D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Eh, I don't think AoO would make much of a difference, it's just a single hit once per round, they can always just take it and keep moving anyway. I guess Sentinel helps, but it's one more feat to grab and it still does little against several enemies.

Crossbow is just really good since it can hit enemies at range and still be effective melee, prob more than actual melee weapons due to the +2 from archery. Might also be better for defending allies since I can attack enemies near them without having to walk all the way into melee range, having to disengage from enemies on me, etc. Also makes you not useless against flying enemies and enemies with frighten, which a melee character is mostly screwed against without flight themselves and very lucky wisdom saves to not be too afraid to walk close to the enemy.

Eh, I don't think AoO would make much of a difference, it's just a single hit once per round, they can always just take it and keep moving anyway. I guess Sentinel helps, but it's one more feat to grab and it still does little against several enemies.

Crossbow is just really good since it can hit enemies at range and still be effective melee, prob more than actual melee weapons due to the +2 from archery. Might also be better for defending allies since I can attack enemies near them without having to walk all the way into melee range, having to disengage from enemies on me, etc. Also makes you not useless against flying enemies and enemies with frighten, which a melee character is mostly screwed against without flight themselves and very lucky wisdom saves to not be too afraid to walk close to the enemy.

I'm just saying from a teamwork perspective.

If you're hanging back with the casters, its a lot easier to get to the casters.

In effect, instead of a defender, you become a striker.

The other guys have a thread at the moment where they're trying to make sure they have all bases covered. I'll get them to tag you in.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'm just saying from a teamwork perspective.

If you're hanging back with the casters, its a lot easier to get to the casters.

In effect, instead of a defender, you become a striker.

The other guys have a thread at the moment where they're trying to make sure they have all bases covered. I'll get them to tag you in.
done

ECMO3

Hero
Hey guys!

Recently @Stalker0 and I ran a little PBP 5E adventure at 7th level to test out the theory that 'Casters are ZOMG broken and dominate all three pillars of the game in ways that martials can not' and settle the debate that Casters are wildly out of whack with Martials.

The test proved pretty resoundingly that at 7th level, this certainly is not the case.

I'm proposing a new little experiment. Lets see if that also holds true at 15th level, so we can put this debate firmly to bed.

For my last adventure, I basically controlled the other 4 PCs (@Stalker0 controlled the Wizard), but this time I'm leaving it open for a total of 5 players/ posters to join in. Each interested party will control a single 15th level PC, and we can conduct the adventure on here, in a kind of PBP scenario, similar to the last thread.

Looking for expressions of interest for 5 players to test it out.

Main relevant variant rules are: Point Buy, Feats, Encumbrance and every option in Tashas. Every official book is on the table. Campaign world is Faerun (SCAG etc is also fine). No UA.

In addition, we will be using the Shorter rest variant for Short rests from the DMG, but with a 'hard cap' of being only able to benefit from 2 until you have also benefitted from a long rest, when that limit resets to zero. This is more for my own sanity - I find 1 hour breaks in the narrative immersion breaking.

PCs will be 15th level, Faerun themed (no need for an intensive backstory more than a line or two to help me with PC hooks etc), Point buy, with access to all Feats and Tashas options. Primarily a good aligned/ heroic party is preferable.

In addition, as mighty heroes of the realm, all PCs will have: Either 1 Legendary or 2 Rare or Very rare magic items, and 2 Common or Uncommon magic items. Consumable items (scrolls/ potions) can be exchanged on a 1 for 2 basis.

PCs and Magic items will be vetted by myself as DM, to ensure a good mix of 5 different PC of varying skills and abilities (Martials and Casters). If I see the same old magic items, I reserve the right to exchange it for something else, at my sole discretion (magic items are the DMs prerogative after all).

Who's interested?
What is the definition of a martial? Rangers, Paladins, Arcane tricksters? Which group do they fall in?

What about multiclass?

The Mad Titan (Scene 1)

Waterdeep. City of Splendors.

A sprawling metropolis on the northern reaches of the Sword Coast, it’s where your party currently find themselves following your last successful adventure, defeating a vile plot by the Drow of Menzoberranzan to break the wards of Undermountain, and unleash the famed dungeons inhabitants onto the unsuspecting populace of the city; a precursor to an invasion thwarted only by your heroics and daring.

Today, the Open Lord Laeral Siverhand has decreed a public holiday in recognition of your service to the city, and as guests of honor, you have all been invited to Castle Waterdeep to rub shoulders with the movers and shakers of the city, and the Open Lord herself!

A grand feast is laid out, and Nobles and Lords alike clamor to meet the Heroes of Waterdeep. Bartholomew revels in the attention like a Rockstar; his honeyed words bewitching the courtiers and nobles alike, with scores of noblewomen (and a few noblemen) exchanging glances in his direction.

Asa stands apart from the celebration; he and his halfling friend Ellina both obviously itching to be done with the feast, and back out there adventuring. Courtiers and high society are no place for the man known as the 'Quickest draw in the North', and his trusty Halfling sidekick –one of the most renowned burglars in all of Faerun.

Alvins attentions are taken up by the current ruling body of the Church of Lathander. The position of head priest has been open ever since the return of the Deity and the schism between himself and Aumaunator splitting the church in two. The newly formed Church have an opening and desperately desire Alvin to put his name up for election to the high priest position so that Lathander can once again be worshipped in his own name.

Midway through the ceremony you all watch on as Galvich is presented with the Dragonstaff of Ahgharion, a potent magical staff that is said to be able to control the Dragonward that protects the city from incursion by draconic creatures. Only a Dragon touched by the staff can safely enter the famed city. A knowing smile plays over the Sorcerers face as she accepts this great honor, her mind clearly elsewhere…

(@Asisreo - that’s your magical staff, powers unchanged but it allows draconic creatures touched by it entry to the city past Agharions Dragonward, a spell powered by a mythal!)

Notably - Laeral herself seems distant throughout the ceremony. As the evening winds down, you are all brought to her private audience for a meeting alone with her.

Following her into her chambers, you notice the strangest thing… awaiting there, wearing different garb, but looking identical to the woman you just followed into the room, is another Laeral!

The second woman speaks:

‘I’m sorry to ruin the party, but I have just received news of the most utmost urgency from a rather... unusual guest. I had no option other than to investigate the claims personally, and it seems as if they are true. We are all in great danger; a threat not seen since the Sundering!

Seeing your confused faces, she continues:

Ah yes; I apologize for the ruse... I hope my Simulacrum wasn’t too boring during the party!'

The two Laerals smile at each other and the real Laeral turns you again.

‘Now, if you don’t mind; time is of the essence. Please, follow me.’

The runes of a teleportation sigil flare into life on the floor in front of you, and she indicates towards the circle, her gaze one of utmost seriousness.
--------

What do you do?

Also, at this stage, feel free to describe your PCs to the other players, and add on any actions you want to perform at the party before meeting Laeral (the real one!).

Last edited:

Remove ads