• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

S3: The Scythe of Seto (Bront Judging)[Completed]

Manzanita

First Post
Yes. Let's go with your version. I was trying to get it done in one round & not really thinking it through. I went to bed, then got up again after realizing I'd screwed it up. But you posted before I could get it fixed. Anyway...

Razh has defeated the pawn, and remains at full strength. The black king advances a pawn...

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Oi, whities, use bludgeoning weapons on the skellies. These things go right through 'em." He shakes his axe and shield.

Gesturing towards the bishop, he says, "Shall Ah?"

SlagMortar

First Post
Beamer hesitates for a moment, wishing he could get Eusebius into position before Raz had to fight both the Bishop and King in succession. Unfortunately, it looks like the king is planning his escape and if he wants to end the game now, Raz will just have to succeed. Unless ... Beamer could advance the centaur. If I ask Raz, I know what he will say. Ah, let's give Raz his chance. "Aye, Rasereit. Point down the pointy hatted chump."

rln

Explorer
Ogrin joins the vikings for yet another choir of cheers as Razh downs the pawn.

"Oy, Razh! Before you knock yourself out, can you get a better look at the king, queen and bishop? Forewarned, etc, etc..."

OOC: Knowing more exactly what we face may aid us in deciding our tactics.

Manzanita

First Post
Razh can see the enemy more clearly now. The King is over 7 feet tall, and, unlike the bishop, has facial features. Like the bishops, though, his face has a sheen to it, as though it were made of metal or stone instead of flesh. The King's features, being black on black, are hard to make out. His features seems too small for one so large, but they look faintly familiar to Rasereit. He can't think why. As Beamer stares at the enemy King, he seems to know the King is staring back, and he knows that the King is the most powerful piece on the black side.

The queen seems more human. She is of medium height, and though her skin is black, she has whites in her eyes, and Razh can detect a wry smile on her face. Unlike the King and bishops, she moves as she awaits her turn, twirling the spikey chain casually.

Nice to know you're still around Bodynock. I suppose now is a good time to be a slow poster. You're not wedded to having Razh attack the bishop if you want to change.

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC:
I see a couple of alternate strategies to Raz attacking the bishop:
1. Move the centaur forward so it threatens the square where the black king just moved. Unfortunately, that blocks Eusebius from being able to ride to Raz rescue if he gets in trouble.
2. Move Eusebius up so he can buff Raz before attacking the bishop. This probably gives the king a chance to escape.
3. Have Raz kill the pawn left of him. That keeps the king somewhat pinned down, but doesn't really eliminate the need to kill both the bishop and the king.

Thoughts?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: If the black king is the most powerful piece, it seems to me that we should throw some weaker pieces at him first. Rasereit might be able to take him now, but maybe not.

To keep the king from escaping is not so important in this chess game, since cornering him is not really the goal. So letting him escape wouldn't be so bad. If we can get some of our more powerful pieces threatening some center squares, that would be better.

Razh taking the pawn is asking for him to engage the king, as is Razh taking the bishop. Eusebius buffing Razh before the fight is a good idea, but only right before that fight occurs (obviously). I think bringing the centaur forward is a good move: it best opens up the possibility of beating on the king.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOG: I'll be on vacation (sort of) for a week, starting tomorrow night. My posting rate will be significantly reduced, though I may pop in for a few posts. I should be back up to full speed by Friday of next week.

Patlin

Explorer
"In chess, the King cannot move into check. If this plays like chess, we don't actually have to fight the king. The game will end when the king cannot move out of check. That's why I suggested Beamer take the King's spot, the King doesn't ever actually fight in a real chess game."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Eh, so if we ne'er figh' the black king, then why bother t'make 'im so strong? Methinks ye're right, though, about the king not bein' able to move into check. But once we get 'im cornered, Ah'm thinkin' tall-dark-'n-gloomy won't go down wit'out a fight."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads