• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour Returns (new thread started on 5/18/08)

Fimmtiu

First Post
Ouch. Poor Ernie. A pity -- as usual, the party's nemeses are more sympathetic than their allies. On a lighter topic, I suppose the whole "back in time" thing is why there's a giant statue of Ernie buried underground in the present?

Gold Roger

First Post
Interesting. You know, I may be alone with that, but I consider the killing of a helpless/captured foe an evil act in general. Not one that will shift your alignment, but evil nonetheless. (On the other hand I'm totally liberal with manipulating the free will, which seems to be considered evil in some games-does that make me a fashist? :confused:)

A strong layer of enchantments could have made that guy a valuable ally.

Do we know jet why the Sarshun are so damn devoted? They're nothing but slaves themself as well, aren't they? Why do they think Nalorics world is so much better (Naloric and the red armored guys are pretty obvious-they where the overlords of the world, while the black circle used to be the accepted great religion).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gold Roger said:
I consider the killing of a helpless/captured foe an evil act in general. Not one that will shift your alignment, but evil nonetheless.
In truth, it was an execution, and it was necessary if we were going to prevent the world where people like Karp get thrown into ovens. Truly, we had no choice. No matter how many enchantments we put on the guy, if he ever slipped them even once our world was doomed. It just wasn't an option.

The fact that Ernie took it upon himself to do it, when he could have abdicated the responsibility, was in many ways a character defining moment.

The sharshun are the servants of the Emperor, and they always have been. We're suspecting that this has a whole lot to do with Darkeye. We're starting to make some really disturbing guesses about who or what Darkeye is, and we're not liking them one bit.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Sagiro said:
Without giving himself time to hesitate, Ernie draws his sword and moves behind Inivane.

“I’m sorry,” he says.

“Sorry for what?” asks Inivane.

Ernie stabs him swiftly through the back of the neck. The Sharshun does indeed die quickly, though not without a last expression of utter betrayal.

I live for this! ;)

You know those heavy dramatic moments where doing the good thing means doing the bad thing? Yeah that.

Anyway, it is not as is they just decided this guy living was inconvenient and bashed his head in without a second thought. It looks like Abernathy's Company had a discussion of decent length on the matter and if they could have done anything else they probably would have.

And, if they feel really guilty about it they can always true res him later once the danger is permanently avoided. ;)

KidCthulhu

First Post
I think of this as one of Ernie's defining moments too. He had to die, that much was clear. And if he had to be executed, it had to be done by the person who least wanted to do it. That was the only way to make it right. If it had been done by someone who felt the slightest satisfaction in it, it would be murder, not execution. I think Prachett says something like this in one of the Diskworld Guard based books, and it always rang very true.

Everett

First Post
el-remmen said:
I live for this! ;)

You know those heavy dramatic moments where doing the good thing means doing the bad thing? Yeah that.

I agree, it was really nice. Not nice, but you get my meaning. I only wish I hadn't been scrolling upwards before I read the post and accidentally seen: "Ernie stabs Inivane through the neck... the Sharshun does indeed die quickly," which had a way of wrecking the effect, you know.

Everett

First Post
And come to that, might I suggest that in light of this...

Sagiro said:
Ernie stabs him swiftly through the back of the neck. The Sharshun does indeed die quickly, though not without a last expression of utter betrayal.

...that this was a rather poor title for the episode?

Sagiro said:
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 261
The Beans are Spilled

Ja, perhaps you would agree?

On another note, has Dranko's and Morningstar's wedding happened in-game yet?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads