D&D 5E Sage Advice August 17th

S

Sunseeker

The Delay ruling irrelevant I think. I understand why it's not allowed but again it's not really one of those things you can, or even should have rules for. If a party wants to tactically organize their turn, then they will figure out a way and honestly it saves everyone a lot of headache if you just let them. If a party doesn't, then having the option to delay is meaningless. Further: not everyone is all so hopped up on a hard-fast initiative. It works well for what I'll call the "perfect game" where you have a well-behaved party, a limited number of opponents to track and everyone can make decisions quickly. As for changing spell duration, I agree that can be a problem, but it feels like such a minor issue that it's almost like you're looking for a problem.

Here's the thing: delay is such a simple ruling either A: people are going to put it in there, in which case "not including rules for it" makes WotC look like a petulant child crying out that we're playing the game wrong. or B: people are not going to use it and it wouldn't matter anyway.

I track initiative for almost every game I play in, regardless of if I DM, because I'm GOOD at it, not because I think it's important.

Their ruling on polymorph seems technically incorrect since the limitation on spellcasting is only if you can perform the requisite actions. Being a bear doesn't mean you can't cast spells. You just have to cast spells with no verbal or somatic component. A sorcerer could technically use Still and Silent spell and still cast those spells while a bear.

Hussar

Legend
The Delay ruling irrelevant I think. I understand why it's not allowed but again it's not really one of those things you can, or even should have rules for. If a party wants to tactically organize their turn, then they will figure out a way and honestly it saves everyone a lot of headache if you just let them. If a party doesn't, then having the option to delay is meaningless. Further: not everyone is all so hopped up on a hard-fast initiative. It works well for what I'll call the "perfect game" where you have a well-behaved party, a limited number of opponents to track and everyone can make decisions quickly. As for changing spell duration, I agree that can be a problem, but it feels like such a minor issue that it's almost like you're looking for a problem.

Here's the thing: delay is such a simple ruling either A: people are going to put it in there, in which case "not including rules for it" makes WotC look like a petulant child crying out that we're playing the game wrong. or B: people are not going to use it and it wouldn't matter anyway.

I track initiative for almost every game I play in, regardless of if I DM, because I'm GOOD at it, not because I think it's important.

Their ruling on polymorph seems technically incorrect since the limitation on spellcasting is only if you can perform the requisite actions. Being a bear doesn't mean you can't cast spells. You just have to cast spells with no verbal or somatic component. A sorcerer could technically use Still and Silent spell and still cast those spells while a bear.

Wouldn't you still need the material component as well which unless you dropped it beforehand as it would be melded into your new form?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Damn, I really need to go back and re-read my PHB. One thing I'm not impressed about in 5e is the layout of the books. Rules are buried all over the freaking place.

This would have really had an impact on our last session's encounter.

The worst culprit is the Stealth rules which are in several locations. Then again they usually spread the Stealth rules out.

I'm a little unhappy with the stacking rules. Crawford has stated that by RAW multiple Paladin protection auras stack. That's absurd. He seems to think the stacking rule only applies to spells. I recall reading somewhere that similar effects do not stack of any kind. Some of the similar effects are DM call. I'm starting to run into stacking rule problems, especially with AC.

At the moment the paladin can easily get his AC to 24. He's wearing +1 plate, a shield, defensive fighting style, and he casts shield of faith. If the paladin also cast shield that would raise it to 29. If he stacked haste, that would be 31. If at high level they eventually stack foresight on him, he would be nearly unhittable. I can't hand him anymore magic items without further exacerbating the problem with an overly high AC. If I build a creature to hit the paladin, he can straight tear the rest of the party apart. It's becoming an issue in encounter design.

Azurewraith

Explorer
The worst culprit is the Stealth rules which are in several locations. Then again they usually spread the Stealth rules out.

I'm a little unhappy with the stacking rules. Crawford has stated that by RAW multiple Paladin protection auras stack. That's absurd. He seems to think the stacking rule only applies to spells. I recall reading somewhere that similar effects do not stack of any kind. Some of the similar effects are DM call. I'm starting to run into stacking rule problems, especially with AC.

At the moment the paladin can easily get his AC to 24. He's wearing +1 plate, a shield, defensive fighting style, and he casts shield of faith. If the paladin also cast shield that would raise it to 29. If he stacked haste, that would be 31. If at high level they eventually stack foresight on him, he would be nearly unhittable. I can't hand him anymore magic items without further exacerbating the problem with an overly high AC. If I build a creature to hit the paladin, he can straight tear the rest of the party apart. It's becoming an issue in encounter design.

It all ways causes issues when that happens send a rust monster or two at him ^^ or pelt him with some dex save magic(im assuming hes dumpled dex)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
It all ways causes issues when that happens send a rust monster or two at him ^^ or pelt him with some dex save magic(im assuming hes dumpled dex)

His dex is 14. His Charisma is 18. He has a +6 on Dex saves. Paladins are a nasty class. Very annoying. I tried poisoning the group. The paladin removed the poison those that failed. He can remove their disease. I love the paladin is powerful in 5E. Sometimes I feel the class is too powerful.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I was hoped you were going to say he tanked dex hard and has an 8. Maybe grapple him or some such

I tried that. He has Athletics and a 20 strength from a magic item. He doesn't fail too often. With the Crawford ruling that monsters can't exchange attacks for grapple attempts, it leads to them doing less damage. Though I do allow creatures I feel could do so to exchange grapple attempts for attacks like troll claw attacks. Even when I occasionally grapple him, the rest of the party slams the creature. This is my second time running 5E and my first time past 6th level. I'm finding parties are much stronger than the creatures. There's a real wide problem with bounded accuracy and armor. I can tear apart casters and non-heavy armor users with relative ease with monsters, but a well built heavy armor user can withstand a ton of attacks from creatures. Creates a problem with encounter design where the monster can kill non-heavy armor users too easily, but has far too difficult a time attacking heavy armor users. I'm going to have to figure out how to handle the problem within the 5E system.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I tried that. He has Athletics and a 20 strength from a magic item. He doesn't fail too often. With the Crawford ruling that monsters can't exchange attacks for grapple attempts, it leads to them doing less damage. Though I do allow creatures I feel could do so to exchange grapple attempts for attacks like troll claw attacks. Even when I occasionally grapple him, the rest of the party slams the creature. This is my second time running 5E and my first time past 6th level. I'm finding parties are much stronger than the creatures. There's a real wide problem with bounded accuracy and armor. I can tear apart casters and non-heavy armor users with relative ease with monsters, but a well built heavy armor user can withstand a ton of attacks from creatures. Creates a problem with encounter design where the monster can kill non-heavy armor users too easily, but has far too difficult a time attacking heavy armor users. I'm going to have to figure out how to handle the problem within the 5E system.

It is a conundrum i have yet to dm 5e but from the looks of things they just made plate armor to attractive you get disadvantage to stealth big woop. I remember when it slowed your speed and caused any moment requiring skill to be at like a -5.

Theres 2choices i guess one ignore him and shred the rest of the party or fudge every now and again.

Ok, that Paladin Aura stacking ruling is one thing I will definitely ignore. Chose the higher bonus. Otherwise a Paladin order is by definition immune to any spell.

Remove ads