Rumour Spectalulooza! D&D NEXT: 5E & the OGL?; Old Settings Coming Back?; plus PATHFINDER Background

Dungeons & Dragons News xIt's a very rumoury-speculative D&D section in today's news! Take them as you will, but the following items are RUMOUR only. 5th Edition to be OGL? Possibly! Or at least something similar. In this thread, discussion about how Dias Ex Machina was able to include a D&D Next option in its latest Kickstarter for its Amethyst setting, given that no license to do so has...

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons News[/h]
[dnd]x[/dnd]It's a very rumoury-speculative D&D section in today's news! Take them as you will, but the following items are RUMOUR only.

• 5th Edition to be OGL? Possibly! Or at least something similar. In this thread, discussion about how Dias Ex Machina was able to include a D&D Next option in its latest Kickstarter for its Amethyst setting, given that no license to do so has been announced and no final ruleset is available. Chris from DEM posted the following publicly: "I've mentioned it on the Kickstarter that we have it on authority that there will be at least an SRD and probably an OGL for D&D Next (5E). You would have to have a major regime change at WOTC to cast doubt on that. WOTC is committed in rebuilding their 3PP base after 4E. DEM was the first to sign (so goes the rumor) to the GSL, and we’re even more confident now." Now, obviously the immediate thing that springs to mind when you read that is "Cite?", as it would be a HUGE scoop if it were true. So I did ask him about his source, and, while I promised not to share that source or the email he showed me, it looks legit to me. That said, he goes on to mention the conversation referenced was quite old now, and that things can always change. Still, the official position of WotC is pretty much "Nothing to announce yet; we'll let you know if there is." It is worth noting that Mike Mearls used the OGL a LOT when he was working for third-party publishers on d20 products (such as Monte Cook's Malhavoc Press) before WotC hired him, so it's reasonable to assume he's predisposed towards liking it. [hi][threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?347232-Hypothetical-question-for-3pp-5e-goes-OGL-what-would-you-publish[/threadcm][/hi]
  • Eberron and Dragonlance Returning? This thread on Horror RPGs includes AICN's tabletop columnist Abstruse. It's oldish news (been reported on before) but worth a bit of reiteration since it came up. Abstruse summarizes it well: "Basically, WotC is courting a lot of the original founders of various campaign settings. I confirmed that they've been in talks with Keith Baker for Ebberon and that talks have started to mend the burnt bridges with Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman for Dragonlance (Weis has expressed particular interest in returning to Dragonlance)." In terms of his sources, he says "Yeah, I was the source on both of those. I bugged Robert J. Schwalb, Miranda Horner, and Bruce Cordell (when he was still with WotC) until they gave a half-assed admission, then hijacked an IRC Q&A with Margaret Weis and pestered Keith Baker on Twitter." I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it yet (though I will!), but he mentions that the latest episode of his podcast, You All Meet In A Tavern, contains discussion about that very topic.

[h=3]Pathfinder News[/h]
  • [pf]x[/pf]Erik Mona looks at the upcoming WRATH OF THE RIGHTOUS Pathfinder miniatures set (which has been moved from Deember to January).
  • Geek Native has a preview of BESTIARY 4. Including some gorgeous art - such as the Great Old One, Cthulhu! Plus images of the Gallodead, Lunar Drago, and Ruck.
  • Author Gabrielle Harbowy talks about writing for Pathfinder Tales.
  • My PATHFINDER BACKGROUND GENERATOR is now even better! It lists all available traits at the bottom (based on previously rolled background elements) and also has a "Surprise Me" feature which can roll up a completely random PC or NPC, randomly determining your race, class, sex, age, height, weight, etc. Here's a random one I generated just now:

The ideas below are simply suggestions designed to channel and focus your imagination. Feel free to discard anything contradictory or which doesn't appeal to you. Consider this just a starting point.

[h=3]Description[/h]
You are Bomrina, a female dwarf oracle. You are 55 years old, stand 50 inches (4' 2") tall and weigh 176 lbs (12 st. 8 lb.)

Traits: pipeweed smoking, polite.

Many dwarves come from industrious and tight-knit communities of like-minded individuals who work together to accomplish a common goal.

Oracles do not choose their path. Rather, the oracle's mystery chooses her in the midst of a climactic event that marks the oracle with an abiding curse.

[h=3]Homeland, Family, and Childhood[/h]
Homeland: Underground: You gain access to the Surface Stranger regional trait and the Tunnel Fighter race trait.
Parents: Both of your parents are dead. You gain access to the Orphaned social trait.
Parents' Profession: Merchants. You gain access to the Merchant social trait.
Siblings: 2 biological siblings. You gain access to the Kin Guardian combat trait.
-Your sister Thorina is younger than you.
-Your brother Dwafur is older than you.

Circumstance of Birth: Adopted Outside Your Race. You were not raised by your birth family and grew up in a family of a different race than your own. Raised by Savage Humanoids. You were raised by savage humanoids such as orcs, kobolds, gnolls, troglodytes, or lizardfolk. As a result, your values, customs, and traditions are those of your adoptive parents, though characteristics of your true nature frequently emerge. You gain access to the Savage social trait.

Major Childhood Event: Kidnapped. You were kidnapped at some point in your childhood. The kidnappers might have been pirates, slavers, thieves looking for ransom, a powerful guild seeking to blackmail your parents, a cult, and so on else. Before you were released, were ransomed, or escaped, you picked up on various aspects of the criminal underworld. You gain access to the Canter social trait and the Liberator story feat.

[h=3]Adolescence and Training[/h]

Oracle Background: Heavens. The night sky's mysteries have always enthralled you. But one night, while you gazed upon the stars, the perfect order of the universe revealed itself and you nearly went mad from the revelation. Since that night, you've possessed strange powers over the heavens. You gain access to the Starchild religion trait.

Influential Associate: The Relative. There is a relative you were especially close to. To you, this person was the meaning of family. He helped shepherd you into adulthood, teaching you everything you know about the world. You are bound to this person or his memory, and you strive to keep a promise, vow, or oath that you made to him. You gain access to the Oathbound faith trait.

[h=3]Moral Conflict, Relationships, and Vulnerabilities[/h]
Conflict: Minor Theft. You stole several small or inexpensive items that belonged tosomeone else.
Subject: Child or young person.
Motivation: Pleasure.
Resolution: Mixed Feelings. Sometimes you regret the conflict, but other times you feel as if you didn't have a choice in the matter or that you made the right decision. Most of the time, you just avoid thinking about the conflict. Only you and maybe a select few people know of your involvement.​

Romantic Relationships:
Current Lover. You are currently involved in a romantic relationship. You gain access to the True Love story feat.

Relationship with Fellow Adventurers:
Criminal connections.

Drawback:
Loyalty. You value loyalty over all things. You treasure the friends, associates, and lovers you have earned throughout the years, and when someone breaks your trust or betrays you in some way, you become utterly unhinged. You gain access to the Pride drawback.

Deity and Religious Philosophy: Desna. You gain access to the Starchild religious trait.

Final Alignment:
lawful (3) neutral (5)

[h=3]Traits[/h]

You may choose two of the following traits to which you have access: Surface Stranger, Tunnel Fighter, Orphaned, Merchant, Kin Guardian, Kin Guardian, Savage, Canter, Starchild, Oathbound, Starchild.

[h=3]13th Age News[/h]
  • [13]x[/13]13th Age designer Rob Heinsoo's blog has a bunch of 13TH AGE stuff in the most recent post. "On 13 True Ways, Jonathan and I are running our Daily Workplace Simulator experiment at my place. Playtesting of the commander went well and I'm processing feedback for the commander and the monk to get new versions of these two classes ready for external testing. Discussion of all the other new character classes has led Jonathan to dig into work on the occultist. He has surprised me with an entirely new type of spellcaster. I'm not using the words 'new type ' lightly, I don't think these mechanics have been tried before. I'm simultaneously excited to have Jonathan working directly on character class design and scared because I'm the GM in the group these days and this occultist is going to spring occasional reality-wrenching ambushes on whoever wears the GM-cap."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads