Rule of Darkness -Book II Chapter 3 Last Update 19 June 2008- Book I Completed

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Don't let minions, like Jelial, to disturb Your magnificent creative processess. :]

Take all time You need to write things, Ghosty. We won't abadon You just because of little waiting. ;)

Ghostknight

First Post
Chapter 31

Jeria waved the guard’s forward. Before them, a young Outwalker motioned the party forward. Jeria had spent much of the trip trying not to laugh at the earnest young human, obviously one of those who had heard the exaggerated tales of his exploits. It bothered Jeria that the ruling council refused to allow him to correct the stories that were rapidly growing around him. It seemed that they felt it served everyone for him to be a larger than life hero. Everyone but himself- and even with all of their rationalisations he refused to take up the mantle as the Chief of the Outwalkers or to take a seat on the ruling council. The Master Harpist had not taken that refusal well!

He moved with the group of diplomats, mostly dwarves travelling from Fort Livian to Harmony Hall, though a few Dark Paeons had used the caravan, with its heavily armed guards as an opportunity to return to their homes after visiting, or more generally doing business with the dwarves. Bringing up the rear, riding next to a cart filled with cold iron, rode Mekior. In deference to his dead love, he wore his natural shape. To make his allegiance more obvious, he had engraved, and embossed in gold, the symbol of Harmony hall- the city’s coat of arms easily visible into the scales on his right shoulder. On the left, he had the coat of arms of the destroyed city of Weald Hall, though here the embossing was in black, his mourning for the lost city not yet done.

Mekior smiled and nodded at Jeria as he saw his gaze upon him, but his smile slipped as he gazed beyond his friend. Jeria turned quickly, in time to see the legs of the young Outwalker standing in the front disappear down the gullet of the massive cave worm before them. The guards moved forward quickly, pushing the diplomats behind them as they freed their crossbows from their backs, bending, and working their cranks, loading them with bolts of cold iron. Other guards took up position before them, their pikes sticking out in front, forming a defensive wall of sharp points.

Mekior looked at the massive black and purple worm. “Jeria, you know this thing? The non-tainted ones are used for mining in some areas underground. The tainted ones are stupid, just keep it away from people and you should be able to pick it off!”

Jeria didn’t look back as he answered. “I have seen the ones used for mining, they are half the size of this one.”

Jeria raised his arm, and the crossbowmen knelt, their aim steady as the worm rushed forward, falling back before the points of the pike. As Jeria dropped his arm, the crossbowmen released their bolts, their cold iron tips sinking deep into the flesh of the worm. Enraged, and not yet dead, it reared up, crashing down onto the pikes. Several men were flung upwards from its weight pushing against them; one had the handle of the pike driven backwards into him, the end piercing his mail, driven into his midriff, crushing his diaphragm, pushing bits of ribs into his lungs. He sank to the ground, coughing blood into his hands.

The rest of the guards reformed into a circle surrounding the worm, poking and prodding it, slowly widening its wounds. The ground began to get slippery from the ichor of the worm that was spurting out, while two moved their wounded comrade away from the combat arena. The ground was rapidly becoming wet, making the footing treacherous on the slippery, wet rock. The crossbowmen frantically reloaded, then turned to release another volley into the enraged, near mindless creature. Finally, the combined effect of the cold iron, and lost body fluids could be seen working on the worm as it collapsed, twitching feebly as it tried to reach the group, but could no longer move.

Jeria moved forward, kneeling by the wounded man. He examined the open wound, the chips of bone, and the ichor that had splashed onto the man, mingling with his blood.

“I’m sorry”, his whisper was inaudible to all but the wounded man, and the two guards that had moved him. With tears in his eyes, he drew his dagger, keeping it out the wounded mans view. Eyes locked together, he quickly drove it in, beneath the chin, punching through skin, cartilage and veins into the brain. Standing, the two guards quickly lifted the body onto the back of the iron bearing wagon.

