Sagiro's Story Hour: Now That It's Over

Teflonknight

Explorer
I haven’t read this entire thread but I was curious about the reasons behind a couple of changes.

1) Why did you choose for Mrs. Horn to remain dead and not be resurrected?

2) Why did you choose to make the entire party humans as opposed to the races they were in the story hour.

Both books were good and I think you really hit your stride in book 2. I am rereading the story hour to fill the gap until book 3 comes out next year.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Hey there, Teflonknight!

First off, for your benefit and that of anyone else still following this thread: I've just today put up on my website chapter-by-chapter summaries of The Ventifact Colossus and The Crosser's Maze. That way, when book 3 comes out, readers who don't have the time to go back and re-read the earlier books can catch themselves up in about 45-60 minutes.

https://dorianhart.com/the-ventifact-colossus-in-20-minutes/
https://dorianhart.com/the-crossers-maze-in-half-an-hour/

To answer your questions:

1) This one has a two-part answer: a) Resurrection isn't a standard part of how the world works. Its existence would have been a can of worms I didn't want to open. b) As you may guess from the epilogue of The Crosser's Maze, Mrs. Horn's role in the series is not over, not by a long shot.

2) Similarly, the existence of classic D&D races was a can-of-worms decision. Having elves and dwarves and halflings would have necessitated (IMHO) a lot of cultural and political explanations and setting-work not central to my vision of the series. Also, while I'm happy that my books have a "D&D" feel, I think having races right out of the PH might have gone a bit too far in that direction. :)

Glad you're enjoying the books! I've finished the initial draft and revisions of Book 3 ("The Greatwood Portal") and am about to send it out to my team of readers.

Teflonknight

Explorer
Quick question: I noticed while reading the campaign write up again that it is revealed that the emperor allowed himself to be banished. Did you ever reveal why?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
I don't think I ever explicitly revealed it, but in my mind, it was because he knew his banishment was inevitable, and he wanted to go on his own terms, taking as much of his strength/magic/power with him as possible. It was a bit hand-wavy, admittedly.

SolitonMan

Explorer
I'm reading the collected story hour again, and I'm wondering, Sagiro, if you had planned out what the party would have found had they left the Slice in which they met the Solfar and investigated the place from which the Screel came. If so, what was it? :)

Everett

First Post
Last time I posted in this thread was 2 and 1/2 years ago; the campaign ended more than 5 years ago. Unreal.

Sagiro, where's book 3 at? What with George RR Martin making noises about never finishing his series I guess I just wanted to touch in here.

Not that you're George RR Martin. For one you're not likely to die inside a decade. But still and all. I just want an epic spell that gives me Sagiro's world back in my life for a bit.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Finished it! I have to say, the novels just keep getting better and better. Character development is fabulous, and having read the SH many times, I like the little foreshadowing items I see, as well as twists that are brand new. Highly recommended! :)

Thanks for the post, I had forgotten about this. Time to place an order...

Remove ads