D&D 5E Running Rime of the Frost Maiden

Weiley31

Legend
I wonder if you can combine the Secrets from Frostmaiden and the Dark Secrets from Avernus together.

Like the Frostmaiden's take on the Secret is the "default" version of said secret. The Dark Secret portion is the actual "Plot Twist revealed/Plot updated" version of the original "default" secret when everything first started out.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I was just joking about the certainty that we will have to "enhance" it. That word carries some negative implications, is all.
It doesn't sound that way to me, personally. Very few things can't be improved in one way or another, even if they're already terrific. (Also, it was a carryover from some excellent threads on the old WotC boards for the Star Wars Saga Edition campaign "Dawn of Defiance.")

Having read a bit further, Easthaven has a couple of events that could serve to bring the PCs together: a séance and a public execution. It looks like the best bet for a starting town to me.

The Easthaven quest is one of the moderately-harder ones - 2nd level at least, I'd say - so I'm not sure you'd want to steer them there first. I was thinking Bryn Shander and then Easthaven?

Reynard

Legend
The human sacrifices to Auril are pretty skin-crawly. I'm not sure what I am going to do about that. I sense that no town that engages in it will be seen as sympathetic enough for my PCs to bother wanting to help.

The human sacrifices to Auril are pretty skin-crawly. I'm not sure what I am going to do about that. I sense that no town that engages in it will be seen as sympathetic enough for my PCs to bother wanting to help.

Maybe these aren't nice, innocent townsfolk. Maybe these are Stephen King townsfolk.

TheBoredGM

Beneath our modern banality, we're just savages.
Human sacrifice has occurred in every real-world culture, except perhaps Japan and Aboriginal Australia. Maybe you could turn Rime into a conspiracy-unraveling adventure.
EDIT: After watching Silence I concur on Japan. Aborigines probably sacrificed humans too. Humanity never changes.

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
Just a random thought, but whoever thought players were mature enough to have a BBEG called Auril (AW-Rill) and not have 'oral' jokes bog down the game has not met many players.

Remove ads