Rules workshop: Fire!! Fire! Fire!!!!

Michael Morris

First Post
Throwing a fire spell into a room full of kindling has the potential to start small blazes, but the core game does expand on this much. This is a rule needing testing to formalize the consequences of pyromania.

When a fire spell with an area of effect is cast there is a chance of starting unattended blazes. One such blaze will start for every fire damage die that comes up on max damage (meaning spells with mixed damage types need the dice differentiated. However, doing it this way does prevent the need of an additional role). The fires appear in unoccupied spaces, if minis are used each one occupies a 5' space.

On initiative count 20 (losing ties) roll a d20. On 1-10, 1d6 of the fires dies out. On 11-15 no change, though 1d6 fires may move 1 square (DMs option). On 16-19 a new fire appears adjoining an existing on, on 20 two new fires appear.

Fires have disadvantage in wet conditions or when fuel isn't abundant. They have advantage in dry conditions or with abundant fuel (late fall in many deciduous forest areas). When fires are on advantage and both dice come up 16-19 two new fires start, three are started if both are higher than 16 and one is a 20 and if both come up 20 four new fires start.

Fires deal 1d6 fire damage to any starting their turn in their area. They move one square at a time.

Thoughts?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I couldn't see using this for every casting, but could find times when it would be useful. I wouldn't want to bog down so many combats. Also, I wouldn't have the fire act on init 20. I would probably tone that back to 15 as it allows more heroic action of "beating the fire" to space, etc. That's a traditional narrative concept that I would want in my game.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If you like it, roll with it. I wouldn't use it - too complicated. Also, given the duration of the fire spells I've seen, the only things that would actually catch on fire are paper (or old parchment) and furs. So, maybe casting a fire spell causes the loose piles of paper in the room, and the fur rug, to rise up and become fire monsters?

For fun - try lighting a cigarette without drawing oxygen through it. And once it's lit does it burn, or smolder?

Michael Morris

First Post
Are you seriously comparing the heat of a cigarette to a fireball spell, which would be roughly analogous to a hand grenade (although a grenade deals most of its damage from concussion, not heat)?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Technically, I'm drawing more of a comparison to the matchstick. I've never been hit by a hand grenade, but I've seen one go off. It's way too brief to be hot. More painful, less hot. A fireball is a little different, but feel free to pull up some 911 videos on Youtube to see what a heavily-loaded jetliner can do with a fireball spell. Those fireballs lasted a few seconds...much shorter than a matchstick burn...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases