Running Frog God’s Blight

sim-h

Explorer
It's all coming back to me now - the Festival fair section, where the 'Big Top' is 15 feet in diameter according to the map lol. There is supposed to be an act involving an Owlbear which according to those dimensions would take up the entire tent! The description reads:
"A very large black tent, within which is a central sawdust circle raised above the ground by some five feet, and reached by low steps"

Things like that really irritate me. It's just sloppy and that entire map needs redrawing to adjust the tent sizes but not so much the boats or buildings. I envy your relaxed attitude to such things!

At least you got a map. Their Spire of Iron & Crystal adventure is missing a mentioned player's map - in the original S&W version, in the later PF version and finally in the 5E version as well. Plus, the 5E conversion is atrocious!

Retreater

Legend
I'm so glad I read this. I've been looking into 3pp 5E stuff, and I had a suspicion that FFG's stuff would be rush-job conversions of old content. These reviews just solidify that reaction. Especially at their high price point, it's hard to justify these premium adventure modules. Which is a shame, because the Necromancer stuff was a highlight of my 3.x edition experience.

Chris633

Explorer
Yeah, I paid for the ideas and content more that the 5E crunch. I’ve run and played in A LOT of the official published content from Wizards and even with the wonky crunch this still beats it all hands down for me. I have both the City of Splendors and Eberron Sharn 3.5 books and this has more and better city content that those combined IMO. So the crunch being a little wonky doesn’t bother me. If I had a complaint, it would be that I wish they spent more money on more art and better quality maps. The issue you mentioned about the tent in the Circus Macabre is not really a problem for me. That location is primarily a role play location and so theatre of the mind will suffice. No need for redrawing. If I really need to, I can cross out the “1 square = 5ft” and those tents can be any size I need them to be. For me they are a just a quick location reference and scale is less important. The building is where any combat is likely to occur, so accuracy there is a little more important. The issue I had with the maps is that some were hard to understand until your read through all of the text and exercised some deep thought. And just regular locations, not even the between locations. So they could have gotten a better cartographer.

Wow, I had so meant for this thread to be different than what it has become. It’s more review than an enhancing the module thread. I was hoping for more ideas. But I guess not a lot of people are actually running it or at least they don’t frequent the forums.

So for those finding this and reading it as a review, I guess I will bottom line this with my opinion. This book is almost 900 densely packed pages and is a city guide (complete with locations, NPCs and plot hooks), bestiary and adventure path. The 5E conversion could be better and there are errors here and there. However, from an idea and content perspective, it is better than anything Wizards is publishing in my humble opinion. Their crunch may be better (and it should be since they wrote the system), but their content is half baked. Just look at the recently released Ravnica and compare it to Castorhage—I’d have to go out and buy other MTG books just to complete the Ravnica lore to run it. Casorhage is a complete setting. I recently ran the Tyranny of Dragons AP and I know already that running this is going to require less fixing. For me it’s easier to fix the stat blocks than the entire plot (which I did). I played in an Out of the Abyss campaign which left me feeling underwhelmed. So the Levee, in my opinion, is so far superior to these that it’s not even close when it comes to locations, oddities, political intrigue, NPCs, story, ect.. It’s NOT a perfect book. But there aren’t many that deliver on BOTH content and crunch. Cover price on ROT, Waterdeep and Sharn was about what I paid for the Blight. But I’d take the Blight over those any day for the content alone if the intention was to run an urban campaign. Whether or not this appeals to you, warts and all, will really depend on what you are looking for and what you value (e.g. system crunch vs ideas). For me ideas are everything. Crunch is nice but easily fixed if needed.

Retreater

Legend
I'm the opposite. I can do story on my own (and rarely follow the modules exactly). Because the CR system of 5e doesn't work for me, I'm more dependent on encounters that have been tried and tested.

Chris633

Explorer
I wish I could get away with that for my group. I’ve run encounters at them from other modules and with unmodified stat blocks and they eat it up. They are good at optimizing their characters and strategy. It was getting to a point where I had to throw what in the book is a deadly encounter several levels above theirs in order to challenge them. So now, any combats from a module that I want to challenge them with I have to rewrite and important NPCs get legendary abilities (which I’ve expanded from what’s in the monster manual). I can’t tell you how many times I’ve written a combat and I worry that it’s too hard and I may TPK them only to have them steamroll it. I threw out those encounter/CR tables a long time ago. I do it by feel now.

As far as story goes, I need a starting point. I can enhance the crap out of an existing idea and tailor it to my group. Also take their backstories and weave them in. But it all falls apart if I’m starting with a blank page. That’s why I love books filled with fluff. The more fluff the better. It’s somewhat the same with combats. I like having an idea of what the module wants and then tricking it out to fit the kind of challenge my players need. It’s why I have been so disappointed with the official published content. The fluff is anemic and the combats uninspired in many cases.

The Levee is the first AP that I think I may actually end up running close to what’s written (combats enhanced of course). I love what they did with it so much. But no AP survives contact with a group. So I'll likely end up having to change things depending on what they do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases