• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Rules Compendium! / Amazon.com page
Tired of hauling all of your D&D rules supplements to the gaming table? Having trouble finding the rule you need? The Rules Compendium supplement takes all of the game's most important rules and presents them in a single comprehensive, easy-to-reference volume for players and Dungeon Masters. In addition to presenting the rules of the game, the Rules Compendium incorporates official errata as well as behind-the-scenes designer and developer commentary explaining how the rules system has evolved and why certain rules work the way they do.

:cool: This is a great idea, I'm looking forward to its release. :cool:

I'm also looking forward to the Rules Compendium. The only thing I found amusing in the ad copy was this line:

"Tired of hauling all of your D&D rules supplements to the gaming table?"

From what I have read about the Rules Compendium it really won't do anything to reduce the number of supplements that you use at the game table. It will explain a lot of the more difficult D&D rules though. I must admit that what I read may have been pure speculation though. Only time will tell.

Olaf the Stout

Thomas Percy

First Post
I have my own "Rules Compendium" from a long time,
it's a binder containging photocopies of interesting imho rules and monsters from nearly all WotC books (from other publishers too).
I think my binder has one advantage above anounced splatbook, I can add there rules from books that will be relaesad after "Rules Compendium".

Li Shenron

Legend
What rules? How did they choose what's in and what's out?

And if the target of the book is to put all "important" rules into a book to carry over at the game, why adding weight with behind-the-scenes explanations?

Thurbane

First Post
I'm really curious to see what will be in this...I mean, with so many 3.5 supplements out there, what will and won't make the cut? So many rules, so few pages... :p

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Li Shenron said:
What rules? How did they choose what's in and what's out?

And if the target of the book is to put all "important" rules into a book to carry over at the game, why adding weight with behind-the-scenes explanations?

Filler.

As I understand it, each rule is supposed to be on a separate page. The books 160 pages.

I'm not impressed with what I've heard so far.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
Filler.

As I understand it, each rule is supposed to be on a separate page. The books 160 pages.

Ditto.

I can see it now.

Ability Scores

Grappling

Hit Points (Or maybe death and dying will get their own entries.)

Turning

Perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be something useful to those who already know how to play the game but if two dummies books can't get people to understand, another hardcover of designer's notes ain't gonna do it either. Give me a Feat and PrC compendium and leave the explanations of the clunky system in the CORE rulebook in an easy format so that new people can get playing.

Mercule

Adventurer
Nightchilde-2 said:
Filler.

Urgh. This may not be a "must buy", after all.

Then again, I'm wondering if the Magic Item Compendium should have been on my "must buy" list. It's starting to sound like it isn't so much of a "compendium" of existing rules, like the Spell Compendium as it as a collection of new ideas.

The main use I see in buying the compendiums is that it reduces my overall book load and organizes the whole collection much more logically (rather than five mages of magic items in each of 20 books).

If the RC actually eliminates the need for me to referrence some of my books, then it's a good buy. If it is commentary w/o including the full rule, then it's a waste. If they have some cutesy organization scheme to it, then I won't be happy, either. If it's both cutesy and fluff, then it will shine as a beacon of oops.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
I'm also looking forward to the Rules Compendium. The only thing I found amusing in the ad copy was this line:

"Tired of hauling all of your D&D rules supplements to the gaming table?"

From what I have read about the Rules Compendium it really won't do anything to reduce the number of supplements that you use at the game table.

Olaf the Stout

Agreed. In my party, I am a supplement mule, bringing Complete Arcane (the DM likes warlock bad guys), Warrior (popular feats and prestige classes in there), Adventurer (again, feats and prestige classes), Divine (a few feats), PHB II (popular base classes, feats), and for one campaign, Expanded Psionics Handbook (classes, feats)...

Heck, I don't need a rules compendium, I need a Class and Feat compendium! :)

Would the Rules Compendium replace the Player's Handbook?
Not if they don't include an equipment list, or class/feat details.

Is it just updates from FAQ and errata? Why not just put those into the next printing of the DMG and PHB?

Is it "new uses for old skills" and "this is how polymorph works" and "immediate and swift actions"? I don't see much else that would fit here.

I am not seeing how the Rules Compendium is much better than that superlative DM screen from Kenzerco., or the Battlebox (I forget the company).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads