Savage Worlds and Deadlands…

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I bought the original Deadlands back in the ’90s, read it, liked a lot of it…and found other bits were wildly problematic. I never got to play it at the time and recently (last few years), Pinnacle has updated the setting to remove many (most...all?) of the problematic elements. So I want to give the Deadlands setting a look.

I know a bit of the history of Savage Worlds, how it came from a Deadlands wargame, and I have a copy of the Explorer's Edition on my shelf...but that was at least one edition ago...and I’ve never actually played Savage Worlds. So I want to give Savage Worlds a look.

Fans of Savage Worlds and Deadlands...help me out. Sing the praises of either (or both) to let me know how awesome they both are.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Deadlands
I've only run a tiny bit of original; char gen was a bit problematic, and the wife wasn't interested while all the other potentials were, and that was the only night she had to game. So, a few one-shots with our roommate. No one else in that group had patience once they saw character gen.

Savage Worlds
I've watched my friend JS run it; I've read 3 editions, but not run nor played. At least the way JS was running it, it was pretty slow, to be honest, and the random factor was right on par with FFG's Genesys engine (incl. Star Wars).... skill performance isn't reliable. For me, that's not a dealbreaker, but it is a factor.

Character gen is multiple pools. The Att/Skill linkage is weak in play.

I don't dislike it, but just haven't had the opportunity to run it for a group that would appreciate the settings I want that are out for it: Pirates of the Spanish Main, Deadlands, Flash Gordon... The Robotech supplement seems really hurredly done, and some of my players don't even know what Robotech is...

I’ve run quite a bit of SW both Deluxe and the current SWADE. I’ve run it across multiple genres for one shots and campaigns.

I like it. Base skill difficulty is a 4. Players roll two dice and read them separately for nearly every roll that isn’t damage or effect based. Dice explode. It’s very swingy. If that’s your jam you’ll love it. There are lots of combat options. Non-combat characters are still useful in a fight. It has decent tools for quick encounters, chases, dramatic tasks (read skill challenges) baked in.

The setting rules system means every games can have a different set of baked in assumptions based on the setting rules in play.

Very active community and they are generally very positive about the game. Lots of settings and games available. Shines for action games. I ran a pulp Masks of Nyarlathotep with it for a while. Handled it wonderfully.

Players have to grasp early that Edges, not skills, are the primary differentiator between characters.

Ranger combat has a few issues. It’s important to add modifiers every time someone shoots. The base target number to hit is a 4 and it just to east unless you have lighting and cover in play.

For me it’s faster than PF1/PF2 and still tactical enough to scratch my itch for a tactical game. Its more interesting mechanically than 5e.

You get to use all your dice (and except the d20).

More….Very good VTT support if needed across all three major platforms with official products. Because it uses dice, bennies, and cards at the table the game has a very tactile experience that I can’t quantify but find I missed when I come back to run it again.

Deadlands is very good. The new edition has plenty of Deadlands product released for it and it’s trivial to use previous edition material if needed.

You can find a supplement or setting for almost any genre you’d like and the best of the party creations are as good as the official stuff.

I may have more later

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Fans of Savage Worlds and Deadlands...help me out. Sing the praises of either (or both) to let me know how awesome they both are.
2023 is the year I'll be exploring SWADE and I can't be more excited. I started with Deadlands back in the day and backed the kickstarter for the new version, mainly out of nostalgia. I had played prior editions (Explorer, Deluxe) but with SWADE, I'll actually be GMing it.

I find SWADE to be a mix of traditional and modern design that personally hits a sweet spot of what I like in a game. The mechanics are simple and streamlined (especially when seen in light of its original Deadlands roots). @thullgrim 's description should show how easy the "core mechanic" is. Yet there's enough Situation and Setting Rules to satisfy those who like a bit of crunch (like me).

I especially like the Setting Rules, suggested mechanics that you can choose to use in your particular campaign and they're well thought out. Better yet, new Settings tend to include additional Setting Rules. And there seems to be a lot of Settings due to an active community. Tbh, SWADE has inspired me to hack some rules, to make my own homebrews unique.

Deadlands - well, that's a classic setting and now, the problematic elements have been excised AFAIK. The focus in the SWADE version is back to the local level and away from the meta plots of the Reloaded version (which I much prefer). I backed the Kickstarter so have the starter kit and one of the adventures (Horror at Headstone Hill), both of which have top notch production values.

Finally, as an added bonus, Fantasy Grounds has an amazing translation of SWADE and many of the Settings. This is what actually attracted me to the ruleset. I assembled a solid group who's also learning SWADE and started a long-term campaign using the Seven Worlds setting (fingers crossed).

SWADE isn't perfect - and works best for pulp/cinematic. But it's a great ruleset to check out.

Last edited:

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I'm really not a big fan of Savage Worlds (I've never found the it to be particularly "fast, furious and fun"). Putting that aside, even if I liked Savage Worlds more than I do I'd still prefer OG Deadlands. Chargen is a mess. A bunch of differently functioning subsystems etc. But man, it feels like a weird west game because of it. Savage Worlds Deadlands just doesn't feel special.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I bought the original Deadlands back in the ’90s, read it, liked a lot of it…and found other bits were wildly problematic. I never got to play it at the time and recently (last few years), Pinnacle has updated the setting to remove many (most...all?) of the problematic elements. So I want to give the Deadlands setting a look.

I ran a Classic Deadlands campaign for something like seven years. Not knowing which bits of the setting in particular you found to be a problem, so I can't speak to them, specifically.

Deadlands
I've only run a tiny bit of original; char gen was a bit problematic...

"Problematic" is a mostly non-specific word, that doesn't say why things are difficult.

The Classic character generation system is a bit baroque, yes. It uses a deck of cards to generate Attributes (which can be swingy and unbalanced) and a point system for skills, and then an advantage/Disadvantage system as well. It is not a system in which, if your character dies, you can stand up another one in five minutes, no.

The Att/Skill linkage is weak in play.

I find that to be an intentional feature, not a bug. Both the Classic and SW variants have a large number of sills for each stat - if there was a strong linkage, it would mean that having a good stat meant you were good at everything under it, and it would be more difficult to be good at only one skill in the group, but not the others.

MGibster

Legend
Deadlands was one of my favorite games from the 1990s. The only problematic aspect of the original setting, that I can recall, was the Confederate States of America still existing in 1876 where they abolished slavery voluntarily. While I believe this setting decision was made to ensure the game was fun and provide a cold war Spy vs. Spy atmosphere, that state of affair certainly plays into the hands of the Lost Cause narrative and I understand why people found it off putting. My biggest problem was that I could accept undead gunslingers, poker wizards, and mad scientist, but could not suspect my disbelief enough to accept a Civil War where the South essentiall won. But the new version of Deadlands did away with the CSA with its defeat in 1871 instead of 1865.

SWADE rules are relatively easy, works well for most pulp/action oriented games, and the PCs start out fairly competent right out of the gate. I might run a Pulp Cthulhu game soon, and we're going to use SWADE instead of the PULP Cthulhu rules. As a GM, it's trivially easy for me to come up with NPCs and monsters, keep track of them during combat, and adapt the game a wide variety of settings (though I don't use it for every game).

One of my biggest criticisms of the game is how swingy the dice are. As a GM, I've done 30+ points of damage to PCs rolling only 2d6. (The dice explode in SWADE. If you roll a 6 on a d6, you roll again and keep adding it to the total so long as you keep rolling sixes.) There are some other gripes, like having to calculate the number of wounds a character or important NPC takes based on the damage done, but overall it's easily managable.

I played the original Deadlands in the 1990s of course, and I prefer using the Savage Worlds rules. While the original rules were full of that great sasparilla flavor we all love, "baroque" is a good way to describe the system. One of the best things about the game is that a posse of characters can be made up of anyone. You could have a mad scientist, a rabbi, a martial artist, a cowboy, a gunslinger, and a Swedish chef named Cookie all in the same group and it works just fine.

I bought SWADE a week and a half ago; still waiting on my copy. Wanted to try something classless and with a significant tactile component that wasn't dependent upon miniatures (TToM person here). I also pre-ordered the Fantasy Companion, and, from a cursory read (I do not retain as much information from digital documents as I do physical books), it appears that I can easily map D&D, Palladium Fantasy, numerous fantasy works, and other types of games or cartoons (Thundarr, for example) to the system without having to houserule things.

I'm pretty excited about it, so will follow this thread with interest.

If mapping D&D is your aim I strongly recommend Savage Pathfinder. It utilizes class edges to duplicate the core themes from Pathfinder/3.x D&D. Also the Savage Pathfinder Bestiary I would consider must have for that situation.

If your looking for TMNT style stuff Big Apple Sewer Samurai has you taken care of. For a Thunder game you might look at the SWADE Mutations Deck.

Remove ads