Sacred Cows - thinning the herd

mrswing

Explorer
With all the interesting suggestions flying thick and fast on this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to get some idea about what sacred D&D cows should be kept (this is a 5E, after all, not an entirely new game), and which ones people generally feel should be abandoned. Of course there will be a lot of differing opinions, but maybe some consensus will be achieved here as well.
I'll start things rolling:

KEEPERS

Levels
Vancian Magic (but tweaked, probably)
Classes
Feats: but a pruned or changed list, and with a clear definition of what exactly constitutes a feat and what doesn't. A feat should be either a perk or a quality of the character (physical or mental ability), not a type of skill (armor & weapon proficiency) or combat manoeuvres (dodge, parry, cleave, power attack) which are either things anyone should be able to attempt, or which should be restricted to high-level practitioners of the martial classes, and which could be turned into class features, for instance.
HP in some form or shape
BAB
Critical hits (but with a more flavorful approach)

FOR THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE

Different types of actions: why does D&D (or any RPG) need more than one type of action? Why can you have a move + standard action in a round, or move + move, but not standard + standard? What about all the 'micro-actions' added by the Miniatures handbook? Pointless complication for complication's sake.

Extreme weakness of first-level characters

Critical threats (you roll a crit or you don't)

Fighters not getting any specific class features

Magic working every time (a Magical Attack or Skill Bonus to correspond with the BAB and balance things a bit between classes)

Different bonus types stacking or not stacking - leads to confusion and needless complication. Either take a page from Weapons of the Gods, and take the highest bonus as the relevant one, or limit the number of bonuses that can be in play simultaneously.

Template frenzy:

Grappling: just resolve it as a normal attack.

Skills and feats for monsters when there is no need for them.

That's it for starters...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Different types of actions: why does D&D (or any RPG) need more than one type of action? Why can you have a move + standard action in a round, or move + move, but not standard + standard? What about all the 'micro-actions' added by the Miniatures handbook? Pointless complication for complication's sake.

I think the other types of actions are so that characters TAKE other types of actions besides just their main.

Think of two melee fighters. If one has to use their entire action to close, and the other would then get to use an action to attack, both would eb waiting for the other to close.

Ranged attackers (archers, magic, etc) would become favorites since you could attack every action instead of "wasting" some on moving and such.

Hello mrswing,

Excellent idea on the sacred cows discussion!

As I mentioned, I've penned together a small amount of material that I'm slowly corraling into a form appropriate for discussion. However, I'll detail the cows I've currently saved and which ones I'm looking at to become McCows. This is all speculative and opinion and is in no way definitive (the whole idea of this board is to express options and opinions, not rule them out).

Sacred Cows
Levels - yes but with a but. I like the idea of breaking things down a little bit more than current. This is so when you level, you get more of what you want, rather than getting a couple of things that don't fit the character. I like the idea of several smaller "skill packages" attained at a level, rather than just a single ability or feat.

Classes - yes but also with a but. I think most classes can be imagined fitting within 3 core "destinies". Martial, Arcane and Divine (also allowing for a 4th in No Destiny, normally for NPCs). Imagine accumulating a certain number of skills sets (classified as: Destiny/Primary/Secondary) to create a character (combined with Racial/Background Skill Sets at 1st level). I think this might allow for a more natural progression of ability.

Feats: Or at least something approximating it (for example the skill sets above). I agree that feats should not stop a character from trying something where you can only do that action if you have the feat. Feats should assist you do something better, not having the feats existence stop you from attempting it at all.

Hit Points: Kept but split into the two entities they are trying to represent. Hit Points become the actual physical damage taken by a character. Combat Points represent the luck, skill, divine favor, ability to turn a serious blow into a lesser one and so on. Combat points are quickly recovered after a combat where as hit points need to be healed. See my thread on Making Hit Points work for further details.

Critical Hits: I'd keep these. If you have a look at my discussion on hit points and combat points, a normal hit takes points off of one's combat point total until this is evaporated, then you start taking points off your hit points. However, a critical hit takes points off of both tallies. If you critically hit someone, you are guaranteed that you have hurt them. If a hit takes you below zero but not on or below your death mark (-10 for humans), you take a critical injury. I imagine a tracking system similar to how disease is treated in 4E.

A corollary of this is keeping the Critical threat mechanic. The more skilful you are, the greater your chance of confirming a critical.

Different types of actions: While I agree with you mrswing to an extent, I think I've devised something that's interesting, intuitive and most of all, allows for lots of fun and tactics.
Actions include:
- Standard Action (you could also call this a primary action): It's the main thing a character does in their "6 seconds" - be it attack, charge down a door, cast a spell or whatever.
- Movement Action: In 6 seconds, you are most likely going to move while you are doing other things. However, movement is the only thing encompassed in a move action - nothing else. It simply determines how you move about the battlefield - even if it is "sprinting" and thus losing your standard action.
All characters have a Standard and Move action. However, while a starting character has only 1 minor action to begin with, more skilful characters will have more.
- Minor Action (or secondary action(s)): These are the interesting ones and are the ones that differentiate the skilful from their staid opponents. For example, if you have an unused minor action - you are then entitiled to use this to make an attack of opportunity/opportunity attack. Or alternatively, you can move through a closed door, using a minor action to open the door in the middle of your movement. Or, if you are able to cleave, you can use your minor action to make a cleave attack. Or if you are entitled to a second attack during your turn, you can use this minor action to make it. Hopefully you get the idea. As characters get more skilful, they may choose to acquire bonus minor action(s). Oh and by the way, you can use a "free" action as part of any other action (usually to speak or drop something).

McCows

Vancian Magic - There are many things I like about Vancian magic but I think it's time has come. The restrictions on the casting of magic should be far more interesting than either this or the daily/encounter/at will options currently available.

BAB: Not really dead, but changed around significantly. If you are a novice at something, you should remain a novice. Having a high level wizard attack better than a low level fighter always seemed a little odd to me. This is related to a discussion of mine relating to the core mechanic [d20 + modifier to equal or exceed a DC]. I'll quote something of mine below so you can see what I mean.

Extreme weakness of first-level characters: This is an interesting one. I'm still a believer in a 1st level character being a novice rather than a hero. A novice with an awful lot of potential though.

Fighters not getting any specific class features: I think with what I'm envisaging, a fighter can have a bit more variety than just getting thrown a feat every other level.

Magic working every time: I'll just leave this at see my future thread on this topic. Magic is special, and while Wizard's have been able to devise "magical recipes" that seem to consistently work, other magic can be far more fickle.

Different bonus types stacking or not stacking: I think the simplest thing here is to try and have a system where all bonuses stack. In other words, don't have too many bonuses. I envisage "buffing" working in a different way than just getting "plusses" to certain rolls or skill checks.

Template frenzy: I agree from the point of view that mosters shouldn't need to follow quite the same rules as the humanoid PCs. The specializing of monsters should be easier and more logical than the whacking on of a ridiculous number of templates.

Grappling: I think the easiest way of dealing with this, is to have it as a conventional attack that leads to the "Grappled" condition. Need to give this a little more thought though as to how it would actually work in practice.

Skills and feats for monsters when there is no need for them: Exactly, monsters don't follow the same creation rules as humanoid characters.

A Quick Discussion of the Core Mechanic
The core mechanic has several natural limiting factors, the range of DCs possible and the fact that we roll a d20 (which only has 20 levels of variation). The situation where DCs are either automatic successes or failures for the group (with minimal chance of changing this) is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, and hopefully in a more elegant way than giving a half level bonus to everyone for everything.

- Imagine that a complete novice has a +0 modifier to perform a skilled action
- What they can achieve ranges from a DC of 1 or lower (always successful) to a DC of 20 (the very limit of their capability) to a DC of 21 or above (impossible).
From this, a lot depends on scale but let's follow this through:
- A master (the highest level of ordinary achievement and capability in something) is defined as someone who can consistently do what a novice finds impossible (that would be a bonus of +20 or higher).
- What is the ceiling of achievement, even for a master? If you try to keep things as compressed as possible (having a master at +20), then your ceiling is a DC of 40. Anything over and above this becomes meaningless (at least in terms of what is mortally possible within the game structure).
- Using your 70/30 psychological success preference (rather than the 50/50 I had scribbled down), a master will expect to be successful up to a DC of 27, after that things start becoming difficult/frustrating even for a master.
- Now lets think of all the DCs involved in the game in terms of this scale: armor class, knowledge check DCs, skill check DCs, saving throw DCs and imagine this being standardized across the range.
- Also imagine having modifiers somewhere between +0 and +20 for everything.
I think if you do this, you have a system that can cope with it's own scale, and the fact that a d20 is your random factor (and not a d30 or 3d6 and so on). The d20 naturally restricts your range.

This was in response to Rangerwickett's post on the intro thread but is most probably worth mentioning here as a "new sacred cow" that needs a little loving to make it right.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

LotusBlossom

First Post
- I like what people have said about levels. In 4e I don't like getting a +1/2 for everything. I think it should be something more like +1/2 only on skills specific to your Class (or profession). Perhaps, a feat (or some mechanic) can allow a PC to bring other skills into their set of Class skills.

- Feats & Skills: In 4e I have a hard time distinguishing Feats from skills from other types of actions (at least if it wasn't written down in the PHB). Skills should be something anyone can learn if they put in the time, something even the average NPC farmer can do. Feat should be special moves, extensions to the skills, etc, that are special to PC/Classes/something. Maybe they cost Combat Points to perform. I guess I'm still a little fuzzy about all this, but as an example: Take a Fighter with the acrobatic skill. Acrobatics will allow the Fighter (or anyone with acrobatics) to do acrobatic type stuff. However, if acrobatics were tied to a Feat, then the fighter could leap over his opponant for a back(or flanking) attack. This could also just be some special Fighter Martial Feat. And maybe performing this Feat (like a wizard casting a spell) costs some Combat Points to perform (or not).

- Grappling: I'm not so sure a standard attack roll should apply here. I'm thinking a maybe a halfling fighter (or mid level) attacking an ogre. Sure the halfling should be able to hit often enough (for argument's sake, let's say 70% chance), but without somekind of magic or special feat, I can't see the halfling having a 70% chance of grappling an orge. Maybe riding on his back and such, but not wrestling him to the floor. A halfling's strength is much less than an ogre's strength.

Some great ideas guys. Let's keep it up. I'm not sure how the WIKI works on this site, but it would be nice if the group could get a couple WIKI pages, so we could start a "work in progress" of the rules/ideas.

BTW: what is BAB? Is it Beginner as beginner?

mrswing

Explorer
BAB = Base Attack Bonus introduced in 3E.

As to grappling: a grapple is just an attack like any other (you roll to hit), but whether you can immobilize/damage an opponent depends on strength & size (and this should be resolved after the original attack roll hits). Even a STR 25 half-orc cannot grapple an Ancient Red Dragon Wyrm, realistically, and neither could the halfling seriously discomfort the ogre. But he definitely could get hold of him, and (strength check) hang on to a limb. Although why a halfling would want to grapple an ogre in the first place, I really couldn't begin to imagine... ;)

LotusBlossom

First Post
Thanks for BAB. Also, I now see what people are saying with the to-hit roll. I assume you wouldn't be using your weapon ToHit values, but I'm not sure what ToHit value a PC would use? Hand to hand doesn't seem quite right, as I probably suck at hand-to-hand combat, but I'm pretty sure I could just 'grab' someone if I wanted to. I might not be able to hang onto them for long or bring the person down to the ground, but I feel confident on the grabbing part.

Walknot

First Post
Vancian Magic - There are many things I like about Vancian magic but I think it's time has come. The restrictions on the casting of magic should be far more interesting than either this or the daily/encounter/at will options currently available.

Not sure what "Vancian" means, so pardon for that. Please explain if you like.

Do like the concept that magic can be dangerous, and is not just a set of tricks that you have mastered. In other words, as a student of the arcane you might try to stretch your ability and that could have a chance of failure, or *worse*.

For instance, suppose at you have access to a flame spell. But you think you can maybe accomplish a fireball (how different can it be?) so you try it in a time of dire need. There should be a fair chance of success at some reduced effectiveness, but an equal chance of a "backfire" or energy drain, or some such thing.

You could even link the spell casting ability with a specific spell to the number of successes *in game*. that could really encourage a mage to practice their core spells, and limit their repertoire.

Not sure what "Vancian" means, so pardon for that. Please explain if you like.

Do like the concept that magic can be dangerous, and is not just a set of tricks that you have mastered. In other words, as a student of the arcane you might try to stretch your ability and that could have a chance of failure, or *worse*.

For instance, suppose at you have access to a flame spell. But you think you can maybe accomplish a fireball (how different can it be?) so you try it in a time of dire need. There should be a fair chance of success at some reduced effectiveness, but an equal chance of a "backfire" or energy drain, or some such thing.

You could even link the spell casting ability with a specific spell to the number of successes *in game*. that could really encourage a mage to practice their core spells, and limit their repertoire.
The "Vancian" system of magic is where you memorize/prepare/choose spells at some point in the day that are then used (vanish from memory, are cast). Your typical spell slots situation. It came from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series where the "wizard" involved carefully chose the spells he would need.

I think what you're saying (in terms of the fireball thing) is in accord with my ideas on magic on the Making Spells and Arcane Work thread. I'll respond there instead.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads