D&D 5E Sage Advice August 17th

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is an easy fix to Goodberry, although it's not exactly RAW. One goodberry is the equivalent of a day of food. Can you actually eat 10 days worth of food at one sitting? I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the number of Goodberries you can eat per Long Rest. I'd also rule that you can only eat one per round - which means that Cure Light stays useful for combat and Goodberry is for out of combat healing.

You're fixing a relatively obscure interaction of an ability from one class interacting with a spell from another class all due to optional multiclassing rules, at the expense of the normal use of the spell. It's throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The spell is obviously intended to provide the ability to eat more than one berry in a day (it only heals a single hit point per berry, and makes 10 berries, and nobody travels with 10 people in this game). If it bothers you, just disallow this ruling - it's easily done. It's perfectly reasonable to say that the Life Cleric ability says it alters a casting of a spell - and you only cast the spell one time, so just say it impacts just the first berry eaten after the spell is cast.

Arial Black

Adventurer
They are magical non-fattening calories. Like ice cream.

Or other peoples chips/fries.

You ask your girlfriend if she wants some, she says "No, I'm on a diet", you buy your own, she eats 'one or two' from your plate, this turns into her eating nearly half, you let her because you love her, you don't mention that they'll make her fat because you don't have enough hit points to survive her response...!

It's the old, old story. Guy gets chips, guy loses chips...

Face it, you didn't make these berries; the druid did. These are 'other people's berries', therefore, no calories.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm not. Ready was made VERY costly, as you have to be specific; then you use use up Reaction & Action and then lose access to Extra Attacks, many possibly bonus actions along with Concentration. Many times players would just delay if they could instead.

With delay you'd see certain things over and over again,

Melee type would delay after their blasters and their foes, hoping the enemy would move in closer.
Multiple attackers delay after the debuffer so they can pick targets based on who's debuffed.
Rogues delay until after the tank closes into a foe.

With Only Ready, it's "Sorry! No plan survives first contact with the enemy (or your allies) ! Act now or ready!"
My guys are going to argue they are getting cheated out of their extra attacks I can hear it now.

DMCF

First Post
I think the sneak attack damage not applying to unarmed strike is because at a certain level the monk's hands count as magical items. Monk/Rogue synergy is pretty good and allowing them to have magical attacks without magical weapons is difficult to manage in low magic campaigns where magic weapons are mean't to be rare.

I'd half the SA damage on magical resistance unless there was a magical damaging hand wrap but maybe that just gets to confusing.

Remove ads