• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Savage Worlds] New GM to SW and Sundered Skies...

A

amerigoV

That... is exactly what I want. No matter the genre, that type of chain of events is much more interesting to me than "several big guys, beat them down."

Thanks!

I'll give one other warning - beware of directly converting modules. I'll use one of my favorites as an example - Return to the Temple of Elemental Eeeeeevil. Its a level 4-14 super module. The problem (keep in mind I really like this module) is that levels 6-10 are pretty much filler (the Crater Ridge Mines portion). Why? Well, you needed 13.333 encounters to get a level. So to go from fighting a baby dragon at the Moathouse to fighting some sup'd up Aboleth at the end, you needed to kill lots of stuff (well, about 133 encounters worth :)). Plus 3e (but probably not 4e due to minions) really narrowed the number of opponents. A lot of Goblins really did not count for XP once you got high enough level. So you replace it with 8 orcs, then 8 ogres, then 8 giants, etc. The BBEG with a horde of Extras works much better in SW.

So step back, look at the story the module is trying to tell. Covert a few of the key BBEGs, add tons of Extras, and use the Social/Chase/Interlude/Dramatic tasks to taste. Thats your winning formula for module conversion.

Is_907

First Post
Thanks! I think I've XP'd everyone who has contributed... this is a really useful thread so far. Cheers!

I just chatted with the other guy in our little group... he's the one who's been DM'ing PF for the last few months. We are both really excited about SW and on Saturday will run some test battles, chases, and social encounters to make sure we grasp the rules fully.
We have another group of more seasoned gamers that we may introduce SW to a few months down the road (just started Flashing Blades in that group but I'm thinking later in the year.)

We also talked a lot about our issues with Sundered Skies. I'm going to be using a lot of the ideas, ships, and one sheets from the book... but we're heavily modifying the world to fit our own bend on skyship-heavy worlds. More of a steam/magic-punk hybrid.

Greg K

Legend
So I've heard from a few people who have only passing experience with SW rules that (paraphrase) "it just doesn't do fantasy games as well" and "SW is an excellent choice for non-fantasy worlds.".

It works great for fantasy. I will run it before any edition of D&D or any other fantasy game.

The problem is that, when it comes to fantasy gaming, many (and, almost assuredly, most) people only have experience with D&D (or D&D might be the only game that they know. They will be drawing comparisons without understanding the Savage Worlds system.

For example, most people don't realize that a d6 is actually being good in that area. A d6 or d8 is the skill level requirement to gain edges that give a +2 bonus. When TN 4 is, normally, what you are going to face outside of combat, a d6 means that you will only fail if you, simultaneously, roll 1's on you skil die and the wild die as you take the highest of the two. If you roll a six on either die, you, automatically, have your raise (and, for most things, you don't an extra bonuses for more than 1 raise).

Another example is lethality. Most people just coming in do not realize that you are supposed to adjust lethality for your setting (Thankfully, they added dials in Deluxe. Before that, you could go to the Moscow Connection to get the Gritty mods or some third parties for less lethal).

And, then, there is the versatility that Called Shots, Tricks and Test of Wills bring that are not apparent at first glance.

This is not to say that people might not have valid dislikes for mechanical style differences, power level differences, the use of trappings rather than 100's of ready made spells and powers, etc. It is just that not starting with fantasy allows players to learn the system and what it can do. Hence the advice, "Don't start with fantasy if you are coming from D&D".

AngryMojo

First Post
As far as Savage Worlds not running fantasy well, I believe it's more of a tone issue than genre issue. I've found that Savage Worlds runs it's best when approached with a cinematic angle of play. D&D has a very specific tone, and most people consider that to be standard fantasy in my experience. I'm currently running a SW Fantasy game for a group of new players and it's going exceptionally well, as well as a multi-generational fantasy campaign involving the creation of a new society.

I think the Temple of Elemental Evil example that Amerigo mentioned is very apropos, in a movie you don't have a string of random encounters there for the express purpose of providing a challenge the the PC's. Instead you have fights that serve the story or heighten tension, the actual challenges are usually limited in number.

I am always happy to see more people jumping into the Savage Worlds pool. The game isn't' for everybody, but you'll find the fan community is very friendly and supportive.

Is_907

First Post
Thanks, AngryMojo! I think that sums up my feeling about SW ruleset in general--cinematic.

I read in SW: Deluxe last night about "Dramatic Events" (p. 84, iirc... right after Chase rules.) I must say, that was a great, simple, and concise explanation of an easy to run mechanic to support dramatic tension. Way easier and more life-like than Skill Challenges felt in 4e (which were too forced, IMO.)
I was actually trying to think "How can I use Chase rules for non-Chase events?" then turned the page and saw that they already have a watered-down Chase mechanic (=

Last edited:

Is_907

First Post
I would, but I'm leaving right now to run the weekly Pathfinder game.

Jealous. Would kill for a weekly game. I have one monthly and one semi-regular (sometimes monthly and sometimes twice a month and sometimes not for two months.)

If you're playing weekly... 3 weeks of PF, 1 week of SW. ;D

Is_907

First Post
So, one of my players and I got together today while the wives were out doing their thing and we ran The Wild Hunt as a kind of open-table playtest.

We loved every minute of it! I hadn't read more than the first paragraph of Wild Hunt, so I had to read ahead some, and actually gave away a ton of the story by reading some of the background aloud. Thankfully we're both experienced players so we didn't meta too much.
We each chose one of the pregen characters and went at it.

It was... so much fun. I now have some great ideas for a modern day Fringe/Buffy/Dresden/X-Files type world that I want to run a game in. Dark and creepy, a little magic that only the initiated know about, and lots of occult and otherworldly happenings to investigate.

Anyway, I think for now we are going to play not Sundered Skies but a steampunk/skyship world of my own creation, using some stuff cannibalized from Sundered Skies and some from Pirates of the Spanish Main.

One of the MAJOR advantages of the Savage Worlds design seems to be that adventures are slimmed down and streamlined--encouraging GMs to flavour them at will. Wild Hunt even flat out said to let player's RP a situation to get a specified advantage and "the more creative solution the better."
THAT is what I have found lacking in prewritten adventure modules for so so long.

I am on fire... haven't been this excited about an upcoming game in who knows how long.

Remove ads