• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sales of upcoming Greyhawk Ruins will determine it's future

BluSponge

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Yeah, Gygax. Stop promoting Lejendary Adventures and start writing up Greyhawk.

(I'd be surprised if he respond to my challenge.)

I wouldn't. Not if WotC handed him a nice, fat paycheck for the work.

Tom

Endur

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I think republishing the LGG in hardcover, with the timeline advanced to account for the canon changes by Living Greyhawk, would be sufficient for a lot of folks. LGG is long out of print, after all.

I would buy a hardcover that covered the canon changes from Living Greyhawk. After all, I already own the LGG, but I don't know all of the stuff that happened in the regions beyond my own region.

Personally, I think the hardcover expedition to castle greyhawk will do great in sales, primarily because of the Living Greyhawk campaign.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Jer said:
That's - completely backwards from a sales and marketing perspective.

Yes, and thank god. The marketing department would always rather you made the product the think will sell well, rather than the ones you want to make.

But WotC doesn't make soap, they make games. There was no marketing data that indicated Eberron would be a hit, WotC just wanted to publish a new setting and push it, so they did. They could have picked Greyhawk, saved some cash, but that didn't interest them.

Mortellan

Explorer
mattcolville said:
This whole thing strikes me as incredibly...silly.

If WotC wants Greyhawk to succeed, then they should work to make it a success, like any other company. Support it and promote it.

Obviously there are a few people at WotC who want to see more GH stuff, while the majority of the people in charge disagree. Those first few people occasionally get thrown a bone. Ok. But coming out with this coy, "Weellll...IF it does well then MAYBE we'll do some more stuff" is a complete smokescreen.

The reason there's no more GH stuff is because the people in charge don't like GH. If they liked it, they'd support it and promote it and make it a success. If a lot of people buy GH the people in charge...still won't like GH.
I agree with this post. To say Greyhawk hinges on this one product is a high hope indeed. I place more hope in people like Mona and Paizo defending it and supporting it than a clandestine corporate formula.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Zendragon said:
All I am saying is I don't want [Greyhawk] to be brought back as the default setting
Then go to sleep and I'll wake you when 4e is out.

Of course, if you need help sleeping... *shows a big anime-sized mallet* :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads