• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ryoko's Guide to the Yokai Realms 5E

dave2008

Legend
For those who are interested there is a preview of kaiju type monster from the book over at the Unearthed Arcana Redit: Bakuryo, the Heavenly Torrent

IMO, the design is OK, not great. It can do some interesting things and I like some of the kaiju traits, but it has problems elsewhere. It also doesn't have hit points, so I don't know what the means (chaos threshold points and finishing blow points instead)

1695257359635.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For those who are interested there is a preview of kaiju type monster from the book over at the Unearthed Arcana Redit: Bakuryo, the Heavenly Torrent

IMO, the design is OK, not great. It can do some interesting things and I like some of the kaiju traits, but it has problems elsewhere. It also doesn't have hit points, so I don't know what the means (chaos threshold points and finishing blow points instead)
There is a PDF of the kaiju fighting system linked in the Kickstarter, I think. Or one of DND Shorts' videos about the project.

It works like this.

The PCs have to deal the damage listed under the Chaos Threshold first. Then that activates one of its other forms. Each form has a set amount of hit points and a weak spot you have to hit. Once you've done all those it rampages. Then you have to deal the listed finishing blow damage in a single round to finish it off.

All told, the total hit points it has is about the same as a normal monster of the listed CR, but you have to do the weak spots after the Chaos Threshold or the attacks are wasted, basically. It's JRPG staged boss fights 101.

dave2008

Legend
There is a PDF of the kaiju fighting system linked in the Kickstarter, I think. Or one of DND Shorts' videos about the project.

It works like this.

The PCs have to deal the damage listed under the Chaos Threshold first. Then that activates one of its other forms. Each form has a set amount of hit points and a weak spot you have to hit. Once you've done all those it rampages. Then you have to deal the listed finishing blow damage in a single round to finish it off.

All told, the total hit points it has is about the same as a normal monster of the listed CR, but you have to do the weak spots after the Chaos Threshold or the attacks are wasted, basically. It's JRPG staged boss fights 101.
Basically correct. The adventure and kaiju rules are linked in the UA post I linked. I just didn't find them until after I made my post.

This seems pretty cool, but I'm a bit iffy about only introducing a single new class. This seems like it's trying to lean into wuxia a bit, and perhaps that's possible with only subclasses and a single new basic class? I'm not sure.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
In all seriousness: I doubt we will ever see a revised Oriental Adventures for 5E (the title alone would kill the project in committee). If Wizards of the Coast ever does decide to lean in that general direction, I hope they will borrow from the Kamigawa setting and lore from Magic: the Gathering...not from the old AD&D OA.

But they might already be thinking about it.

I mean, Theros got its own 5E D&D campaign setting, and so did Ravnica and Strixhaven. And several other M:tG card blocks got Unearthed Arcana "Plane Shift" releases that are still available for free download (I linked them for ya): Ixalan, Innistrad, Amonkhet, Kaladesh, and Zendikar. There are a lot of blocks we still haven't seen (Arabian Nights, Mirage, Invasion, Masques...) that would make excellent D&D campaign settings. And among them, I'd think that Kamigawa would be the most marketable. It's well-loved by M:tG fans, the artwork is iconic, and if recent Kickstarters are any indicator, there is plenty of interest.

Last edited:

While there might not be an official revised version of Oriental Adventures for 5e, I can imagine that quite of players will use the material in this Kickstarter to make their own versions of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads