over the walls.

"Did your father ever tell you of the time we ambushed a fiendish war party that had come below seeking slaves?"

"I believe so. Wasn't Liet, your late wife, one of those they had in chains? One of the ones destined to be a slave?"

A smile came to the General's face at that recollection of Liet, but too soon, it was replaced by an expression of pain as he continued. "There was confusion, chaos run amok when those captured were put to the sword by the devils. Even as we sought to free them, the devils sought to kill them, wasting time to perform that task rather than mount a defence against our attack. We wondered at their actions, but rejoiced in it, knowing that it made the battle easier and saved the lives of our own warriors.

When the battle was over we counted the costs, and looked at the slaves they had chosen to kill, rather than mount a coordinated defence." He paused, looking at the king, the horror of the moment still fresh in his mind.

“The devils in that group were all ones that had been summonsed here; none were destroyed in defeat, merely banished to Hell, from whence they could again be called. They chose banishment, and the creating of despair, over a futile effort at defence due to our superior numbers and the lack of any powerful fiends amongst them.

They had chosen their victims well; children and babies lay dismembered, bleeding, dying slowly. We did not have the means to save them; we had to choose- watch them die slowly, or spare them the pain by killing them ourselves." He fell silent, his eyes dead. "We spared the children their pain, and there was not a dwarf amongst us that day that did not swear revenge. The attack against Crossroads, the victory at the Fort of Peaks, both brought a small measure of satisfaction.

My king, nothing has changed, but a battle tonight will bring the peace of revenge completed, or death."

The passage leading up to Harmony Hall was wide enough for two carts abreast, or twenty soldiers in ranks; the massed files of devils filled the passage. At the head of the column marched heavy infantry, pikes pointed forward to discourage any cavalry charge, swords swinging by their sides. Behind them a group of crossbowmen marched, thick metal shields borne upon their backs, ready to fire over the heads of the infantry. All had a single look, lacking the individuality of more powerful devils; thick, bald, red heads with black crests down the centre, no nose but two oblong slits between eyes set behind thick bony ridges, their mouths filled with sharp teeth.

Behind them came elephant-like beasts of burden, towing siege engines behind. Following behind those came the more powerful devils, each upon a mount that moved with the grace of a great cat, but had a skin of black scales, a spiked tail and a flat face with short, sharp tusks. They joked amongst each other, while avoiding drifting too close to the general that commanded them.

Degrith looked at the army around him, the supply wagons and camp followers behind. He rode a dragon, one he had captured and tamed aeons ago, long before he had come to this world. It had grown in stature and might till now it allowed him to ride from friendship. It was far too mighty for him to defeat in combat, only friendship kept him upon its back. He scratched it behind its ears, the red scales rippling under his touch. The immense head turned to regard him.

"Your soldiers do not seem to appreciate you." The voice was deep, a hint of laughter within. "Or perhaps it is me they object to? Many wonder why I abide your presence. They have spent too long plotting and scheming; they have forgotten the simple pleasures of friendship."

Degrith, sitting atop his old friend, laughed. "They are fiends; they have not forgotten the pleasures of friendship- they have never experienced it! Much the same could be said of your kin, could it not? How many of your kind have enduring friendships or loyalties beyond themselves?" He fell silent as the chant of the march rose about him, as each foot, fiend or mount, rose and fell in unison, shaking the ground, vibrating the walls, freeing small stones that dropped from the ceiling, bouncing loosely along the ground. He looked up, concerned.

"Don't worry, General. The roof will not collapse on us. Unless they have set it to do so, like they did to destroy the army Gerion sent against them in the city from which they fled."

Degrith turned to regard the speaker. Smaller than he, just over seven feet tall, but with four arms, each heavily muscled and adorned with battered bracers upon each forearm. The speaker was easily identified: Miedda, a well-known duellist and favourite at Jelial's court. Curious, and a small wonder in itself, that he had left the comforts of the city for such a campaign.

"And how would you know? The rock above us will not be dissuaded from dropping for fear of your scimitars, or by your charming tongue." Degrith's look was one of disdain; he had little time for some petty noble who felt like a taste of battle, who was there to merely bask in the glory of a victory, but would flee at the first taste of defeat. He expected anger, defiance, perhaps the ranting of a noble that thought he had not received the respect he felt was his due. What he did not expect was laughter.

"Ahh, General, you know little of me. I was not always at court. I did my time as a mercenary, trying to rebuild a fortune that was lost to the family when the Lord of the Third decided he had one general too many, and confiscated the family estate. Seems that our family had endured too long, too many born devils, and not enough promoted from lesser forms. He used my father to demonstrate to others why they should not think of ever being disloyal, or why they should not allow too many powerful whelps top be born." He stared out, at the ranks before him. "The Lord of the Third can be very inventive, and I was forced to watch, an object lesson to cement my ties to him. After all, how many in the Hells care about family?"

"So, you fled, worked as a mercenary and then came here? Still doesn't explain why you think you know why the rock is safe."

"True enough. My time as a mercenary taught me much. I fought in many of the skirmishes that the Lords indulge in. Everyone denies that any battle is taking place, even as opposing armies clash on the field of battle. It is funny in a way, armies of mercenaries fighting for money, in battles that no one actually cares about, where who wins or loses is but a temporary situation till the next battle. When last did the borders of the circles change? How often do the extents of the demesne of one duke shift into that of another. No one truly expects there to be change, for one Lord to take over the realm of another, yet the battles still go on."

"And so it was when I found myself fighting in the interminable tunnels between the fifth and sixth circles. I learnt much about rock then; about what was stable and what was dangerous." He glanced at the roof, at the walls, running his hands along the rock of the walls. "This tunnel is old rock; it will not collapse without more assistance than some noise and vibration."

"You speak like a renegade. Family loyalty, no allegiance to a lord, save the coin of your master, no ..." He was cut off, as the chant broke, from stones that flew out from the wall, cutting into the orderly ranks of the devils. Screams assailed his ears, as bolts of lightning cut through the ranks.

"Yes, I am exactly like a renegade!" Miedda's voice was soft, the warm hiss of his breath felt against Degrith’s cheek, as the blades bit into Degrith’s side, their magic biting, unbinding his very being. Beneath him, Degrith felt the dragon buck, its head trying to twist around enough to get at the attacker. It would be too late, already the world faded around him as the call of Hell surrounded him and he fell into its grasp.

With a smile, Miedda disspeared as the dragon's jaws darted down, trying to spear him on razor sharp teeth. And the keening of the dragon rose, a cry of mournign for a millenia long companion dead upon his back. And as devils poured into the ranks from the side, the dragon mourned, seemingly uncaring of those that now assailed him.

Within Harmony Hall, the column of devils had just come into sight. It stretched back into the darkness, the chant and precision marching shaking the walls of the first defences. Archers stood at the ready, knowing their range would be limited, as they could not arc their arrows due to the roof of the cavern; no matter, the enemy was as constrained as they were, even more so for thos just emerging from the tunnels.

Sheltered by cornices and crenulations ballistae were loaded, sheathes of cold iron tipped javelins stood ready to be sprayed down into the advancing horde. Behind the walls, attached to pulleys for easy lifting, massive cauldrons of molten lead stood ready to be lifted aloft and poured onto any who came too close to the walls. A group of dwarves, experts at mining and sapping, patrolled the walls from the inside, monitoring the ground and walls for the telltale vibrations and tremors that would indicate the enemy trying to tunnel from beneath.

The ranks gathered behind the massive iron and steel gates, reinforced by bands of silver-steel, gifted to them by the Fort of Livian. They stood ready, those who would ride out and attack the devils when the time came. Mekior stood amongst a group of fiend hunters. They looked at him with unadulterated hate, and many contrived to accidentally bump into him, to have the hafts of weapons dig into spaces between his armour, a few even accidentally hit him in the head with gauntlet covered hands as they loosened muscles before battle. Mekior stood firm, the reaction less than he had expected; at least none had attacked him, yet...

To one side a group of Outwalkers stood. Not used to working in large groups, they splintered into the pairs that commonly worked together, master and apprentice or two journeymen standing together. Those masters that commonly worked alone had paired off, or stood in a threesome with another master and apprentice. Jeria stood by a massive half-ogre, Blised, a cousin of Gruzz, a young Outwalker to whom he felt a sense of obligation.

He started when he saw Gyv arrive, her sword swinging at her side and bow in hand. She saw Mekior, but steered away from the Fiend Hunters, making her way to Jeria. She looked at Blised and smiled.

"You look like Gruzz. Any relation?"

"Yeah, he was my half-brother. Our late, and unlamented, father did not care overly much about forcing himself onto different women. " He looked over Gyv, her scarred features, the oft-used sword. "You knew him?"

Gyv looked away, tears in the corner of her eyes. "Yes, I was there when he died. If not for me, perhaps he would still be alive." She stopped speaking, just standing quietly by the two.

None of those behind the gate could see what happened, but they the heard cheers and shouts of encouragement. A messenger came running down, a wide grin across his face. "The devils have been ambushed, by another group of devils! The sentinels say they saw a dragon go down! Delire has ordered us to charge out, attack them head on while they are occupied with the attack on their flanks."

The cheers from those gathered below echoed the sounds from above, fading into a battle dirge as the Dark Paeons mounted and prepared their lances for the charge. Their mounts were not like the few horses that some lucky humans had, but massive lizards, bred within the caverns. Faster than horses in short bursts, they were also more fearless and less likely to bolt in a fight, though far slower over long distances. They sang as the gates were slowly wound up, holding their charge until the crossbowmen had loosed a volley into the ranks of the pike men, starting to break their defensive position.

They charged forward soon after, a massive group in a wedge, the mail coats on the lizards making a din loud enough to almost drown out the dirge that drove the warriors on.

The archers and ballistae loosed a volley into the front rows of the pike men, the arrows and oversized javelins cutting into them. The pike men maintained their discipline and remained focussed forward; shields and armour blocked most arrows but little could block the javelins released from the powerful machines of war. More fell, weakening the defensive wall as the wedge burst into their ranks. Lances snapped, impaling devils upon their iron tips. Swords came out, blades reflecting the cavern’s dim lighting as the lizards cut a path through the ranks.

Running behind them, came the Fiend Hunters; a chaotic mass of superb fighters that burst into the gap provided; devastating to those pike men that had not dropped their weapons and found they were defenceless against their swords. The ranks of the Dark Paeon infantry came behind, more disciplined than the Fiend Hunters, and as effective en mass. The Outwalkers flowed along the sides, using their bows first, with devastating effect, the cold iron tipped arrows arcing over the front rows, slaughtering the devils behind before raising their own weapons to cut into those devils that had survived the barrage of arrows. Caught between the fiends behind, and the forces of Harmony Hall before them, the devils of Jelial's army discipline broke, and the real slaughter began.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases