• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Question: Non-Good Half Celestial

Xath

Moder-gator
One of the NPCs in our campaign is a non-good fairly high level half-celestial. The party is about to enter into a combat with him (not everyone in the party has a G in their alignment either) so I'm wondering:

Can he even use his Holy Word spell like ability? If so, does he deafen himself?

ThaDium

First Post
Because he's half-celestial, I'd be inclined to say he can't use it. But if he does, definitely have him deafen himself. But let him be aware of that fact and act accordingly, using it as a last resort and such.

delericho

Legend
Can he even use his Holy Word spell like ability?

Depends. By non-Good do you mean Neutral or Evil? If he's Neutral then he can use it. If he's Evil, he cannot.

Note: that's my ruling, not RAW. Basically, I'm applying the same restriction as for a Cleric trying to use a spell with the Good descriptor. Per RAW, I think even an Evil half-celestial should be able to use the ability.

If so, does he deafen himself?

Yes.

Empirate

First Post
He will deafen himself, but there's nothing in the rules preventing even an evil caster from using Holy Word. Or a good Cleric from Creating Undead etc.

Empirate

First Post
In 3e, at least, this is incorrect. A good-aligned Cleric cannot cast spells with the Evil descriptor. And both create undead and animate dead have said descriptor.

Oh, that's true! I somehow always read over "his own" in the rules text: "A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one)." I apologize!

Nezkrul

First Post
d20SRD said:
under Half Celestial:
Alignment

Always good (any).
Can't be non-good and be a half-celestial. Can't. If the DM wants him to have the stat adjustments and abilities of a Half-Celestial he either needs to make him good or create his own template (and therefore give it different spell-likes). RAW can't have the template without ALL of the template.

delericho

Legend
Can't be non-good and be a half-celestial. Can't. If the DM wants him to have the stat adjustments and abilities of a Half-Celestial he either needs to make him good or create his own template (and therefore give it different spell-likes). RAW can't have the template without ALL of the template.

Actually, that's incorrect. The SRD doesn't say it, but the MM does: an entry of "always" for alignment doesn't actually mean always - there remains the possibility allowed for individual creatures to have a different alignment.

(Plus, of course, Eberron takes a much more flexible view of alignment. And, indeed, an individual DM is always entitled to do what she likes. :) )

Dandu

First Post
Actually, that's incorrect. The SRD doesn't say it, but the MM does: an entry of "always" for alignment doesn't actually mean always - there remains the possibility allowed for individual creatures to have a different alignment.
Basically, it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Remove ads