Samurai Champloo--any good?

driver8

First Post
Yeah that was nice..very stylish. I had wondered how the hip hop elements were going to fit in and it was done very nicley thank you. I like how its faithful enough to the setting yet still anachronistic enough to be fun without destroying the samurai buzz.

I really like the charcater styles, reminds me a little of Chungs Aeon Flux. And Im hoping it will be more like Cowboy Bebop and less like Innuyasa or Trigun in regards to the melodrama/angst factor.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Believe me as someone that has watched the Fan subs, AND read the manga for Inuyasha, there isn't even CLOSE to the melodrama of Inuyasha. Not to mention there are 0fillers in this show. There will be plenty of Beboping in this show, just not in obvious ways.

*didn't quite feel the style was the same to Aeon Flux...but then Aeon Flux confused the hell out of me.* I honestly felt the designs and characters were more akin to maybe Samurai Jack or even X-men Evolution. Why? Because while the rest of stuff around them WAS dated, Fuu, Jin and Mugen are more outside of their own times and inside ours. Well almost.

Crusader X,

It gets even better after episode 6 if you can believe that. Hell the last three eps were great but I felt the ending for 26 (series finale) rocked mightly.

Nightfall

Next time I'll clarify by using SpikeTV instead of Spike.

Blum is one of the more prolific VAs around. I think few can top him when it comes the number of animes he's worked on.

ANN.com has a list.

CrusaderX

First Post
I liked this show so much on the first viewing, that I taped the 2:30 AM airing and just watched it again. :)

I really like the 3 main characters, and likeable characters are probably the most important thing to me. Which is why I like Bebop so much.

The animation style and fight scenes are terrific. Nice and brutal and realistic, thankfully without any superpowered Ruroni Kenshin-like moves.

Thankfully, Champloo had no weird exaggerated facial expressions or annoying screaming like Kenshin occasionally has. Which is also why One Piece didn't work for me.

The musical hiphop transitions from scene to scene were cool, rather than being hokey.

The voice dubs were ok. Not nearly as good as Bebop though. But I bet the subs take this show to a whole 'nother level.

All in all, I thought Champloo is actually a nice cross between Bebop and Ninja Scroll, my two favorites, and the best Adult Swim show since Bebop. I'm really impressed.

Nightfall

Sadly due to being at a friend's place who didn't have cable (He does for his cable modem but not for cable watching. :p), and playing DDM Skirmish for about...8 hours straight, I missed the FIRST showing. But I did catch the 2:30 one so it wasn't a total bust.

(Even though before this, I watch Samurai Champloo DVD #1 like 5-10 times. I nearly burnt a hole in my DVD player. :p :) )

Anyway, the mention of Ninja Scroll makes me think of a recent anime that's come out. While SC is one of those rare animes that ISN'T based on a manga (there is a manga adaptation that doesn't follow the show. Tokyopop will be releasing this manga, which I believe Mangaglobe started, some time in October.), there is one you might want to check out in the same vein as Ninja Scroll. Basilisk is about the end of the Togogaug(sp) period as two warring ninja clans help to decide the fate of Japan. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4318 This has all the relevant details.

I hope AS considers picking this up too.

Basilik was originally done as a manga I believe or at least based on a book.

Back to SC,

Weird anime expressions...well there are a FEW but nothing as bad as say Teen Titans' or some other show. The subs are awesome in terms of the Japanese VAs for Mugen, Jin and Fuu are in some ways better. (Jin's English VA took me a while to get used to since he's not as "refined" as Japanese VA.) But really you're not missing THAT much from what I've watched of the Fan Subs versus Geneon's dubbing in the DVDs.

Villano

First Post
CrusaderX said:
IThankfully, Champloo had no weird exaggerated facial expressions or annoying screaming like Kenshin occasionally has. Which is also why One Piece didn't work for me.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of "serious anime/goofy expressions" either. That's one of the things that bugged me about Rurouni Kenshin (sp?). I don't think that applies so much to One Piece since its a comedy (and I actually really like that show, too). :)

Samurai Champloo did remind me of Ninja Scroll. The samurai with glasses reminded me of the blind "demon" in Scroll.

Remove ads