• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Worlds

BluSponge

Explorer
Karl Green said:
As for advancement I admit I have not run the game, it just seems like there is not much room for growth. It just seems to support short term games... which is ok

I would agree with you only insofar as when it comes to creating DnD-style wizards. One of my players has complained about this to know end, that by the time he reaches legendary rank, he would still have a fairly limited spell selection (having spent other level-ups on Power Point bumps, Attribute bumps, and the like). Of course, this ignores the point that SW has fewer spells which cover a broader range of capabilities, but that's a whole different post. The fact is, from what I'm seeing, is that advancement opportunities are quite broad and characters are growing by leaps and bounds!

I also do not like expoding dice and never have.

Polar opposite here! I love em. They really get players energized and excited. And while they can throw a monkey wrench into your plans, sometimes, they make the game so much more fun to play, IMHO.

I like short skills lists, but I would prefer something different between bows, throwing daggers, and assault rifles.

I see no reason why you couldn't add an extra layer on to the skills system. Certain skills could require a focus. So instead of Shooting, the player has to take Shooting: Bows. The give all other applications a -1 penalty. Balance this by letting players buy extra foci at the cost as buying a skill at less than it's base attribute, at one die type less than the former -- or something like that.

I have thought a lot about re-working the system to keep the basic, mostly by dropping exploding dice... just have not worked it out yet

Dropping exploding dice from the system would be a bad idea, I think. If nothing else, it would require you to reconsider the Toughness of a lot of bigger, tougher creatures, some of whom cannot be hit without an Ace here or there. But really, what does the Ace get you? They've changed combat so that instead of +2 damage per raise, a raise on your attack roll gets you a single +1d6 to your damage roll. You could roll 54 to hit, and you'd still do standard weapon damage +1d6. So that's not a big thing. Magic works the same way. Once you get a raise, there really is no reason to keep on rolling. It just gives something for the GM and players to play off of. I'm sure you have your reasons for not liking the open-ended die rolls, but I think if you play with it, you'll find the footprint isn't that large.

mmadsen

First Post
Von Ether said:
I suggest giving MnM look. With the damage save mechanic, you've even eliminated the randomness of damage dice ... all you've got are the odds on the d20. In many respects, MnM (and the upcoming Blue Rose) is the true d20 game. No other dice need apply.
The Damage Save rules also appear in Unearthed Arcana.
Von Ether said:
Recently, WotC's website did a "Solution by Substitution" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/bs/20041224a) article.
Good article; thanks for the link! (It presents a simple-but-powerful concept that Champions introduced years ago: you can divorce game mechanics from "special effects" to create "new" powers with little or no work.)

Von Ether

Legend
mmadsen said:
The Damage Save rules also appear in Unearthed Arcana.

Good article; thanks for the link! (It presents a simple-but-powerful concept that Champions introduced years ago: you can divorce game mechanics from "special effects" to create "new" powers with little or no work.)
I was of two minds when I read the article.

1.) Hey good lesson from Champions
and
2.) Hey, good lesson from Savage Worlds.

LOL!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads