Sad Day In Syracuse

Holy Bovine

First Post
Ranger REG said:
The new owner didn't want them there? Is the new owner discriminating certain merchants?

The new owners of one of the 5(!) malls here in London decided that they no longer wanted any store that wasn't a national brand name. So far 4 local business have been shut down to make room for 4 women's clothing stores.

To the OP - how big is Syracuse? London is about 350 000 and we have 4 games stores (2 of them friendly!). All but 1 of them are Comic/RPG/Board game stores.

Syracuse is probably the third or fourth biggest city in New York -- outside of the greater NYC area (which might as well be a state of its own).
Albany, Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse are the biggies.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Mighty Halfling said:
Syracuse is probably the third or fourth biggest city in New York -- outside of the greater NYC area (which might as well be a state of its own).
Albany, Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse are the biggies.

Well according to wikipedia Syracuse the city has about 147 000 but the entire metro area has over 730 000. It is a surprise that a population that large can't support more than a single games store.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Holy Bovine said:
So far 4 local business have been shut down to make room for 4 women's clothing stores.
There's nothing more shameful for a man than to go through all 4 women's clothing stores ... with his wife or girlfriend ... in one day.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Perhaps once Carousel Mall becomes Destiny USA, the largest mall in the world, it will be able to support a gaming store to feed the flocks of tourists from around the globe.

Sorry, the idea of tourists flocking to that area still makes me snicker. "Come visit Desitny USA on the beautiful shore of Onondaga Lake, one of New York State's most polluted lakes. Breathe the fresh air provided by the waste water treatment plant located next door. See the panoramic view partially obscured by smoke belching from Crucible Metals, and of course shop at the largest collection of the same stores you get at every other mall in America."

One thing that probably hurts the prospects of a gaming store in Syracuse is the loss of other jobs that has been hurting the economy in general. Many people, especially younger people, have been leaving the area in search of work. Overall I think its a nice area and is certainly one of the more affordable areas to live in in the Northeast, provided you can get a decent paying job.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
The new owner didn't want them there? Is the new owner discriminating certain merchants?

Sadly, many building owners in my area discriminate against businesses that host gaming. Especially the mall owners, whose other stores dislike the type of traffic a gaming store draws. Its actually pretty pathetic how a group of gamers scares these ignorant jerks to the point that they complain about foot traffic to their mall. If I owned a store in the same strip mall as a gaming store I'd probably devote at least some of my marketing towards the increased traffic to the mall instead of trying to cater to more "desirable" clientel.

Gallo22

First Post
Let me correct a few incorrect comments...

The reason the store moved was because the rent was cheaper in the Mall, then the location they were at before. Yes..., I said cheaper!!! By a lot from my understanding. They also have most everything they have alway had. I still shop there and they have all the major RPGs, D&D minis, tons of board games, warhammer stuff and tons of comics (1/3 of the shop to be exact!). They still have all the CCG you can think of, etc. They also still have CCG tourneys, board game night (every tuesday night), D&D mini tourneys, etc.

Please....if your concerned about this, just go to their web site. They have all the information you need. Or, better yet, send them an e-mail.

I'm also very surprised that LightPheonix is just finding this out, as the store has been there for almost 2 months now??? ;)

AND NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!!! :)

Gallo

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Vyvyan Basterd said:
Sadly, many building owners in my area discriminate against businesses that host gaming. Especially the mall owners, whose other stores dislike the type of traffic a gaming store draws. Its actually pretty pathetic how a group of gamers scares these ignorant jerks to the point that they complain about foot traffic to their mall. If I owned a store in the same strip mall as a gaming store I'd probably devote at least some of my marketing towards the increased traffic to the mall instead of trying to cater to more "desirable" clientel.

Perhaps what we need is a chain of malls dedicated to the right type of clientel:

Introducing Geek Mall! All your gaming, comic, computer and technology needs in one easy location! Geek Mall provides services that other "mainstream" malls cannot match, such as Elvish and Klingon translators on site, and Certified Rules Lawyers. Period costume and weapons welcome (with proper safing of weapons or "peace knots"). We accept all major credit cards and of course coin of the realm.

Bardsandsages

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
We accept all major credit cards and of course coin of the realm.

I think you've hit on something here. A chain store that sold tokens that could be used to make purchases at any outlet! Imagine that you could buy a bag of "gold coins" and then use then at any sister store! What a cool gift for the gamer in your life!

"Why, here, my darling, take this bag of gold and go buy yourself a new dragon mini!"

Disney and theme parks do it...why not hobby shops!?

Dragon Snack

First Post
I am a little perplexed, this isn't news...

Altered States became How You Play The Game (apparently shortened to Play The Game now) and moved last year. I bought over 100 Reaper minis at half price before they moved...

Speaking as an out of towner, I always thought that old location was crappy anyway. Who was going to be in that area unless they were specifically going to the Spaghetti Warehouse or Altered States? Not that I'll be headed to a mall anytime soon, but at least they get a bit more traffic passing by that wouldn't normally be going to the store anyway.

Come on over to Rochester, we have 7 game stores in our "metropolitan" area. Heck, you don't even have to make it all the way here, stop by Lost Worlds in Macedon or Coyote's Den in Canandaigua. Not the size of (the old) Altered States, but good stores in their own right.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases