• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Giff! I always loved them, and the Umpani from Wizardry.

Alvin glances around the wondrous place, and can't help but let a smile burst across his face. He had only been here a few times, but it never ceases to leave him awestruck. Of course, when he sees the giant hippo man he gawks like a bumpkin, then clomps over to greet the extremely unlucky halfling. His hand thrusts out for a firm shake, of course.

"Good to meet you. I'm Alvin, and I believe we're going to be in your care for this trip? I haven't spent much time on ships, but she looks like quite the beauty! I'll do my best to help keep her safe while we... sail..." This last word is said with a quizzical tone.

"What do we call you? Captain?"

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Bartholomew will politely wait for Alvin to finish greeting the captain, knowing from past experience that his "bumpkin" routine will likely actually make very good impression and have most of his questions answered.

If the captain doesn't volunteer it, Bartholomew will, at hopefully the right inoffensive moment and in a hopefully non - ignorant way, inquire about the length of the journey?

Above game question : I believe, this being the Astral (with its extremely slow /non-existant flow of actual time) , none of the time spent here counts towards the roughly 6 hour deadline - does Bartholomew know that, and if so, is that in fact correct?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Galvich grimaces in discontent. She briefly reaches into her pouch and rubs her amulet that her mother had given her. "Out of all the planes, I dislike the transitive ones the most. It's gotta- it must be something about the voided feeling..." she mutters. She quickly glances around to check if anyone heard her small utterances, takes a breath, and follows Alvin to the galley while remaining as outwardly composed as she can muster.

After Alvin's greetings and Bartholomew's question, Galvich will also inquire about the crew and if there were anybody that was either particularly strong or if they had any knowledge or experience with Carceri. She will also silently cast Detect Magic from her staff. If the duration ends before actually approaching the boat, she will cast it once she boards.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Your Fighter wants to go arrow shopping now?

It's literally nearing midnight, the entire party is standing there with a demi-god and Chosen of Mystra in Blackstaff tower about to open a portal to the Astral plane, in order to stop an existential threat to the Planes occurring in a few hours time.... and your Fighter wants to go downstairs, and off into the night and see if he cant find a shop open that sells arrows?
If we get stuck on another plane and he runs out of ammunition, then he's done for, so, yeah. Either that or just ask some guards for it, but I see that was handled already. I did say what he wanted in the first post of the page, Galvich gave him some more bolts, but he still needed arrows.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Asa eyes the humanoid hippo before thinking to himself, "Sure, why not . . ."

Then waits in front of the group until they're ready to enter the ship while keeping an eye out for any astral monster that might jump out of the void.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
As soon as Alvin is done speaking with the halfling captain, Ellina nods to him cordially.

"You must be Captain Grogbeard? Thanks for helping us out. I'm Ellina Dreek. My big friend here is Asa, and these others are Galvich and Bartholomew."

Though she keeps her demeanour calm, as is her habit, inwardly she's jumping up and down with excitement like a girl. I've heard about these astral ships, but never expected to sail on one! Won't this be a tale....

"Good to meet you. I'm Alvin, and I believe we're going to be in your care for this trip? I haven't spent much time on ships, but she looks like quite the beauty! I'll do my best to help keep her safe while we... sail..." This last word is said with a quizzical tone.

"What do we call you? Captain?"

''Aye; Cap'n or Grogbeard.. or Cap'n Grogbeard; whatever tickles ye fancy landlubber!' (There is an awkward shuffling of hands as you accidentally try and shake his hook hand by mistake).

Pleased to meet ye; and welcome to the greatest ship this side of Krynn; Kyuss Folly. (He glances at the Cadacaus you carry) 'Ye must be the ones I was told about. The ship be ready to sail in a few minutes time.' (At this, he turns and barks orders at one of the Orc crewmen, who fumbled some of the ships rigging, sending one of the sails spinning).

Bartholomew will politely wait for Alvin to finish greeting the captain, knowing from past experience that his "bumpkin" routine will likely actually make very good impression and have most of his questions answered.

If the captain doesn't volunteer it, Bartholomew will, at hopefully the right inoffensive moment and in a hopefully non - ignorant way, inquire about the length of the journey?

'Mr Christian shall get ye sorted and see ye to your rooms (he indicates towards the Hippopotamus creature, that you suspect may be a Giff); I anticipate the voyage to last roughly 2 hours... however there be nasty weather about recently. Astral storms a'plenty. Never mind though' the Folly be up to the task!'

Above game question : I believe, this being the Astral (with its extremely slow /non-existant flow of actual time) , none of the time spent here counts towards the roughly 6 hour deadline - does Bartholomew know that, and if so, is that in fact correct?

I'll need an Arcana check for that one.

After Alvin's greetings and Bartholomew's question, Galvich will also inquire about the crew and if there were anybody that was either particularly strong or if they had any knowledge or experience with Carceri.

'Mr Christian be the strongest member of the crew. It helps keep these ne'er'do'wells in line! (He scowls mirthfully). As to Carceri, never been myself. Never had any reason to. Not a place they be handing out travel brochures for I can assure ye of that!

She will also silently cast Detect Magic from her staff. If the duration ends before actually approaching the boat, she will cast it once she boards.

You sense the presence of magic from Grogbeard. After concentrating , it seems to be from the illusion school. The rapier on his hip also seems to be magical (evocation) as does the ring on a finger of his good hand (abjuration).

Oddly; the ship does not radiate any magic at all.

As soon as Alvin is done speaking with the halfling captain, Ellina nods to him cordially.

"You must be Captain Grogbeard? Thanks for helping us out. I'm Ellina Dreek. My big friend here is Asa, and these others are Galvich and Bartholomew."
His eyes widen, and he straightens himself, slightly puffs out his chest, and then bows.

'I am indeed. Tis nary a problem at all; a trivial voyage compared to the adventures of the 'Folly. They didnt tell ole Grogbeard such a fair damsel would be on this voyage.'

Also, feel free to make me an Insight check.

Asa eyes the humanoid hippo before thinking to himself, "Sure, why not . . ."

Then waits in front of the group until they're ready to enter the ship while keeping an eye out for any astral monster that might jump out of the void.

Grogbeards gaze turns to you, and he eyes the crossbow at your hip.

An archer be ye? We could use a trained marksman; we lost our last one in rather... unfortunate circumstances.

Ensure Mr Christian shows ye the broadsides and how they work.... just in case we encounter any... 'complications' on the journey.

With that he gestures all of you to board, moving next to Elina and eagerly pointing out details on the ship, and recounting tall tales of his past adventures as he does so.

I'll wait for those checks; does anyone want to do anything else at this point?

Mort

Legend
Supporter

I'll need an Arcana check for that one.
15+2 = 17

Asisreo

Patron Badass
You sense the presence of magic from Grogbeard. After concentrating , it seems to be from the illusion school. The rapier on his hip also seems to be magical (evocation) as does the ring on a finger of his good hand (abjuration).
"Oh, Captain Grogbeard, are you perhaps married? I couldn't help but notice the ring on your finger."

Galvich will attempt to have a conversation to inquire information on their magic items without explicitly calling them out as magic herself. If the nature of the convo arrives at her staff, she'll be honest about it to garner trust. She won't do anything about the information immediately but she's more comfortable having information than not.

Whatever the result of the exchange, Galvich speak with Mr. Christian next. "Sir Christian, it is wonderful to meet you. My name is Lady Galvich but you can simply call me Galvich. I hear you're the strongest here but I'm not sure I'm convinced."

She basically wants to size him up for how strong he is and any other info that could form naturally from conversations like what he likes/dislikes and what he knows about Carceri, The Mad Titan Krios, or anything else relevant to the mission. For information's sake at this point.

Also, in general, Galvich is honest when in conversation but still has an air of mischief. So if asked why she's asking, she'd reply "I want to know if I could convince you to join." Or "I'd like to have as many cards in my hand as possible." Though she still values any information even if the initial goals are not possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads