D&D 3E/3.5 Savage Tide and Age of Worms - worth the hype?

hedgeknight

Explorer
There are two legal ways to go about it. One is to own the mags (Dungeon & Dragon), remove the pages for the adventures, and bind them in a single volume. That's what I did. The other way is to own the pdfs, print off what you need for the adventure, and bind those in a single volume or in a notebook. The process is time-consuming, but worth it.

The paizo forums were very helpful when I ran Shackled City. You can certainly see if anyone there can be helpful.

You can also buy the pdfs and take them to your local library to print. Support your library and save your own ink! It's what I've been doing lately. :)

I am running Shackled City for the second time right now and I love it. Age of worms is up in my docket (lucked out and most of the Dungeon Magazines were at my local half priced books).

Do they have some problems? Sure. Organization wasn’t to pathfinder standards yet and it CAN be railroads if you run it exactly as is, but Age of Worms especially opens up opportunities for spin off adventures outside of the main story (Rod of Seven Parts, anyone?) and savage tides can be enhanced with some classic Isle of Dread (or Dark of Hot Springs Island!) material.

Personally, I think these adventures are amazing.

I think though, that if you tell your group that you're interested in a published adventure path and they agree to play, that there is a tacit agreement that there will be some rails and that the group is ok with them.

I liked running Shackled City Adventure Path, but our campaign derailed for non-game reasons in 2019. I was kind of OK with that, because after Zenith Trajectory, it becomes hit-and-miss. And honestly, the reason my players loved Flood Season and Zenith Trajectory so much were partially things I added on to what was published.

For Flood Season, fanmade content for the Demonskar Ball was top notch and none of us had seen before.

For Zenith Trajectory, I wrote my own Underdark scenarios, with the rise of Wolfgang Baur’s Kingdom of the Ghouls being the animating reason for encounters with fleeing Underdark creatures, and my players were torn, in OOC conversation, on whether to continue with SCAP or go Kingdom of the Ghouls.

I liked running Shackled City Adventure Path, but our campaign derailed for non-game reasons in 2019. I was kind of OK with that, because after Zenith Trajectory, it becomes hit-and-miss. And honestly, the reason my players loved Flood Season and Zenith Trajectory so much were partially things I added on to what was published.

For Flood Season, fanmade content for the Demonskar Ball was top notch and none of us had seen before.

For Zenith Trajectory, I wrote my own Underdark scenarios, with the rise of Wolfgang Baur’s Kingdom of the Ghouls being the animating reason for encounters with fleeing Underdark creatures, and my players were torn, in OOC conversation, on whether to continue with SCAP or go Kingdom of the Ghouls.
I was a big fan of the fan generated Battle for Redgorge. I plan on using Kingdoms and Warfare to maybe to some of that action. Also I love love loved nabthatoron, but I telegraphed his presence long in advance. I need to look at kingdom of ghouls

I was a big fan of the fan generated Battle for Redgorge. I plan on using Kingdoms and Warfare to maybe to some of that action. Also I love love loved nabthatoron, but I telegraphed his presence long in advance. I need to look at kingdom of ghouls
I wound up making Nabthatoron the big bad in the end and scrapped Dyr'ryd for him. :)

Remove ads