• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rule of Three 14 NOV 2011...

samursus

Explorer
I think that's what minions are for, but I agree that they are perhaps not tough enough to be satisfying.

Good point on minions... as much as the mechanic seems cool in theory, personally, I find the metagame knowledge that minions only have 1 hp takes away from the satisfaction of the "one hit" kill that in past editions used to bring about a round a high-fives when a PC one-shotted a monster (because of crits etc). On reflection, I wonder if I miss the swinginess of combat. For the record 4e is one of my favorite editions, and I think it brought a lot of great ideas to D&D.

I am excited to see what they come up with for the rumored 5e... hopefully creating something modular so that we can create a system that is mostly the D&D that floats each of our respective boats.

Balesir

Adventurer
I am excited to see what they come up with for the rumored 5e... hopefully creating something modular so that we can create a system that is mostly the D&D that floats each of our respective boats.
I wish I could share your optimism. What I value in the latest D&D is the clarity, balance and comprehensiveness of the rules for a specific type of play. I would love to see "modules" or anything else that expands the range of play topics that it covers, but having several "modules" that do combat differently, and some that do social encounters differently, and some that do exploration differently - I just don't see that a clear, coherent and balanced set of rules will be the result, whatever combination of "modules" I select.

Remove ads