D&D 4E Running Commentary on Rel's 4e Campaign (Complete 8/2/10)

vagabundo

Adventurer
Thanks for all the extra detail, I'm still trying to get my head around the concept and it is useful for me to see in-game examples. The articles are great and all, but seeing them in action is what I need.

<Interesting Stuff>

I would encourage you to look for ways to incorporate skill checks (if not skill challenges) into your combats because I think it breaks up some of the "business as usual" tactics. I've had two fights now where some sort of skill roll or attribute check was necessary in the course of the fight and it made those fights much more interesting.

The next two sessions will be my KotS climax. I'm thinking now that I'll make the optional Dungeon skill challenge - reversing the ritual - compulsory. I'm also going to flesh it out a lot more, make sure there is something for every skill.

I feel the more I am prepared the better the challenge will run, until I get more of a handle on them. I'd like an epic feel to the encounter.

I think the key here - for me - is to prepare the challenge like I would prep a combat encounter or v.complex storyline. I did run one or two ad-hoc ones and they kinda flopped.

Talltree

First Post
That's when the pair of Adult Kruthiks burst out of some stone rubble around the edges of the room. Those things were nasty. They dished out some major damage with those quills they fire and their claws are nothing to sneeze at either. The Paladin went down and then so did the Warlock but the Cleric got them back up into the fight, whereupon the Paladin went down again.

Mialain the cleric ALSO went down i this fight on a nasty 19 point hit from the spine of one of the bugs. Luckily the paladin was actually conscious at this point and was able to lay hands on me :blush:

Very nasty bugs!

Loved how the scene in the mine elevator unfolded - very cool.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Mialain the cleric ALSO went down i this fight on a nasty 19 point hit from the spine of one of the bugs. Luckily the paladin was actually conscious at this point and was able to lay hands on me :blush:

Very nasty bugs!

The studious observer might note that Rel did a lot of chores today, had dinner ready when Talltree got home and met her with a kiss and a cold beer.

Coincidence?

Probably.

Talltree

First Post
Our group really isn't into respecting those kinds of guys. We'd probably call him Goatse or something.

Evidently, the guardian is FEMALE according to my daughter. We caught hell for referring to it as a him.

Also, on an unrelated note: Rel didn't mention that we decided to "downsize" or "reconfigure" the pack lizard, and take him with us! :eek:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Evidently, the guardian is FEMALE according to my daughter. We caught hell for referring to it as a him.

Ah yes. My darling daughter was getting irritated whenever we accidentally called the Divine Guardian a "him". Finally she ended up making a sign that said "GIRL->" and sat it on the table next to the figure we used for the Guardian. We later repurposed this sign for indicating Zanne the Warlock whose player is male and thus is sometimes a bit rough on the pronouns. However I never slip up there from an in-character standpoint. That's because Zanne's figure has boobs.

Also, on an unrelated note: Rel didn't mention that we decided to "downsize" or "reconfigure" the pack lizard, and take him with us! :eek:

Yeah. That went kinda like this:

Rel: "There's a problem with you guys continuing on into the Mines: The narrow tunnel you crawled through isn't big enough to fit the pack-lizard through."

Eshik: "Not in its current configuration..."

At least they ate well after their next Extended Rest...

Riggs

First Post
For the record, I was never more than 7 HPs down in any of the combats (of course I AM the cleric, but I used very little healing on myself - only 1 healing surge as I remember) :angel:. Rel made it seem like we were very bad off at the end of the falling in the river episode.
Speak for yourself! ;)

Very nasty bugs!

One of my brief appearances awake that night. I rolled a 1 three times on hits or power rolls, and only rolled well on stuff like initiative, and still went last. It was an Eeyore night for sure. Daily power fail, power stunt fail, any powers that require a hit to work, like extra damage stuff--fail. I think I was rolling a D3 all night.

Nothing like seeing your first sworn enemies and bravely charging in and missing everything and getting punked out...then up again and back into the fray with a steely resolve not to let down his deity and cause and ....I roll 1, 3, Rel keeps rolling 18, 19.... punked out.

I think at one point someone was saying that my job was to take the hits and I was at least doing that (with all my bad to-hit rolls) and I said, "If my job is getting punched in the face then I am Employee of the Effing Month!"

At least at the end, while I was venting by throwing all the mist demons over the side and down the hole, Rel let the pile of mangled bodies be a deterrent to curious other mist demons.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Last night was session 4 of the campaign. We got off to a rocky start thanks to the triple threat of needing to print a couple character sheets, celebrating Riggs birthday and my daughter being extra demanding of attention. Oh and stobil (Zanne the Warlock's player) insisted that we have a fire in the ireplace downstairs where we game and...well let's just say it's been a few years since he's been in survival school in the Air Force. As a result we got rolling at least an hour later than usual. But hey, time spent with friends is never wasted.

Anyway, the PC's had rested in the "dragon shrine" of the Mist Demons and the only way out was a small door just barely big enough to pass the Dragonborn members of the party. They proceeded through it and up a cramped passageway on the other side that Eshik indicated had been dug by some kind of burrowing creature. It emptied into a room that was empty but for a few scattered bones that Astavian determined to be Mist Demon bones (of the variety they'd fought in the mines) and some traces of a weird, purplish dust on the floor. There were two exits from this room.

They explored one of them and it led to another room with a much bigger pile of bones in the corner that had the indented look of something sleeping on it but whatever that might have been was nowhere to be seen. The only other feature of the room was a magically locked door that defied their attempts to open it.

The tried the other direction and it quickly terminated in a scene of gore and destruction. There was a pile of rubble that looked recent to Eshik (Eshik used to be a stonecutter so he knows these things). Amid the rubble were the badly mangled remains of what appeared to be three diggers or miners. The bodies were decomposed to the point that Mialain guessed them to have been dead at least a week. However the good news was that 60 or so feet above them up a shaft some 10 feet wide they could see starlight.

Eshik (the most perceptive member of the group) spotted a side passage only 15 feet up and climbed up to that point and lowered a rope for the rest of the party. The passageway curved and ascended and they followed it. Just around the bend was a door in the side of the passage that they found was a cell holding a pathetic lot of prisoners. Astavian called them forth and one approached cautiously, speaking an unknown language before recoiling in utter terror at the Paladin.

Lord Harrix (still following along with the party and carrying his urn that is to be a gift from Emperor Vond to King Klo of Opkhar) indicated that the language was Opkharitic. He spoke with the prisoners who told him that "a dragon thing" had rampaged through the complex recently and sniffed at their door before moving on to presumably kill more of the inhabitants. The party broke through their cell door, gave them food and water (it had been approximately a week since they'd eaten). In so doing they made a grisly discovery that two of the prisoners had died and been partly eaten by the survivors. They also found a bag of that purplish dust hanging on the wall.

Continuing upwards the group found two other cells that had their doors smashed inwards and some evidence of bloodshed inside. Astavian found an ear that looked dark and leathery. The hallway finally terminated in what appeared to be the basement of a tower containing a ruined and smashed laboratory of sorts. A desk and table were destroyed and the scattered remains of some books lay mostly ruined in puddles around the room. They pieced together the contents of these and determined that there was a journal as well as a ritual book. But just as they were reading the barely legible remains of these, Eshik heard footsteps overhead and suddenly a group of five rather larger, more beastial Mist Demons leapt down into the room from above.

The fight was quick and brutal with the PC's unleashing many of their more powerful spells and abilities. But the Mist Demons gave as good as they got, lashing out with their claws and nearly dropping Eshik unconscious in the first round of battle. Both of the Dragonborn engulfed the enemy with their breath attacks and Astavian landed telling blows one after another (his luck had clearly returned in time for his birthday because he only missed one attack all night). Zanne unleashed a searing point blank Flames of Phlegethos which she stunted to include an extra foe. She took Opportunity Attacks, both of which landed but killed both Mist Demons in the process. The final one was quickly dispatched by Eshik and Astavian. Mialain spent most of the battle dishing out considerable quantites of healing thanks to her Beacon of Hope (she swapped out Divine Guardian for this) and Melora's Tide abilities.

Lord Harrix urged them to proceed upwards and "get out of this accursed hole!" and they climbed a ladder up to the main floor of the ruined tower. No sooner had they entered than another Mist Demon started at them through the main entrance to the tower. But, before he was upon them, a cloud of inky darkness seemed to engulf him from behind and a nearly deafening roar was heard coming from within. We called it a night there.

GM Comments:

I've been following along with some recent discussions here at ENWorld indicating that some feel that 4e's skill system isn't robust enough to support a "mystery investigation" type game. All I can say is that that's almost entirely what this session was and it seemed to work fine to me. The players were asking lots of insightful questions and in turn I had them make a great many skill rolls, which incrementally got them pieces of the puzzle. They seemed to have deduced a great deal by the end of the session.

I ran the investigation of the laboratory as a small Skill Challenge, which worked out nicely. As a result the players got a handout that I'd created which had a lot of snippets from the journal that filled in some blanks. Their successes (I think that only one failure was rolled during the whole Skill Challenge) also got them the contents of the Ritual Book, which is handy since Zanne also now has the Ritual Caster feat. The rituals were Magic Mouth, Arcane Lock, Magic Circle and Remove Affliction. Magic Mouth is the only one they can currently cast however due to their level.

In terms of house rules, Zanne's was the only Power Stunt this week but it was very effective. I was leery about allowing it to essentially double the effect of a Daily power but I required that she be adjacent to her foes to do it so I think the tradeoff was fair. And it was definitely a crowd pleaser.

The "Exploding d6 Skill Roll" thing seems to have been tremendously popular among the players. I'll let them speak for themselves but so far nobody appears to want to drop that.

They did hit a Milestone (which reminds me that I need to give everybody an extra Action Point at the start of next session) by virtue of finally making it back up out of the Mist for the first time in 4 days. Mialain's rituals to keep them supplied with Mist Milk to ward off its corrupting effects have been invaluable.

For next time we'll pick up right at our cliffhanger ending where they get to fight whatever the "dragon thing" is. Since everybody but Astavian spent their daily powers in the Mist Demon fight it should be...interesting.

Oh and speaking of the Mist Demon fight, I've been trying to keep track of how long combats last compared to their difficulty. This fight was of pretty "normal" difficulty. The Mist Demons were all Level 2 Skirmishers modeled after the Orcish Freak. The fight was over in about 5 or 6 rounds and took around 45 minutes.

Kinneus

Explorer
I really love threads like this. I mean, Story Hours are cool and all, but it's nice to hear players and DMs talk frankly and openly about the mechanics of the game, as well as the fluff. I find it a whole lot more useful for giving me ideas on my own games, for getting a handle how different things feel in play, etc.
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm really enjoying this thread. Bookmarked... right next to Sagiro's, heh.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I really love threads like this. I mean, Story Hours are cool and all, but it's nice to hear players and DMs talk frankly and openly about the mechanics of the game, as well as the fluff. I find it a whole lot more useful for giving me ideas on my own games, for getting a handle how different things feel in play, etc.
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm really enjoying this thread. Bookmarked... right next to Sagiro's, heh.

Thanks for dropping in. I tend to agree with you about the difference between what is useful and what is entertaining (although plenty of stuff is both). 4e is still fairly new and, prior to starting this campaign, my experience with it has been limited. I've benefitted from reading other similar threads and wanted to share whatever insights I could glean from seeing it in play.

Riggs

First Post
I'll say that I am completely fine with the exploding d6 method.

I was also very ok with spending too much time on my account, and the lucky rolls cooperating after that! Good fun with good friends.

For next time, Astavian will be very keen on destroying what he assumes is "Blackbreather" from the writings and may not hesitate much at all unless some good reasons pop up quickly. I'm not sure that the thing in the doorway is it or something else, but it has to go anyway. Be prepared in case I do something like stunt to charge down his throat and Radiant Delirium from inside!

I also have to consider my choice of daily at level 2. An immovable zone of +1 AC, a +4 to Diplomacy, or a way to intercept a hit on one adjacent ally. All bleh to me. I took the zone, but Mialain's encounter power doubles the bonus and is on us and not a static zone. None are really grabbing me.

Remove ads