• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sage Advice!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for this, Morrus! --

it's really helpful to have everything collected here.

It's interesting to have clarifications in the world of Twitter; responses are gut reactions typically, and while authoritative are not exactly official (in that it would be easy to see a ruling being changed in an official publication.

Still, for the most part they show a consistent attitude towards loose, free, fun play.

Only one of the answers seems really wonky to me (and is perhaps characterized by haste in responding?):

"at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, ..." Long Rest interrupted by any combat or only combat that lasts more than an hour? Must last 1+ hours to break it. -M

I've never been in a D&D combat that lasted more than an hour; nor have I heard of one -- most last fewer than 30 seconds. I really feel that the intention must have been for any combat to interrupt the rest.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I interpret this as: if you WIN the fight, it probably lasts less than a minute and you can resume resting. If you flee into the woods screaming like little children, it probably tokes at least an hour to regroup and the resting is interrupted. ;)

Chocolategravy

First Post
Mike has lots of bad answers. His answer on the durable feat completely contradicts how the word roll is used consistently throughout the book for instance. I'm willing to believe a home DM will come up with the correct answer more often than Mike will. If anything I'd use the opposite of what he says... Even though they've said they're going to use long cycles for errata, I think it's best just to wait for it.

brehobit

Explorer
Humm,
These two are exactly the opposite of how I'd rule. It's easier to put a weapon in another hand, cast a spell and put it back then to take a hand off of a two-handed weapon, cast, and go back? Also, utterly hoses wizards with a staff AFAICT.

Any advice on handling Clerics/druids with shields and spell casting? They seem disadvantaged without a hand free for S/M comps. just stow that weapon in the shield hand for a moment and you're good - the rule isn't there to restrict, but to clarify. -M

can you cast a spell that uses somatic components if you weild a 2 handed weapon or a vertile weapon in 2 hands? nope. -M

Others have thoughts on this?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I interpret this as: if you WIN the fight, it probably lasts less than a minute and you can resume resting. If you flee into the woods screaming like little children, it probably tokes at least an hour to regroup and the resting is interrupted. ;)

If that's the case, then combat never interrupts a rest. Which is a bad ruling, in my book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for this, Morrus! --

it's really helpful to have everything collected here.

It's interesting to have clarifications in the world of Twitter; responses are gut reactions typically, and while authoritative are not exactly official (in that it would be easy to see a ruling being changed in an official publication.

Still, for the most part they show a consistent attitude towards loose, free, fun play.

Only one of the answers seems really wonky to me (and is perhaps characterized by haste in responding?):

I've never been in a D&D combat that lasted more than an hour; nor have I heard of one -- most last fewer than 30 seconds. I really feel that the intention must have been for any combat to interrupt the rest.

My guess is he was typing quickly on a phone, and saw the word "walking", not "fighting".

Stalker0

Legend
Humm,
These two are exactly the opposite of how I'd rule. It's easier to put a weapon in another hand, cast a spell and put it back then to take a hand off of a two-handed weapon, cast, and go back? Also, utterly hoses wizards with a staff AFAICT.

Others have thoughts on this?

I would rule it that they are currently "weidling" the TH sword, so no OA...but otherwise I would allow it, especially if you are allowing sword and shield to do it

variant

Adventurer
  • There has been confusion over the durable feat and the meaning of "roll" does a 20 con wizard regain a min 10 or 15 hp w/ feat? 10 - roll means die roll + mods. Anything that affects only the number yielded by the die will say so specifically. -M
  • so a class with d6 or d8 HD and a 20 con can use durable to get back more than max possible? -yes. -M
There's tweets missing from this. The second was a question to clarify something when Mike Mearls said a DM could rule that it could be either 10 or 15 as it wouldn't be overpowered. It's obvious because the second line contradicts the first line. The default ruling is the first one and was again commented on in another tweet. The main issue I think is that they aren't all in the same twitter conversation, so it's easy to miss them.

Last edited:

Remove ads