• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

run away then charge? one actioN?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Artoomis said:

No, what I am "stuck" on is that most folks think the rules actually state that all movement in the round of a charge must be in a straight line, when that's not what it says at all. I am trying to get folks to understand what is actually written in the rules.

I know what's written. I also know what's intended, and if you allow people to do the Ready Partial charge action after moving, it makes the limitation on straight line movement meaningless. Obviously, that's not what is intended.

Folks keep jumping ahead on this issue, and skipping over what is actually in the rules.

I'm pretty sure I'm aware of what's actually in the rules. I've moved beyond that stage (as you have not) and into the stage of "how are they intended to be applied in this instance". The whole combat movement thing really isn't covered in any great detail (at least, not for any speed greater than your normal move), and you have to actually look at the intent instead of blindly following the letter of the rules. Changing directions in the middle of a charge by using a Ready action is not what is intended, I'm 100% certain.

I am not disputing that you have a reasonable application of the rules, applying what could be the intent of the rules.

Personally, the way the rules are written, I think it is perfectly valid to think that they really meant you should be able to take any Partial Action, without restriction, after readying an action.

I have to disagree. If that was true, there would be no straight line restriction on Charge or Run actions. They would state that you can instananeously change directions (once) at any time during the Run or Charge action. Since they don't, I don't believe that they intended it to be possible with a Ready action either.

That would include being able to Partial Run or Partial Charge even though it might be in a different direction from your original move (as in move + ready an action).

That's against the obvious intent of the rules, given the stated movement restriction on those action. Allowing that completely bypasses the restriction.

If you focus on running instead of charging, it really seems like you should be able to Partial Run in any direction, doesn't it?

Actually, no it doesn't. Not if you have moved in that same action. It seems like you sould be able to Move and then Move again on the same action. You can Run on your next action.

As in, I move to the right and spot the BIG BAD GUY. I ready an action to RUN if he comes my way. He comes my way - so I get to run away (not the same direction) - as in Partial Run.

Seems reasonable, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't.

It would seem reasonable if you moved one way, spotted the bad guy, then readied an action "Move away if he comes this way", and then on your next actioni after that, accelerate into a Run.

Or, it would seem reasonable if you moved one way, spotted the bad guy, came to a complete stop, and then on your next turn did the "Ready a run if he moves my way".

Remember, moving your speed is not walking, it's hustling (basically a rapid walk or jog).

You shouldn't be able to hustle in one direction, then accelerate at a dead run in the opposite direction that easily. You need to come to a complete stop and then start running in the new direction. In the rules this can be represented by only changing directions every action when you are running or charging. If you aren't changing directions you can easily accelerate from a hustle to a full run. You can't do this easily if you are changing directions as well as changing your speed, at least not when you are going from a hustle to a flat out run.

Of course, Run and Charge work the same way as far a straight line movement goes, so what works for one works for the other, and vice versa.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Remove ads