• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Same Character Changing Classes

jbear

First Post
I'm unsure what you are wanting to gain as a cleric, but here is a quick look at a fighter runepriest hybrid. It still functions very well as a hard hitting, resilient, sticky defender with some very flexible leader options that allows you to switch between adding to your groups attack capability or their defense.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 6
Dwarf, Runepriest|Fighter
Runic Artistry: Wrathful Hammer
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Battlerager Vigor (Hybrid)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 22 Fort: 19 Reflex: 14 Will: 17
HP: 56 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 14
TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +10, Endurance +14, Athletics +12
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +5, History +3, Intimidate +2, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +3, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3
FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Mobile Challenge
Level 6: Untamed Berserker Style
POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Word of Diminishment
Hybrid at-will 1: Cleave
Hybrid encounter 1: Executioner's Call
Hybrid daily 1: Rune of the Undeniable Dawn
Hybrid utility 2: Pass Forward
Hybrid encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Hybrid daily 5: Rain of Steel
Hybrid utility 6: Rune of Meritorious Alacrity
ITEMS
Magic Scale Armor +2, Amulet of Protection +1, Magic Execution axe +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Wormwood

Adventurer
Our elf Ranger fell in love with the Seeker class---so he came up with an awesome story of his new devotion to the Primal and just remade his character from the ground up.

Moved some stats around, swapped his magic items for appropriate ones of the same level, and he was ready to go the next session.

Easy peasy.

I'd just have him rebuild from the ground up.

Is he wanting to to change from a level 6 fighter to a level 6 cleric? If so you just need to come up with a plot device to "Transform" him. This would depend on what god he wanted to be a cleric of.

That's basically what I did when a player in my campaign wanted to change his character from "Kord-worshiping inspiring warlord" to "battle cleric of Kord". I gave his character an angelic apparition in a dream after the party had discovered an ancient underground temple the day before; I also had the angel transform his magical longspear into a morningstar. It was funny to see the players roleplay their reactions to this special event.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
If it's intended to be a "he chooses to change path, and then eventually does so" I would do it thusly:

Next level, rebuild as hybrid
Level after, rebuild as new class.

I'd like to do it SLOWER, but that could just be frustrating, so I'd go with a two-level transition.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
First, point out to him that he can be a priest of a religion without necessarily being a cleric. Point out the multiclass feats.

If he really wants to completely switch, let him rebuild the character from the ground up. The alternative is that he's stuck playing a character he doesn't really want to play, OR he retires the character and makes a new one. Either are worse for the flow of the game.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
If it's intended to be a "he chooses to change path, and then eventually does so" I would do it thusly:

I'd like to do it SLOWER, but that could just be frustrating, so I'd go with a two-level transition.

Why should the player have to play a character he doesn't want for an entire level (which can be months of real time, depending on how many combats you do and how often you play). Why should he have to muck around with hybrid rules (and possibly either make a too-strong or too-weak character in the process) if the character's only going to be a hybrid for a single level? Why not just let the player play the character that they want?

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Why should the player have to play a character he doesn't want for an entire level (which can be months of real time, depending on how many combats you do and how often you play). Why should he have to muck around with hybrid rules (and possibly either make a too-strong or too-weak character in the process) if the character's only going to be a hybrid for a single level? Why not just let the player play the character that they want?

Well for one, have you ever heard of "buyer's remorse"? Since none of us here (barring the OP) are part of this game, it's hard to say what the player's motivations are. Does he like the flavor better, the party role or the powers? If he makes his change, will he actually be happy? Possibly, but what if he's not? Then you have to make another huge change to go back to him being the Dwarf Fighter of old, which would get somewhat ridiculous. Having the player play some sort of a hybrid or multiclass build for a level will give them a taste of the class, while still maintaining an easy way to back out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

That is an intriguing idea... I was going to say well what various other posts...including multiclassing or just do a full rebuild with flashback elements but that is a fun idea.

Kingreaper

Adventurer

I said it's how I'D do it.

Not how I'd force someone else to do it.

It just seems more fun and real to go through it stepwise

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Personally I'd let him change the character to what he wanted. I'd ask for his collaboration in coming up with a story as to the how and why involved in the change, and if possible tie it into his backstory. Then I'd use those elements to help inspire some twist, hook, feature or element of the campaign/game/adventure.

As new power sources and splat books have come out my groups pcs have gone through some pretty radial changes... here is how we dealt with them.

-The Warforged fighter became Goliath Barbarian; The metal plates that had been fused into his body when he was 'forged' were torn free by the tormented spirit of a child the group freed from the chains that bound her into servitude. Warforged is not a race in my campaign. The Forged are a powerful and renowned group of mercenaries who fuse their body with metal upon initiation into the group. Now free of the forge blurred memories of the time before his initiation begin to return and his true nature revealed, however badly scarred and torn his body. He has turned his back on discipline, and now cannalises his unleashed fury into raw primal power. One does not simply abandon the ranks of the Forged however... and his scars tell a pretty tale that any Forged will recognise with little more than a glance!

The Drow Warlock became a Drow Sorceror at the same time (yep PHB2 came out); The same spirit (not just any lost soul, the daughter of a powerful seer who was cursed to see, but forever blind to the fate her daughter suffered: hook to the Tower of Spellguard) released the Warlock from her Dark Pact. The party actually came across the Drow when she was about to be sacrificed. It had been prophesied that as long as she lived, her House would suffer only misery and ill luck. Being in the interest of rival Houses that she be kept alive, her family's enemies aided her escape through the underdark. Nevertheless she was finally caught. The PCs played a part in freeing her. (This was how a new player joined the campaign that was already underway) Now free from her past and the dark oaths she swore beneath the suface she has turned her will to the stars, drawing arcane energy from the cosmos itself. Needless to say a pact when made is most unhappily broken. A price was promised, and that price is as yet, unpaid. Something in the Darkness is most unhappy. Needless to say also, her family has not given up on ending their run of bad luck. And there is only one way that is going to happen...

The Elf Ranger became an Ranger/Shaman hybrid; Her beast companion bravely died in combat and she mourned throughout the night with his dead body. Something inside her broke as she lost her last connection to her homeland and clan from which she was exiled. She was leading a hunting party of young tribesmen, the hunt being their rite of passage into adulthood. Her two younger brothers were amongst them. The hunt met a tragic end at the hands of two vile demons that had been unleashed in the region. She never had the courage to return to face her father, the headsman of the clan. She prefered they think her dead to, and so she left. Her close connection to her companion took her for a journey through the spirit world where she communed with souls of her dead brothers. Her beast companion's spirit has returned with her (now her spirit companion) and she channels the fury of her dead brothers through her living companions (she is a watcher shaman and gives free ranged basic attacks when someone provoke OAs from her spirit; also one of her at wills gives a free attack to an ally... which flavourwise she describes as a momentary posession by her brothers spirit). So I'm sure at one stage or another we will meet those demons again...

The most important thing is that people are enjoying playing their character. If that requires some change, then change. And if change happens, make the most of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads