• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium!

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
This could be a really good purchase for me. There's a lot of stuff I haven't picked up; having a lot of it all in one place could be pretty convenient. I'll have to take a look at the book first, but I'm looking forward to this one.

MarkB

Legend
JoeGKushner said:
Ditto.

I can see it now.

Ability Scores

Grappling

Hit Points (Or maybe death and dying will get their own entries.)

Turning

Perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be something useful to those who already know how to play the game but if two dummies books can't get people to understand, another hardcover of designer's notes ain't gonna do it either. Give me a Feat and PrC compendium and leave the explanations of the clunky system in the CORE rulebook in an easy format so that new people can get playing.
I'm hoping it'll be compiled and clarified rules for things that are currently spread across multiple books - for instance, rules for combat with big and small creatures, which are currently spread across both the PHB and DMG.

Also, there are a lot of expanded rules for skill uses, and I'd love to see all those consolidated.

For things like grappling, maybe we'll finally have consistent, official rules for how monsters' natural attacks and high BAB interact with grappling.

I must admit that my first thought upon seeing the link was that it was an early April Fool's Day joke, but it could have its merits.

Maine-iac!

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
This could be a really good purchase for me. There's a lot of stuff I haven't picked up; having a lot of it all in one place could be pretty convenient. I'll have to take a look at the book first, but I'm looking forward to this one.

this is a selling point for me as well, even if it just rehashes everything. then maybe i can ebay the books that i only use 5 pages for. :eek:

szilard

First Post
What would be beautiful?

A book that had different chapters:

Class Features
- an alphabetical list of class features with mechanics for each, independent of any specific class.

Status Effects
- something like what is in the back of the PHB, but limited to status effects and expanded.

Combat Actions
- as above

and things like that.

Oh.... and a comprehensive list of skills with compiled "alternate uses for skills" from all the Complete books and such.

-Stuart

brehobit

Explorer
Allow me to be the first (I think) to predict that there will be a fair bit of errata issued via the rules compendium. Including "core" errata not otherwise published on-line.

Call me a pessimist.
Mark

szilard

First Post
szilard said:
What would be beautiful?

A book that had different chapters:

Class Features
- an alphabetical list of class features with mechanics for each, independent of any specific class.

Status Effects
- something like what is in the back of the PHB, but limited to status effects and expanded.

Combat Actions
- as above

and things like that.

Oh.... and a comprehensive list of skills with compiled "alternate uses for skills" from all the Complete books and such.

-Stuart

Oh.... and make it Open Game Content while they are at it....

(I can dream.)

-Stuart

Treebore

First Post
CaptainChaos said:
Hey, they might do it...and then announce 4E three months later. :)

No, not yet. They have to do the class and Feat compendiums first.

This may be worth getting, if it has a lot of rules from books I haven't bought, such as the Environmental books and a few others.

If its all core and Complete books rules then I won't be buying. Since I already have those and don't feel the convenince of such a book will be worth the $20 or so it will cost (at Amazon, Buy.com, BaM, etc...).

I'll keep listening to opinions, though. I'm almost convinced to buy Dungeonscape.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
The more i think about this book the more I wonder if it is going to be needed.

I mean, after all, what are they putting in it? If they are clarifying the ruels inteh PHB and giving examples, I definitely do not need it. If they are putting in totally new rule sets like psionics (I gotthose down) or Incrnum, Bo9S etc(Don't need) where exaclty are all these ruels coming from. Sure there are lots of incidental ruels in the completes, like skills and a few new feat types, but :):):) is not like those are really needed on a day by day basis.

Or will it be optional rules like Unearthed ARcana but more of them?

Alternate class types?

What is in here anyway?

What I really don't want it to be (for my use) is a primer or guide for new players to the rules. Good for the game, and new players, yes, but I don't really need it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads