• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a session of Basic D&D -- my game group's experience

For a one-shot, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Like many modules, B1 is a pretty small dungeon, but since you're running this is a one-time thing, not a campaign, I don't think having a high amount of treasure is a down-side.

I'd assume some attrition. (In fact, you might prime your players for this by suggesting that they roll up four or five potential PCs, rather than just one. They may or may not run those other guys, but just the fact that they rolled them up mentally prepares them for the possibility of PC deaths.) For a base gold piece value of treasure, I'd take the amount of XP the group needs to level up, and use about 80% of that in treasure on the first level (the balance of the XP coming from monsters). In a big dungeon, I'd double that amount for the first level to handle lost XP through attrition and the fact that the level isn't designed to be "cleared" (or likely to be cleared). In a smaller dungeon like B1, you might not need to double it, but you still might want to bump it up.

For monsters, half the rooms empty sounds about right for a classic approach. (See that link, above, for more details on how I approach this -- you might need to scroll down to find the part where I talk about it.) On the first level, I make monster encounters fairly forgiving (i.e. not big coordinated sections, but more bite-sized isolated groups). With a two-level setup like B1, you can put your more organized and dangerous encounters (lairs with a warning system and such) down there for a contrast in the danger levels.

Were I to do a oneshot BECMI game, I'd have each player start off with around 3,000 XP or so.
If you don't go with a "roll up a pool of multiple 1st level PCs per player," this is probably what I'd do, too. I still like the pool of PCs thing, though; I think it sets the right kind of tone and expectation for this kind of play. Who will survive? Can you handle it? Et cetera

Wik

First Post
I agree with the multiple PC thing, too, for the same reasons PJ states. Even if everyone makes 3 PCs (which doesn't take too much longer - I think it would take a group less than an hour), it does put everyone in the mindset. Plus, it gives everyone a broader selection of characters, making it easier to create a balanced party - important if you're doing the "roll 3d6 in order" method, which I would recommend.

But I still think giving a flat starting XP rate is a good idea for any game in which the goal isn't to "progress" - BECMI is not really designed for one-shots where everyone starts at 1st level, because the classes are not balanced by level. A first level thief is practically useless, but they do have the benefit of much faster levelling... after a session or two, I have frequently seen the thief have the same damage output as the fighter (they can wield any weapon the fighter can), with more hit points, essentially becoming an easier-to-hit fighter. Also, if you start at first level, you will see no clerics (what's the point? they have no spells), few fighters (dwarf is always better), and no wizards (if XP isn't a factor, elves are simply better).

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I have three Players participating, and they will each roll up and play two PCs. If someone has both their characters die, they can roll up another and we'll work it in.

As for making the PCs higher level, part of the true BD&D experience and style is PCs at 1st level.

My love of D&D started with BD&D at 1st level. Part of why I'm running this game is to somewhat relive that experience.

Bullgrit

S'mon

Legend
One of the great strengths of B1 is the mood and atmosphere of the richly described locales - something the Goodman DCCs are horribly lacking in, IME.

I think for a one-shot of B1, there's no need to increase gp treasures, but you could include more magic items to increase the excitement. One-shot disposables like potions and scrolls would work well, as well as +1 weapons. BX has no particular sale value for magic items and 50gp could well be a significant treasure.

XP shouldn't be a problem in a one-shot, but you could just multiply XP awards by x3 or x5 if you wanted. Moldvay suggests that 1st level PCs level after 3 sessions or so, you could bear that in mind.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I love B1. I've run it many times for many different groups. My favorite time was when I was running it for my dad. He found the pool of magic wine and then proclaimed that he'd won the game.

B1 is all about the cool rooms. I'd mainly concern myself, when placing monsters, with making sure the monsters fit the atmosphere of the room... Giant rats in the kitchen, gnomes in the forge, humanoids in the barracks, spiders in the web room, shriekers in the garden, and so on. I'd probably err on going light with the monsters with a first level party. There's so much to explore and play with in B1, if you stick to rolling for wandering monsters consistently, they'll have plenty of encounters.

I'd take a similar path in placing the treasure. Do what feels right for the room. (Also note, there are a couple placed - the wizard's room, the elf's room, etc. - where there's already treasure.) With a one shot, you shouldn't be too worried about too much/too little treasure. With a continuing campaign, I think the treasure in the module might be a tad light for a lager party of 5 to 6 characters.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
One of the things I've done to make for more treasure in Q without significantly altering the feel of the adventure is that I've made for some NPCs offering significant rewards for any information on the whereabouts of R & Z, with Z's notebook and notes and the elf's notes being enough information for the NPC to earn the reward for the pcs.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
B1 is all about the cool rooms.

Agreed. I spent some time planning B1 for my wife, but we never ended up playing (she wimped out). Anyway, I think all the cool rooms are great because they encourage players to think of themselves as explorers (in search of the unknown), not merely combatants (flexing their fighting skills). Bullgrit, you might consider having your players read the old school gaming primer as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads