Sage Answers on Dispel Magic

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The item isn't suppressed. It still works as normal. However, the _effect_ that it grants its user is dispelled (but can be reactivated).

The slippers aren't an activated item, though. Simply by being worn, they enable movement on vertical surfaces. Any time they aren't being suppressed, they work.

Bracers of Armor? Gloves of Dexterity? Mantle of Spell Resistance? Would you have all of these stop functioning until the user's next action, which he must use to reactivate them?

In the case of the ring of invisibility, the user "becomes invisible, as the spell". That sounds a lot like an ongoing magical effect, even if the source of that effect was an item. Much the same goes for the flaming sword. There's nothing stopping the user from going invisible again on the next round, or reigniting the sword.

I'm more willing to consider these ones, because they are activation-required items. Unlike the slippers.

But I'm still doubtful :)

-Hyp.

hong

WotC's bitch
Hypersmurf said:

The slippers aren't an activated item, though. Simply by being worn, they enable movement on vertical surfaces. Any time they aren't being suppressed, they work.

Bracers of Armor? Gloves of Dexterity? Mantle of Spell Resistance? Would you have all of these stop functioning until the user's next action, which he must use to reactivate them?

That's okay, because it's not an action to activate these items; they're "always on". You could think of it as the magic getting dispelled, but then coming back on immediately, so no-one notices.

I hadn't noticed that the slippers of spider climb were also not-an-action to activate. In that case, a dispel magic wouldn't do anything too.

Caliber

Explorer
Okay well I guess I have been running this stuff wrong. But then it doesn't matter cause if Slippers of Spider Climb are dispelled, even for a brief moment, the user would still fall. At least I would think so. Thanks. :)

Number47

First Post
Re: Dispel magic and supernatural

To clear up the confusion about Dispel Magic and supernatural effects.... If, for instance, I have the supernatural ability to create flames then Dispel Magic can dispel the supernatural effect (the flames), but not the supernatural ability (me creating flames). So it will not work on anything that is an ability without an external effect, including supernatural flying, supernatural wall walking, etc. In order to dispel something that is supernatural, it has to in some way be separate from the creature that has the supernatural power.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Dispel magic and supernatural

Number47 said:
To clear up the confusion about Dispel Magic and supernatural effects.... If, for instance, I have the supernatural ability to create flames then Dispel Magic can dispel the supernatural effect (the flames), but not the supernatural ability (me creating flames). So it will not work on anything that is an ability without an external effect, including supernatural flying, supernatural wall walking, etc. In order to dispel something that is supernatural, it has to in some way be separate from the creature that has the supernatural power.

On what basis do you say that flying isn't an "effect"? If I can't fly, and I cast a funky spell that lets me zoot about in the air, that seems like an effect to me. The same holds if I use a pair of winged boots to do it.

Psyduck

First Post
Here's an interesting point...

I have a question then. Since the sage says that the equipment worn by a person counts as being the person as well, Would a targeted dispel, targetting the creature, affect the slippers?

Cor Azer

First Post
Re: Here's an interesting point...

Psyduck said:
I have a question then. Since the sage says that the equipment worn by a person counts as being the person as well, Would a targeted dispel, targetting the creature, affect the slippers?

No, a targetted dispel magic on a creature affects any spells currently active on the creature or any of its items. The slippers are a magic item, not a spell in effect on the creature, so a targetted dispel magic on the creature doesn't affect the slippers (or any magic item). Any additional spells (not inherent item abilities) on the magic items (For example, a Nystul's Undetectable Aura on the slippers) could be affected by the targetted displel magic on the creature.

Number47

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Dispel magic and supernatural

hong said:

On what basis do you say that flying isn't an "effect"? If I can't fly, and I cast a funky spell that lets me zoot about in the air, that seems like an effect to me. The same holds if I use a pair of winged boots to do it.

I say that because the rules specifically state that you cannot dispel a supernatural ability. So, although a black dragon's breath weapon is a supernatural ability, you cannot dispel it (even for a round) because you cannot dispel an ability. If the black dragon uses it's supernatural ability to charm reptiles, you can dispel the effect upon the reptiles.

Otherwise, the way you are saying it, you can dispel anything you want to.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dispel magic and supernatural

Number47 said:

I say that because the rules specifically state that you cannot dispel a supernatural ability. So, although a black dragon's breath weapon is a supernatural ability, you cannot dispel it (even for a round) because you cannot dispel an ability. If the black dragon uses it's supernatural ability to charm reptiles, you can dispel the effect upon the reptiles.

And that's exactly the same as what I've been saying. The black dragon's breath weapon is an instantaneous-use ability, and hence there are no ongoing effects to dispel. Conversely, the charm ability's ongoing effects can be dispelled, although the ability itself remains usable.

The same holds for things like rings of invis or winged boots. A dispel magic, unless specifically targeted on the item, can't affect it. However, the dispel _can_ affect any _ongoing_ supernatural effects; see the PHB description. This use of dispel magic doesn't affect the item per se, and so (if given the opportunity) the target could just reactivate the item.

Otherwise, the way you are saying it, you can dispel anything you want to.

Yes, and they can come back right again. If you want them to disappear for any length of time, you use an antimagic field.

Last edited:

Remove ads