D&D 5E Sage Advice August 17th

Scorpio616

First Post
Any my above post is when the players are acting well as a team, for some groups the option to delay will create animosity and bickering.

Tom: YOU FIREBALLED MY FIGHTER!
Nick: I told to to delay until after me!
Tom: DON'T TELL ME HOW TO PLAY MY CHARACTER!

With only readying being the option, Nick would understand Tom not wanting to lose his Bonus action, potentially an attack, and his extra 1, 2 or 3 attacks.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
There is an easy fix to Goodberry, although it's not exactly RAW. One goodberry is the equivalent of a day of food. Can you actually eat 10 days worth of food at one sitting? I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the number of Goodberries you can eat per Long Rest. I'd also rule that you can only eat one per round - which means that Cure Light stays useful for combat and Goodberry is for out of combat healing.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
There is an easy fix to Goodberry, although it's not exactly RAW. One goodberry is the equivalent of a day of food. Can you actually eat 10 days worth of food at one sitting? I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the number of Goodberries you can eat per Long Rest. I'd also rule that you can only eat one per round - which means that Cure Light stays useful for combat and Goodberry is for out of combat healing.

You can only eat one per turn. The spell specifically states a character can use an action to eat one berry. That's why I'm ok with this ruling. It's 4 hit points for an action by the character eating the berry. So the druid would have to use his action to cast goodberry and the PC has to use his action to eat a single berry. It's not good in combat healing at all. If you take Life Cleric, goodberry operates like an earlier version of prayer of healing. Prayer of Healing is still much better when a group is wounded. The ruling is fine.

Last edited:

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Everyone rolls initiative. As the DM, I call out, "Everyone above X (where x=my initiative roll) can go."
Then I go as the DM
Then I call out, "OK, everyone else can go."

I might add this to my "declare actions at start of round and roll initiative each round" variant that we use. We currently do an initiative countdown and have people take actions, but just saying "everyone before 15 go now" works for me.

We definitely run into spells lasting longer/shorter than specified due to "until your next turn" but who cares? It all comes out in the wash of averages over time. Sometimes my hold person is extra effective on the first failed save. Sometimes it's not. No big deal.

I like the chaos of new initiative each round and the fact that we've removed a lot of the "tactical miniatures wargame" effects of static initiative.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'm personally glad to see the Delay action taken out. As a DM, I found it incredibly frustrating because my group of players would tend to abuse it. Plus, it relies on awareness of the initiative order, which is something the characters wouldn't know about.

I used to describe them all as "battle computers" as the game ground to a halt while they discussed every possible iteration of actions they could take before choosing the "best" one.

A few times, I had the villains use the Delay action to similar effect, and the players got annoyed with me. Funny how that works.

Now, without that option, the game flows much more quickly.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Hmmmm. If the average is 2000 daily calories, that would be 80,000 calories. You would probably die from trying to stuff many calories in your system.

While that is true for average Joe you need to remember that where talking about HEROES and they laugh in the face of 80,000 calories man these guys must have a banquet once a week in there honor

Remove ads