D&D 5E Rules Q: Sorcerer multiclass

Hey folks,

just to make sure I get this right:
If my lvl 7 cleric multiclasses to sorc and adds 2 levels, which gives him Font of Magic and sorc points: Can I points to trade for cleric slots as well? Like, "sell" sorc slots to gain cleric slots or vice versa?

Hmm... fair. I'd like to see the RAW cleared up before digging into GM rulings (unless this is clearly a rulings => rules thing)

So:

Flexible Casting PHB​

You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points. You learn other ways to use your sorcery points as you reach higher levels.
It might be an oversight, but it doesn't say "additional sorc slots"...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
just to make sure I get this right:
If my lvl 7 cleric multiclasses to sorc and adds 2 levels, which gives him Font of Magic and sorc points: Can I points to trade for cleric slots as well? Like, "sell" sorc slots to gain cleric slots or vice versa?
When multiclassing between classes with the Spellcasting feature (as opposed to the Pact Magic feature of Warlocks), you add your levels together to determine your slots known. So there is no "cleric slots' and "sorcerer slot", there are just your character's slots.

A Cleric 7/Sorcerer 2 has the spell slots of a 9th level caster, with spells known/prepared (including max spell level) of a cleric 7 (4th level spells known) and a sorcerer 2 (1st level spells known).

Dausuul

Legend
the only class you track sepreate is warlock pact magic... everything else is 1 pool of slots
Exactly. There aren't "cleric spell slots" and "sorcerer spell slots"--there are just spell slots, which can be used for any spell you know or any class feature that calls for them. Likewise, any ability that replenishes spell slots will work on all of them.

Warlocks are a weird special case, where you track the slots separately but you can still use them with other class features. (This is the basis for various warlock multiclass shenanigans.) But aside from warlocks, all spell slots feed into one pool.

Exactly. There aren't "cleric spell slots" and "sorcerer spell slots"--there are just spell slots, which can be used for any spell you know or any class feature that calls for them. Likewise, any ability that replenishes spell slots will work on all of them.

Warlocks are a weird special case, where you track the slots separately but you can still use them with other class features. (This is the basis for various warlock multiclass shenanigans.) But aside from warlocks, all spell slots feed into one pool.
as someone that loved the Mystic THeurge concept I like the casting stacking. I also can appretiate the warlock levels not stacking. HOWEVER:

I wish there were class/subclasses that used and stacked with pact magic too. We hombrewed a 'hex thief' and a 'fey druid' that did.

Remove ads