• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium!

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
JoeGKushner said:
The only problem with that is the 1 page per rule.

I think we'll need to see a few pages to see how this works. They could use the space for lots of examples (always useful) or filler art.

And, obviously, I echo the hope that it will be OGC like Unearthed Arcana was. (And magical locations are in there, which they won't be.)

JoeGKushner

First Post
We know they'll be art.

We know they'll be designer's side bars.

If they follow current trends, it'll open with a page or two of bad fiction.

It'll have say, three pages of ads.

It'll have a front credits page, and a second full credits page. So we're talking 155 pages of potential text. Minus any 'filler fiction', 154-53.

If it includes things like attacks of opportunity and area effect discussions, it'll use templates and visual guides.

Mercule

Adventurer
Maggan said:
For me, the designer notes is the main draw of this book.

I'm very much in favor of some designer notes. Just not on "core three" rules. I'd love to hear why they added some of the extra rules from the Complete series, or why they changed/updated a rule for the RC, that sort of thing. I really don't care about what they think on square facing vs. rectangular facing or why the ranger is associated with TWF, etc.

Heck, I don't even want a page devoted to grapple. That's PHB material.

Basically, if the RC is focused on core, it'll be a disappointment to me. If it consolidates expanded rules, ala SC and MIC, then I'm all over it. At this point in time, I'm all about consolidating my referrences. For referrence, I'm not actually too happy about the new content in MIC (don't hate it, because it sounds like there's enough consolidation, but it isn't the reason I'm buying the book).

Jer

Legend
Supporter
JoeGKushner said:
The only problem with that is the 1 page per rule.

Doh - you're right - I did forget the one-page-per-rule thing. Well, there goes that idea.

I really hope it isn't a book of in-depth discussions of attacks of opportunity and grapple rules. The main reason I think of buying Compendia books at all is to cut down on supplements that need to be carted around and referenced (the Spell Compendium is useful in that respect - I suspect that the Magic Item Compendium will be as well). I don't really need something that re-iterates the Player's Handbook without the Class/Feat/Skill/Spell information and one page per rule.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads