(Rumor) Disney Stars Wars Could Be Removed from Canon (or simply ignored)

Mercurius

Legend
Read all about it here.

Its a rumor, so don't get your panties in a wad, Disney Star Wars fans.

The interesting -- and more possible/likely -- part is this:

"However, he does indicate there might have been a decision made to render the sequel trilogy moot. He details, “What I also hear that while officially and formally all out striking the Sequel Trilogy from canon may be a long shot, the decision to effectively render it moot may already have been decided higher up in the food chain.”

He elaborates, “Allegedly, the higher-ups have examined the numbers and reportedly don’t feel the sequel trilogy provided the necessary foundation to build anything more upon. Because of that we are unlikely to be seeing any stories taking place in the aftermath of Rise of Skywalker anytime soon.”

“What I’m hearing is that instead it has been pretty much decided that it is the time frame between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens that will be the focal point of the storytelling going forward,” he adds.

Andre then explains, “Within this time frame, there will be an interconnected universe of live-action and animated TV shows and possibly movies, although those are more likely to take place in other eras, but still prior to the time frame of The Force Awakens.”

As for the Sequel Trilogy being moot, Andre states, “So what of the Sequel Trilogy? Well, my understanding is that it might as well have had leprosy, as they won’t go near it.

“It may not be formally and officially removed from canon just yet, but it might as well have been because while it retains its place in canon for now, it will reportedly be treated as if it never existed. And from the chronological perspective of where they are going it still lies in the future,” Andre elaborates.

I have no problem with this (though the Veil stuff sounds a bit silly). I'm, at best, lukewarm on the Disney films. They were relatively fun, but felt like somewhat soul-less fan-fic to me and got progressively worse, imo. By the end of Rise, I was left with the feeling that one of the most iconic stories of my childhood had been tarnished. Woe is me.

But it makes sense to build up the time between RotJ and TFA, ala the Mandalorian, and kind of ignore the Disney films, letting them recede into the rear-view, perhaps off-handedly declaring them as "one possible future."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm okay with that but only if we also make the Prequels non-cannon. We can replace them by putting some of the earlier comics and novels back into canon. Oh and Mandelorian is totally allowed in too. Now I am happy. I don't know what any of that has to do with reality, but the thought is nice.

Immeril

Explorer
“And if The Terminator franchise taught us anything it is that the future is not set.”: using a Terminator reference to satisfy unhappy fans is nothing more than pandering. Time travel has always been an integral part of Terminator, not so much in Star Wars.
In creating the Legends imprint, Disney wanted to rewrite the continuity while still being able to profit from earlier works. If they had done some minimum of market research, they could have expected backlash from existing fans for disregarding characters such as Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn.
I'm okay with that but only if we also make the Prequels non-cannon. We can replace them by putting some of the earlier comics and novels back into canon. Oh and Mandelorian is totally allowed in too. Now I am happy. I don't know what any of that has to do with reality, but the thought is nice.
AFAIK the prequel trilogy didn't create (major) continuity issues with comics like Tales of the Jedi, or are you (using the word 'earlier') referring to the Marvel comics and the Archie Goodwin newspaper strips?
However, the sequel trilogy disregards Young Jedi Knights, The New Jedi Order, Legacy I and II, ...
It isn't limited to the sequels. Rogue One (even though it was a better movie than any of the sequels) disregards Dark Forces.

Eilathen

Explorer
Yeah, I don't think that will happen. I mean I'd love for it to happen (I really hate the final Skywalker trilogy, it's pure and utter garbage, storywise), but that more or less would be the equivalent to Disney admitting they produced naughty word material and i can't see that happening.

Although, after they did that with a lot of EU stuff (that is/was a 1000 times better than almost everything Disney did since they bought the franchise), maybe they give Eps7-9 to another "parallel universe" to make it "un-canon"? Why not :p;)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I mean, sure, this makes perfect sense ....

assuming that Disney already hadn't spent all that money building attractions at theme parks based on the movies, and selling merchandise, and that these movies made billions, and everything else.

But sure.

Plageman

Explorer
Well, what they can do is phase out the importance of the events of the new trilogy and re-focus themselves on other events in the SW universe. That shouldn't be a problem for them since none of the "new generation" is interested in returning for an encore.

They can just make a nice time jump and forget turn it history's notebook footnote.

Eilathen

Explorer
Well, what they can do is phase out the importance of the events of the new trilogy and re-focus themselves on other events in the SW universe. That shouldn't be a problem for them since none of the "new generation" is interested in returning for an encore.

They can just make a nice time jump and forget turn it history's notebook footnote.

Which is kind of a shame, imo. The Skywalker Saga could have been such a great Saga. Maybe they should have the guts to just say something like "You know what, Eps 1-3 and Eps 7-9 we can do better (or: is just one of the stories they tell of that time) and we will..." . And then, with what is possible in todays TV, do a several season TV-series deep dive into the material that was so unlovingly handled in Eps 1-3 and Eps 7-9. Do an "Ultimate Skywalker Saga" with more focus on the fall of Anakin and the conclusion of the Saga after Luke with more fresh ideas and more love for the old characters and storyarcs.

But maybe that's just me...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases