Savage Worlds is 20 years old!

darjr

I crit!
Wow! Savage Worlds is 20 years old.

My first real encounter with it was the revised edition. I ran a modified version for a Gamma World campaign secretly stuck in a Traveller setting. I haven’t touched it in a long time but seeing it in glory at Gen Con made me curious. How is it now a days? Are you playing it? Should I?

IMG_8289.jpeg

Retreater

Legend
Getting ready to start a game of Holler for my neighborhood teenagers who are very drawn to the setting. (We're in Kentucky after all.) I hope they like it.

Carnun

Explorer
Oof! I feel old. I remember playing that very edition slapped on the table. Our GM was apparently a friend of Shane Lacey Hensley and wrote for him. I've played loads of Savage Worlds, though player-facing games have spoiled me nowadays.

Jahydin

Hero
How is it now a days? Are you playing it? Should I?
Absolutely.

IMO, if there is a game that deserves to be on the shelf next to everyone's D&D books its Savage Worlds (SW). Easy to learn, unique mechanics, mid-crunch, incredibly modular, and little overlap with the stories most other major franchises aim to tell.

Which is important to touch on. SW works best with fast, swingy, and chaotic adventures. Think Starship Troopers or Game of Thrones. Adventurers begin competent and ready to go, and do get to advance (mostly laterally), but are always a die roll away from a bad time. This makes it great for one-shots and improv games. Long campaign style games are certainly doable, but GM will have to decide how PC death will be handled and let the players know. Thankfully, just rotating in brand new characters isn't an issue, so that's what I do.

I have run quite a few settings with it over the years, but my favorite was Tyrnador, by GRAmel. One of the best "OSR like" sandboxes on the market IMO and really shows off what SW is capable of.

Okay, enough cheerleading, there is ONE major problem I can think of, and that's combat swinging wildly in the non-deadly direction. Either between terrible dice rolls or just facing off against a creature with high stats, the "all or nothing" mechanic sometimes can be a slog. Recommend house ruling an escalation mechanic of some sort (13th Age-ish) to keep things tense!

Remove ads