Rules for attacking objects/disarming?

Venthrac

First Post
I'm actually here because I don't care for the Star Wars SAGA edition rules for attacking a held weapon in an attempt to disarm an enemy. I figured I'd look to 4E for an alternative, but after combing through the core rulebooks, I cannot find any rules in 4E for attacking objects or trying to disarm an enemy.

Where are these rules hiding? Surely they exist and I'm just missing them, but I've searched the PHB and DMG without luck.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
Objects have DCs and hit points which can be foung in the DMs screen. I can't tell you about disarming, though, but it is similar to saga as they're almost the same combat wise.

Droogie128

First Post
There is a level 17 fighter power that disarms the target, but there are no actual mechanics for doing so outside of using a power. It's basically way too overpowered of an ability to continuously use, but the DM could use page 42 if needs be.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It is not something a 4e character can do, generally speaking. Part of the reason for this is that "what a character holds in their hands" is kind of weirdly important to 4e. ;)

For a simpler alternative, you might want to consult Pathfinder, actually. Their rules for combat stunts are pretty clean and intuitive, and the potential swinginess of "oh mage looses his wand, now he sucks" is relatively fine in a system that doesn't bugger about with knife-edged combat balance.

D&D's combat stunt system isn't very useful if you're not looking to DEAL BUCKETS OF DAMAGE, though. ;)

The Human Target

Adventurer
Disarming doesn't really exist, because its too powerful. Its like a Save or Die spell, which were removed from the game. Taking many monster's weapons away is essentially like killing them, but without the fun of actually having done so.

Attacking objects rules exist, but its not really intended to be used against objects being held by other creatures (like say swords or wands or whatever)

For the same reason.

Squire James

First Post
There are no particular rules for disarming in D&D except in very limited cases. Except in those very limited cases, I would classify "disarm" as pretty much the same thing as "defeat". If you reduce a foe to 0 HP, you can say you disarmed the foe and are pointing your weapon at some vital organ. You can make your threats, say your "I want my father back, you son of a...", probe for information, and finally knock him out or kill him (or let him go, which I suppose is like granting the foe 1 HP to run away with).

In short, saying "I try to disarm him" isn't too different from saying "I try to cut his head off". Both are intentions that aren't really fulfilled until the combat is resolved.

Mad Hamish

First Post
Disarming doesn't really exist, because its too powerful. Its like a Save or Die spell, which were removed from the game. Taking many monster's weapons away is essentially like killing them, but without the fun of actually having done so.

Attacking objects rules exist, but its not really intended to be used against objects being held by other creatures (like say swords or wands or whatever)

For the same reason.

The bigger issue is that disarming player characters makes things extremely unfun.

Remove ads