The group fell back into position, and moved off, heading down the passage, past the new tunnel burrowed by the worm. As they moved past the hole, the guards moved between the diplomats and the opening, nervous what might come out, what unknown areas were now linked to this formerly safe passage. All passed by safely, all seemed fine, and as it disappeared into the darkness behind them, the light from their torches disappearing into the distance, no one noticed the figure emerging, the twin glows beneath the helmet contemplating the figures now deep in the darkness ahead.

Grix watched as the group moved onwards, chuckling to himself, happy with the result of his little experiment. He extended his senses, moving them beyond the mundane, into the arcane realms and beyond, feeling the currents around the young half-fiend. The power and potential were obvious, the question was how to turn him, corrupt him to his service. With the Archmagus and this one serving him it would be an easy matter to gain a seat at the ruling table.

Mekior, felt something, but could fathom no reason why; he just knew he was uncomfortable, watched. Turning he looked back into the darkness, but his eyes were defeated by the darkness, and the arcane power hiding the demon from his sight. Disturbed, knowing he felt something, but unable to account for it, he moved forward, urging his mount till he rode alongside Jeria.

“There’s something out there. I don’t know what it is, but I know it is there.’

Jeria looked back, his eyes taking a faint sheen, piercing through the darkness, but seeing nothing more than the empty darkness not even his vision able to see through the arcane protection hiding Grix. He stared backwards, waiting as the rest of the convoy moved past him. He trusted in the Fiend Hunter’s instincts, in his ability to detect fiends and their works.

‘We will push on. We can reach the city’s gates by late tonight, if we push forward and take no rests. Stay behind, watch our backs. I will let the guards and diplomats know what is happening, and break the news that we are going to push on with no breaks.’

Mekior nodded at Jeria’s words. “No one is going to like it. The guards will follow orders, but you may have to drag those useless diplomats along.”

Jeria laughed. “I’ll just whisper in a few ears. A little hint that we may be being followed should be enough to get them moving.” His face turned serious, “of course that is not just a hint, but a suspicion we both share. Truthfully, I have no desire to hurry back. Young Shedrig has a large family, and over protective mother, who is also a council member. She will create a scene about his death, and most likely bring it up in council. .And the death of Kirilos was blow. He could have survived that wound, but there was no doubt that he had been infected by the taint with that amount of tainted fluid on him. I hate the decisions of command, Mekior, having to decide whether a wounded man, one with whom I have fought, drank and wenched, will get the healing draught or the merciful dagger,”

Mekior clapped him on the shoulders, falling back, keeping watch for what he felt must be there, but could not be seen. In the meantime, Jeria moved forward, letting first the sergeant in charge of the guards know of the forced march, and then the merchants, diplomats and hangers-on. As expected, the soldiers accepted, the decision, the merchants clenched their teeth and said nothing, while the diplomats raised their voices in complaint. Assistance came from an unexpected quarter as one of the Dark Paeons, who had decided to travel in the safety of the caravan, spoke up.

“Be quiet, all of you! You make a cacophony of sound that reminds me of the out of tune noise emanating from striplings in their first concert. Do you forget who speaks? This is the Outwalker that brought the ones that saved us. This is the one who led the group into areas in which no other would venture, who spoke to ones before whom others trembled. If he says there is danger behind us, then we must take his word and do his bidding!”

The rest of the group looked at the Dark Paeon. Throughout the trip he had been quiet, moving in silence, never bonding, never talking in a way that would bring attention to him. Now, for the first time, the others truly looked at the young man. He did not seem remarkable, until one took in the details. A cloak cut in a certain fashion, a flash of colour from beneath the sombre black he wore, the little earrings, with shining stones- heartcells from deep within the earth. This was no Dark Paeon from Harmony Hall, but one from one of those other cities buried deep, and hidden well, one pf those who had cut themselves off from the other races in favour of keeping their slaves and a solitary existence. Questioning looks flashed between them, since when die those cities venerate the half-devil?

Jeria smiled at him in thanks as the disgruntled diplomats fell silent, amidst a mix of curiosity, pique and shame. The Dark Paeon bowed his head and smiled, before moving along with the rest of the group, sticking to the edge, and to him-self.

After eight hours of marching and the group was losing its cohesiveness. The grumbling of the diplomats had moved from a subdued murmur to continuous and loud protests. Protests that had become loud enough to lead the sergeant of the guards looked questioningly at Jeria. Jeria shook, his head. They were two hours away from Harmony Hall, attempting to quieten the diplomats now would create more problems and delays. With an exchange of hand signals, the sergeant directed part of his force to the sides while Jeria dropped back, joining Mekior at the rear.

Mekior looked disturbed, his green scaled skin showing a sheen of some oily substance, an effect Jeria had not seen in the many years he had known the fiend. He reached over, his hand lightly touching the fiend-hunter’s shoulder.

Mekior jumped, his hand darting to his sword as he twisted to face Jeria. He relaxed as he saw his friend, but his eyes held a hint of panic.

“I don’t know. Something is out there. Something or someone. Perhaps if I had grown up in the planes of Hell instead, of being one of the native born I would understand more, know more. But all I have is fragments, vague stories of the effects the powerful can generate. I don’t know what is out there, and, for all my abilities at detecting at fighting fiends, I am scared.”

Two hours. May the Gods grant us just two more hours of peace. Jeria let the group, including Mekior, move ahead. His gazed travel backwards as he relaxed and let his mind free. He raised his hand to his mouth, the red skin hovering besides his dark red lips. He bit down, tasting the bitter blood, and surge of power as he swallowed. He had only attempted this a few times since the power of his blood had been revealed in the battle outside Harmony Hall, and always in secret. He stood still as the power surged through him, as his face changed, the skin darkening till it was almost black, his eyes becoming deep red pits in which flames danced.

“Well done, fledgling. “ Grix’s voice came through to Jeria as he stared at the demon before him. “Most impressive for one who knows so little of himself and is stumbling blindly along; learn the power of your blood, it will serve you well.”

Jeria drew his axe, grasping it near the blade, letting the blood from where he had bit through his skin drip down the blade.

Griz eyed the axe, with the blood winding down the blade warily.

“Never fear fledgling, I am not foolish enough to attack you. Not when you can see me. I don’t know which would prove more potent, my enchantments of protection, or your blood; but I do know I have no desire to test the matter.”

Grix stepped back, circling round Jeria warily.

“I bring a warning, and a word of advice. First the warning. Beware your allies, there are those whose despair takes them beyond the mundane limits of sanity, and in their abandoning of all sanity, they embrace far more power than they know. As for the advice; know that Jelial’s grip tightens as he grasps at divinity. If you seek to break that hold, then you must travel north, travel beyond sane limits to the very edges of reality.”

Jeria looked at the demon, his voice stressed with the control he had to exert over his body from the rage and power suffusing his body from the blood.

“Who are you? Why do you tell me this?”

“I am Grix. And some of your questions will be answered when you understand that he who brought on my downfall, thinks to now use me to his own ends. A bargain has been struck, but his insanity, though increasing his power, has made him careless. The bargain makes us face one another, would make me bring on your downfall. And if you follow my advice, that is your most likely fate. If you do not follow my advice, then you have already lost.” Grix smiled, a most unpleasant sight, but one that did not trouble Jeria for long. For even as he let his control go, as he let his power drive him to swing his axes, a feint in a half circle that turned into a slash upwards, the axe blade swinging up, blood dripping as it slashed upwards towards Grix, who disappeared, teleporting to his place of safety.

Jeria stood, trying to reign in his anger, the blind fury that overcame him each time he tasted his blood. He moved in jerks as he fought down the fury, fought down the urge to turn around, to sink his sword into the bellies of the smug, loud diplomats, the parasites his men had defended, and died for! Kirilos dead, for what? For those rich, obnoxious dandies that complained about a little march? Jeria turned, screaming somewhere deep inside. He knew he should calm down, he knew that those ahead were not his enemies, but the blood ruled him.

He stumbled forward, his sword swinging forward as he moved past Mekior. His bloodshot eyes turned towards Mekior, contemplating the half-fiend. In the light, the dark embossing of the symbol of Weald Hall was invisible. Perhaps on purpose? Maybe he had made it so when he met his friends in the dark, when he had plotted their downfall. He turned to Mekior, to the fiend he was sure had betrayed them, brought that worm onto them, killed his men.

Mekior looked at Jeria, saw the change in him. He could see the change in Jeria’s skin, the eyes that were red pits in which flames danced, lips black with suffused power. Mekior felt fear, real fear. He did not know what had happened to Jeria, but he could feel the power, could feel the fiend within. He stepped back, scared of what he saw, scared of the obvious power Jeria had. And he knew that Jeria was by far the superior of the two if it came to a clash of weapons.

“Jeria, what is wrong?” Mekior continued to back away, his eyes on his friend as he did so.

“You betrayed us, did you not? You brought the worm to us, fed my men to it. You have always been in with your fellow fiends, merely biding your time until you could do the most damage. You just lost control did you? Just sought to spill a little of our blood, and thought we would never find out!’ Jeria stalked forward, his axe held low, both hands on the shaft.

Mekior took in the words, his appearance, the blood dripping along the axe. He reached out with his mind, trying to make contact, to touch his friend mind to mind, but all he met was a maelstrom of fury, a raging tempest that threatened to engulf his own mind, sending him fleeing in terror.

‘Ah my friend, whom have you faced? I will not run. Strike me if you must, but I will not fight.” He stopped spreading his arms, the light from the phosphoresecent moss on the walls giving his green scales a strange yellow air- making the emblem of the lost Weald Hall dance in the dim light.

Jeria stalked forward, a sneer on his face as he raised his axe. He brought it up, the blade of cold iron silvery in the yellow light, black were his blood dripped along it. He held it suspended, ready to strike, but the blow never fell, for from behind, undetected by him in his single minded fury, a dwarf gave a blow to his head, knocking him senseless and sending him sprawling.

Mekior heaved a sigh of relief.

“My thanks are endless, corporal. But what brought you back here?”

“I came to see that you were all right, fiend hunter. I saw Captain Jeria here menacing you, and could see he was not in his right mind? You think it taint?’

“I do not detect taint within him, but there was something following us earlier, and whatever it was disappeared a short while back, just before he returned and confronted me. Keep him under watch, but keep him safe, we will ask Sister Egrit and the other healers to look at him when we are within Harmony Hall. If it is taint, and he cannot be recovered, then at least it will not be me that condemns my friend!”

“Its true what you say, fiend hunter. But the Captain here is never the one to spare himself hard decisions. I guess that’s why he is Captain and we are not. I, too, would never be able to make the decision that would condemn a friend!”

Soldiers loaded the unconscious Jeria onto the back of one of the wagons. The muttering of the onlookers was loud, and the accusatory tone many were taking against Jeria set Mekior on edge. He whirled around, only to have the sergeant place a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“Carefully now! They are scared and looking for someone to blame. We only have a few more hours march to the city, and then they will be off our hands. “

Mekior held himself back, his back to the diplomats and merchants as they went on ahead. He searched down the corridor, his senses straining, trying to detect that chilling presence he had felt earlier, but seemed to have disappeared. Every instinct told him that Jeria must have encountered something, someone, and that his condition was as a result of the encounter. What he couldn’t understand was how fast the taint seemed to have affected Jeria, if taint it was.

Their arrival back in the city was a muted, despite the diplomatic reception. Tired and angry from their forced march, the diplomats had shrugged off the festivities and made their ways to their respective lodgings, embassies in some cases, rooms in some of the better inns in others. Mekior had watched them disperse thankfully, able to focus his attentions on his unconscious friend. Jeria had yet to stir. So Mekior watched, scared of the result, as a fiend hunter bent down and pierced his skin with a testing pin. The two fiend hunters stood together, though the human would not look at Mekior; since he had revealed his deception and started to wear his natural form none of his former compatriots had spoken t him, not just because of his deception, but because of the doubt it raised- if they had been unable to detect him, how many others had similarly infiltrated the city?

So they stood, watching the prone body, bound to a stretcher with chains of silver metal, laced with cold iron, strong enough to hold all but the most powerful of fiends. Was he twitching? Was his body about to convulse, to tear itself apart as the taint within fought with the poison of the testing pin? Or was he just lying their, free of taint and assailed by some other malady? They waited, and when the bells tolled and no change had come over Jeria, Mekior breathed a sigh of relief; his friend bore no taint, but the mystery of his condition remained; he showed no signs of waking.

Ghostknight

First Post
Epilogue

Outside in the market, the cries of the hawkers rebounded along walls, penetrating into windows covered with thick drapes. Gerion turned to look at the woman laid out on the floor. She had been stripped, and was chained, spread-eagled across the floor. Red welts were raised across her body, forming arcane symbols which flowed as she writhed in pain.

He watched as his minions worked on the intricate carvings in her flesh, and he compared the scarred, weathered flesh, to the voluptuous flesh that Sianar had possessed when she had been ordered to bed his son. The years of punishment, of working in painful conditions, had damaged her, and left her with none of her previous beauty. Once Jeria had escaped, all around him had been punished- from guards to slave girls. Truthfully, Gerion had been surprised to find her still alive. Well, that would change soon enough, and hopefully her death would give him the information they sought.

One of those that had been carving up her flesh stood and came up to Gerion.

“Master, the work is complete. The ritual may start.”

Gerion nodded, ‘Very well, every one leave this room.

Silence descended, except for the moans that came from the mutilated woman. Soft moangroans that came from a mouth without a tongue or lips, from a body rapidly losing strength as her blood flowed, pooling on the floor beneath her. Gerion moved around her, his feet beating out a pattern, his lips moving in a silent chant. The woman convulsed, her back arching in pain, her mutilated torso pushing into the sky. Still Gerion chanted, his feet beating in a rhythmic dance, his hands etching arcane symbols, bewildering motions too fast for a mortal hand to make, a mortal eye to follow. He continued as the woman’s gurgling sounds, the piercing, shrill cries of pain from a mouth unable to form anything articulate burned out, the magic sustaining her, preventing unconsciousness, her pain fuelling the spell, until a small blue wisp detached itself from her body, floated into the air, landed in a specially prepared bowl. Smiling, Gerion stepped forward and crushed her head in his hands. Licking the remnants from his fingers, he took the bowl, and the wisp of Jeria’s essence that had remained on the woman, and left the room.

Aliat paced around the tower, waiting. He peered out over the ramparts into the nothingness of the other-worldy realm into which it projected. He awaited the return of Grix; of the news of the death of the hated scion of Gerion, of the death of Jeria. If he could not have revenge on the murderer of his kin, he would have his satisfaction in the death of his son.

The return of Grix was accompanied with the sudden feeling of constriction, of his arms being bound to his sides. His eyes burning, Aliat turned to face Grix.

“What is the meaning of this? You are bound to obey!”

Grix laughed, running a sharp claw down the side of Aliat’s face, leaving a line of blood. Aliat screamed, his face burning from pain as the poisin from Grix’s claws burned into his face.

“Whoever taught you the rites with which to summon me, sabotaged you. They only taught you enough to compel me to service, but once that was complete, I was free to do as I wished. And that was to return here to gain my own revenge.”

Horrified, Aliat watched as Grix approached. As Grix reached out to him, he snapped out of his fear induced paralysis, and pronounced a word, filled with arcane energy. Grix merely smiled as the arcane energy rolled over him. The word had been imbued with more than just the power to dispel him, it freed Aliat from the magic the bound his arms, freeing them to move, to surreptitiously begin the movements to call even more powerful magics.

Grix’s hand closed over Aliat’s head, and started squeezing. Pain filled Aliat, but through it he managed to concentrate, his tongue twisting through words that burned his throat, that were never meant for a mere mortal’s mouth, his fingers flying, dancing as they shaped, manipulated the energies only one as well versed in the arcane as he could sense. Within seconds his hands were limned in burning black energy, sinking into the body of the fiend, ripping into Grix’s very essence, cutting him off from his own plane of existence before shredding, dissipating him emptiness, destroyed forever. Staggering up, he felt the blood flowing down his face.

He stared at the empty space in which Grix had been standing, his eyes alight with delight, and madness.

“Farewell Grix, named in truth as As’lik’Gerit’Derito’ulk. Did you really think me so unprepared as to not know your true name and how to destroy you forever? Did you think I would let you survive to exact revenge upon me?’ He laughed; a mad laugh that would have chilled any who heard it, if any had been there to hear him. “The question is, how far did you pervert your orders before returning to me?”

Rage, anger, a red plane filled with spikes. Blades diving through red air trailing blood, slashing into the intruding mind. Mekior plunged on, trying to penetrate into the mind of his friend. His mind, under attack. dived in, trying to understand what kept Jeria in his comatose state. Three weeks had passed, and still Jeria languished in the coma. No clues had been found that gave an indication as to his strange behaviour before he had been subdued. As time passed, Mekior had grown ever more desperate to find what ailed his friend, until he had decided to try this desperate course.

Pain filling him, every breathe an effort, Mekior sat by Jeria, foul smelling sweat dripping off his brow, cheeks and chin onto Jeria’s face. Mekior remained unaware of the sweat that dripped down, his entire being subsumed in the struggle to penetrate the psyche of his friend. Pain assailed him, the psychic pain of the mind he invaded defending itself. Pure rage swept over him, a physical force in the psychic realm. Heedless of the damage to himself Mekior pressed onwards deeper and deeper into the torment. Those watching saw his body start to reflect the damage his mind was taking. Large gashes appeared in his skin, leaking foul smelling, greenish ichor which marred the stone of the floor.

A healer stepped forward, her hands limned in pure, holy light. As she reached forward, Sister Egrit’s fist shot out, knocking her away.

“FOOL! He is a fiend, a full blooded one, the holy energy will harm, not heal!” She looked at the fiend, obviously dying from the battle he fought within the mind of Jeria.

“Long have I held this, and long ago I swore never to use it. Is it not strange how the profane can suddenly be holy?” Her hand reached into a small bag she carried. It was a strange bag, covered with runes denoting the holy sphere, mixed with runes of binding and hiding. From within, she withdrew a small vial. Its very look was disturbing; A small black skull, the holes blocked with a red veined black stone. The skull bore five horns, each with razor sharp edges, in a crown atop of three empty chambers which had once held eyes, the jaw was filled with sharp incisors. Carefully she lifted the crown of horns from atop the skull, revealing a spout. The smell of rotting corpses filled the room, and got stronger as Sister Egrit poured a thick, black liquid down Mekior’s throat. Even as most of those in the room gagged, the gashes on Mekior’s body flowed together, leaving his skin healthy.

Inside Jeria’s mind, Mekior had felt his strength ebbing. Surrounded by the shards and cutting, flaying blades, he had tried to flee, only to be blocked in all directions. Now, strength filled him, and hope, fuelled by desperation led him to take one last desperate gamble, to put all his remaining strength into one last probe, a beam of pure darkness that cut through the blades and shards, that paved the way for him to find the core of Jeria that did not rage, and bring that up to the light. And with that last push, he left Jeria’s mind, back to the room of healers.

“North. We go north.” Jeria’s voice was low, weak. He coughed, and a healer leaned forward to dribble water into his mouth.

“Hush, Jeria. You have been ill. Rest and then we shall talk.” Sister Egrit’s hand caressed his brow, pouring holy energy into him, thankful that Jeria was merely fiend blooded and thus not opposed to her powers.

“Ahh, that feels better. But we cannot wait. I don’t know how long I have raged. I faced a fiend, perhaps the most powerful I have ever faced outside of my father. He did not attack. He just warned me against my allies, spreading dissension and lies as is the wont of fiends. He said to go north, to beyond the limits of sanity. It did not make sense then, but in my rage my mind was freed, and I discovered that I could walk certain paths to discover the truth. In the north there is a discontinuity, a crack in reality, and that is where the Jelial’s trap for the celestial spheres lie. Break that, and the celestial spheres will be able to descend and help us in our battle against Jelial.”

He sighed. “But with a return to sanity I cannot walk the paths, and the way is no longer clear. There is also danger, not just from Jelial and his hordes, but from what creates the discontinuity and maintains it. They are not fiends; I do not know what manner of entities they are, nor how Jelial attracted them to his service.”

Sister Egrit’s eyes were alight with hope- at last, an end to the trap that had destroyed so many of her kin.

“By the light of the celestial spheres, who cares what the beings are that stand in our way. Get rid of the infernal trap, and we can have allies we trust, not emissaries from the Lords of Hell or exiled rebels who aspired to the throne of Hell.” She started pacing, but a few paces taking her from one end of the room to the other. ‘We must go, we must find those who block the celestial spheres. With the help that could be drawn from there, we could mount a proper defence against Jelial, without risking the souls of all those below by consorting with devils.’

The small group moved into the light of day. Jeria led the group, Sister Egrit close behind, her eyes alight with hope and enthusiasm. Mekior trailed behind, in close discussion with D;Fir, granted leave by his father in an attempt to find a lasting solution to the world’s travails. The last member of the group was new to them all, sent by Aspith as his emissary and aid In the quest. Dialre was tall, her musles well defined. She wore finly crafted chainmail, each link a blend of silversteel and cold iron, the padding underneath replete with enchantments of protection- detectable by those attuned to the arcane.

Unexpectedly, Mekior turned to her. D’Fir stood behind, and to her left, his axe held ready, Mekior in front.

“Tell me, now. Is there anything we need to know about you?” Up front, Jeria and Sister Egrit came to halt, watching the scene behind them.

“What do you mean? What do you need to know?” Dialre licked her lips clearly nervous.

Mekior’s form blurred, his natural form coming to the fore. “Its quite simple, really. Are you what you seem or do you hide your true self? Secrets can but harm us as we move forward. If you hide something, tell us now.”

“I know of you, and Sister Egrit. I have nothing to hide. I am human, and nothing more. Test me, if you will, I am not possessed, tainted or hiding any other form. I am just as I appear.”

Mekior peered at her, and Sister Egrit’s eyes glowed briefly, with her giving a brief nod to Mekior.

“My apologies then, let this be an end to the matter.” Mekior bowed quickly to the Dialre, before turning to move forward once more. The group moved forward, heading into the far north, heading into the unknown, into realms that no one had trodden in millennia.

Ghostknight

First Post
The end of Book 1

And gere endeth book1- book 2 Prologue will be up in a weeks time. I will be trying to post a chapter a week (if I can get them out faster- then I will, but currently 3000-5000 words edited properly seems to be my weekly output...)

Ghostknight

First Post
Nice to see the regular readers still around!

I had a very productive writing session last night (I worked late- got home still in a work mode to a sleeping wife and kids.) I should hopefull yhave the prologue of Book II out before the end of this week (assuming nothing untowards happens...)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Regular readers

I suspect most of us who encouraged you on on the beginning still read the story. We just don't comment too much :)

Still good work, keep it up.

Now stop complaining about lack of readers and get on with the story ;)

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Neurotic said:
Now stop complaining about lack of readers and get on with the story ;)

Yeah, don't you hate those story hour authors that make you wait a long time between updates? Man, the nerve. :lol: ;)

But seriously, Ghostknight, you are one prolific writer. I mean you've been doing this for what, 3 months? And you already have 31 chapters. That's 8 more chapters than Metamorphosis, and I've been writing that frickin' thing for three years. :lol:

Don't worry about finding readers because -- good writing + frequent updates = many happy readers.

BD

Remove ads