D&D 3E/3.5 Savage Species and 3.5 aren't totally compatible.

Scion

First Post
marshaldwm said:
#1 broken template is the Feral template.

+1 LA for

+6 Natural armor
Claw attacks(better than half-dragon)
Darkvision
Fast Healing
With more levels, rend, rake, pounce, improved Grab.
Balanced ability scores, boost str, -4 Int.
d10 hit points.

Man, I want to try out a Feral Sorceror, or Bard( the munchkin in me can actually see some vague justification)

A Bard with a chain shirt would start out at 20 ac at level one, even without dex. Two claw attacks for 1d8 plus strength per round, healing 2 hit points per round. Nigh unstoppable. Sure, hs skills are a bit weak, but at least charisma does not take a hit, and with 6 skills per level, I can survive.

Now by all the balance rules I see in SS, this should at least be a +3. maybe +4(though I think even +2 is not so bad)

SS, and mny monster characters need to be looked over very carefully.

DWM

This is all well and good, except that you forgot a few things ;)

Firstly, feral only modifies the base creature, so those d10's are only for the base creatures hitdice.

Secondly, in order to have fast healing you have to have at least one monstrous hd to begin with, same for dark vision.

So for this sorcerer or bard to have what you say he would have to have at least one monstrous hd from some creature, and have a level adjustment of +1 on top of that, minimum. I dont think this is horribly broken for a 3rd level character who only just got his first level of his spell casting class (with only d4 for his hd as well). Maybe a little overpowered in some campaigns, and underpowered in others. Hard to say, but personally I think it looks like a very interesting option if it fits the campaign.

Hope that helps ;)

marshaldwm

First Post
Scion said:
This is all well and good, except that you forgot a few things ;)

Firstly, feral only modifies the base creature, so those d10's are only for the base creatures hitdice.

Secondly, in order to have fast healing you have to have at least one monstrous hd to begin with, same for dark vision.

Where does this all come from? Can you provide a page number? I have looked through SS in some detail and I have seen nothing like this.

Not saying you're wrong, but I need to see some backup.

ThirdWizard

First Post
marshaldwm said:
Where does this all come from? Can you provide a page number? I have looked through SS in some detail and I have seen nothing like this.

Not saying you're wrong, but I need to see some backup.
Okay I don't have my books with me and this is totally from memory, but I believe there is a chart of some templates that says whether they apply to total hit dice or monsterous hit dice somewhere in there, and around there it implies that certain templates are only based off monsterous hit dice.

I might be off base with that; I havn't read Savage Species in months, right now my friend has it because he's playing a minotaur monk.

Scion

First Post
I just reread it, and I can see how it could be taken either way really. I just choose to interpret 'base creature' as being one without levels. That seems to make the template come way down in power and probably back into line with what you are looking for. If it scaled with level then it'd probably be a +2 level adjustment.

The first part of the template says 'base creature is adjusted as follows', the special attacks say monster hd (so that is unambiguous at least), so I guess only special qualities are based on total hd.

So if you leave the d10's only for base creature, keep the special attacks to monster hd, and only darkvision and fast healing are based on total HD then it isnt too bad at +1 level adjustment ;) Right? ::looks around::

Remove ads