D&D 5E Sacred Cow Bites The Dust.

Igwilly

First Post
It was presented in the DMG2. And it wasn't XP for "good RP". It was XP for engaging the ingame situation via free roleplay, at the rate of one party-level creature worth of XP per 15 minutes.
Still an optional rule, though. No problem: all editions were like this ^^

S

Sunseeker

I haven't used it since the late 80s. It makes sense in a game where the goal of play is to accumlate treasure; but not otherwise.

Sure, and I provide opportunities for players to utilize their vast wealth. But having wealth doesn't mean very much in my settings if you're not using it to get somewhere.

As asn aside, this system made me wonder: would nobles and the nouveau riche me exceedingly high level?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
As asn aside, this system made me wonder: would nobles and the nouveau riche me exceedingly high level?

I think the XP for gold idea is a device created by the DM to motivate the players into a certain style of play, so being an NPC that inherited money does not mean a high level NPC. However, the NPC who is an adventurer that got rich by pillaging a bunch of ruins would be high level

Capn Charlie

Explorer

See, xp for gold isn't about having wealth, or being given wealth, or really even spending wealth. XP for gold is about taking wealth. Zero Sum, baby, for one to prosper another must perish. if you are a brutal merchant that destroys the fortunes of others, yeah, you've picked up some of that sweet, sweet xp to go along with it.

Unfortunately, as an npc, the rates of exchange aren't quite the same as for a pc.

Henry

Autoexreginated
After 23 years I killed a sacred cow.

I no longer use XP.

I just level the PCs up.

I've been playing that way for about 10 years now. In Pathfinder, where we use APs a lot, it's easy because of those little guidelines at te beginning of each book that say, "your party should be level 5 by the time they reach the Tomb of Foo" or "the party should be level 8 before entering the town of Bar." In my 5e games, i usually do it every three or four sessions. Every month to month and a half feels like an appropriate progression to make players not feel like they're spinning their wheels, and it means I can up the chllenge of the next tier of monsters I can throw at them.

Remove ads