• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour Returns (new thread started on 5/18/08)

Len

Prodigal Member
Jackylhunter said:
Hmmm, good stuff, but they haven't actually gotten Flicker out yet.
If it's trap the soul they just have to smash the gem.

Hey, but:
SRD said:
If the trapped creature is a powerful creature from another plane it can be required to perform a service immediately upon being freed.
Well, Flicker's not from whatever demonic plane they're on now.

"Carry my bags until we get out of these darn Slices."

:)

shadowthorn

First Post
Sagiro,

I've been a long-time reader of your story hour, and I'd like to add my applause to the general acclaim: Bravo!

One of the items in your campaign that fascinates me the most is the Crosser's Maze. I don't know if you've revealed all of it's powers to your PCs, but if you have the stats for that item, do you mind emailing them to me? My email is shadowthorn69@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Fimmtiu said:
Man, if Srapa had only used see invisibility instead of true seeing, he might have made it. Tsk, tsk.

Agreed, the cold must have been numbing his brain to have not gone for See Invisibility. True Seeing has too short a range & too short a duration to be worth using in most cases. It was definitely bad luck to be tagged by the enervation and lose two top spells - it shows the value of Greater Globe of Invulnerability in that kind of situation which would have stopped both of those killer attacks cold (GGoI is often overlooked, unfortunately)

It is interesting that Srapa didn't seem like a bad person. After all, he could probably have trapped Kibi's soul and fled back with him if he hadn't been otherwise constrained. It was only his decision to be on hand to help against frost demons that led to him being attacked and killed at this point.

Bad luck, Srapa.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
It is interesting that Srapa didn't seem like a bad person. After all, he could probably have trapped Kibi's soul and fled back with him if he hadn't been otherwise constrained. It was only his decision to be on hand to help against frost demons that led to him being attacked and killed at this point.
Well, some people would probably consider using Trap the Soul against someone to be harming them. Something the Lord of the Roses specifically forbade.

I agree about Srapa not being evil, though. Nothing so far has indicated that either the Lord of the Roses or the monks are evilly-inclined. They are just both in dire need of Kibi's services...and willing to go to any lengths (it seems) to secure them.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Plane Sailing said:
Agreed, the cold must have been numbing his brain to have not gone for See Invisibility. True Seeing has too short a range & too short a duration to be worth using in most cases...

I don't want to start a long debate on Srapa's tactics, which clearly didn't work out so well for him. But regarding the above: Srapa's height above the party was also constrained by simple visibility through the blowing snow. Given that he had to stay relatively low just to see the ground, true seeing was a better option, being a superset of see invisibility functionally.

(And, as a side-note, Srapa was no tactical genius regardless. And as a side-side note, neither am I. :))

-Sagiro

Sagiro

shadowthorn said:
Sagiro,

I've been a long-time reader of your story hour, and I'd like to add my applause to the general acclaim: Bravo!

One of the items in your campaign that fascinates me the most is the Crosser's Maze. I don't know if you've revealed all of it's powers to your PCs, but if you have the stats for that item, do you mind emailing them to me? My email is shadowthorn69@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Shadowthorn, I'm afraid I cannot oblige; there are no stats for the Crosser's Maze, and deliberately so. I have a general idea of the sorts of things you can do with it, but there are few hard and fast rules governing its use. By reading the Story Hour so far, you know about as much about it as I do! (If you follow the link at the start of this thread, and go to chapter 9 of StevenAC's compilation, you can find the best description I have of how it all works.)

To sum up what is known: it allows the possessor to:

1. Focus voluntarily-given life energy from nearby beings, in order to deconstruct, reconstruct or reinforce planar fabric.

2. View macroscopic features of the multiverse, as if one were looking at a huge 3-D atlas of everything with full pan and zoom

3. Explore the "Inner Maze," a parallel/reflected/illusionary/recreated/semi-real/who-the-heck-knows equivalent of the multiverse in which former Keepers have often built themselves lasting abodes.

Aravis also has used the Maze as a chisel to break apart the artificial tethers that were binding the Prime planes of Volpos and Abernia together. A variant on use #1 above, really.

-Sagiro

Seule

Explorer
This story continues to compel. It's still a great example of epic-style play as opposed to epic-level play. Well done.

--Seule

Sagiro

I don't know how many readers this will effect, but I should point it out regardless: a few months back I discovered a missing chapter from this Story Hour thread. It's way back on page 3 (Post #46, I think) -- a chunk of narrative right before the Company has its big fight with Mokad at Black Circle Ground Zero. I don't know what happened to it, but last night I appended that chapter to the previous one, in the same post.

If you've been using StevenAC's compilation, you didn't miss anything. (In fact, that's where I went to recover the missing text!) And since I don't know when the post vanished, it's likely that most people reading here didn't miss anything, either. But in case you did, well, now it's back. It's a pretty noticeable omission, in that (among other things) it sets up the entire visual layout of the Black Circle ritual chamber before the final confrontation.

-Sagiro

Remove ads