Save my Warlord

chriton227

Explorer
I've been playing 4e for about a year now, and in that time Cormax, my Resourceful Warlord, has progressed from level 1 to level 9. He is wonderfully effective, dishing out healing, attacks, saves, init bonuses, and damage buffs (the Wizard in the group especially likes the +10 damage on action point attacks). There is only one problem - playing him is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

First, a little background. The party consists of 5 characters: a Half-elf Charisma Paladin (MC Warlock), an Eladrin Dex Rogue, an Eladrin Wizard, a Human Polearm Fighter, and my Human Resourceful Warlord. The party has plenty of forced movement (three other party members have forced movement abilities, two of them at-wills). The group has been pretty stable since the beginning, the campaign is fairly combat heavy, and our tactics tend to work really well. About the only thing we are really short on is ranged damage. Outside combat, the Paladin tends to be the face of the party. Cormax's main role is keeping everyone standing and boosting the party's damage output.

My problem is that playing Cormax is the D&D equivalent to having the dummy hand in Bridge, I'm just there in body, but I give all my actions away to someone else to use. The vast majority of the time, my turn amounts to "if someone is bloodied, use a healing power. Then move into melee with a target and either use Commander's Strike to have the fighter hit it, or use Opening Shove to push the target to the fighter and have him hit it". In every situation, it is better to effectively give up Cormax's standard action to give the fighter a basic attack instead of Cormax attacking, as once you factor in the bonuses Cormax gives the fighter's attack is +4 better and does about 8 points more damage on a hit (meaning that the fighter's basic attacks average more than my encounters, and are only a couple points behind my dailies). Occasionally, if someone is under an obnoxious save-ends effect I use Inspiring War Cry, or if several party members have save-ends conditions I use Stirring Force to give everyone saves. If I don't need to move, I use Knight's Move to give away my move action too. His dailies (attack and utility) are held in reserve for their specific situations.

It's gotten to the point where don't even bother to pay attention during combats, I just play solitaire and when my turn comes up, I look to see what target would be best to have the fighter hit, tell him to attack ("Yul, hit it"), then go back to playing solitaire.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make this character fun to play? Or advice on what to play instead, keeping in mind that there is very little healing in the party other than my warlord?

Attachments

• Cormax _RP_.dnd4e
    207.2 KB · Views: 90

keterys

First Post
1) Get different at-wills. For example, wolf pack tactics. Fun is more important than 2 damage, and they're pretty good too.
2) Roll the attack you give others with Commander's Strike or Opening Shove. They probably won't mind.
3) Use less bloody at-wills. You're 9th level - most combats should end within 5 rounds so you shouldn't have an opportunity to use an at-will more than twice a combat

chriton227

Explorer
1) Get different at-wills. For example, wolf pack tactics. Fun is more important than 2 damage, and they're pretty good too.
2) Roll the attack you give others with Commander's Strike or Opening Shove. They probably won't mind.
3) Use less bloody at-wills. You're 9th level - most combats should end within 5 rounds so you shouldn't have an opportunity to use an at-will more than twice a combat

1) I've got Wolf-pack Tactics as my 3rd at-will (human). I use it maybe once per session, and even then usually no one wants the shift (the other players are very good at getting themselves into the position they want to be in). I had Viper's Strike for several levels and never once had the secondary effect go off. Cormax is nowhere near survivable enough for Brash Assault, and Furious Smash has always struck me as really weak.

2) That might be worth a try

3) Our fights tend to go on for 10 or more rounds, and the GM likes to use high level encounters with lots of enemies with Slow/Daze/Stun/Immobilize effects, damage auras, and high defenses. One encounter last session had a solo plus several allies (bloodkiss beholder, mad wraith, and 7 leveled down putrescent zombies), after taking down the allies it still took us another 5-6 rounds to chew through the solo's 400+ hit points. Of my 3 encounter powers, two are just so I can grant saves when needed and are saved until needed, and one is a token ranged attack (Hammer Formation) that I use as a lead-off while closing into melee when I can. My daily attacks are all very situational; Stand the Fallen is a panic-button mass heal (no one else in the party has an AoE heal), Lead the Attack is saved for big single targets, and Disheartening Flurry was chosen to combo with the wizard's AoE save-ends status effects, so they don't come out very often. Even if I used all of my encounters and dailies, I would still be using at-wills for about half the fight, and since it isn't uncommon for us to go 4-6 encounters in a day, I don't dare blow all my dailies early.

FireLance

Legend
You may be too focused on granting saving throws with your encounter powers. Get the paladin to take up some of the saving throw granting slack by saving his Channel Divinity for divine mettle instead of using it on divine strength, or pick up Saving Inspiration (not sure if you have that already - I'm away from my Builder so I can't check read your file), or swap out knight's move for shake it off.

Then, swap out stirring force for provoke overextension. It's a fun power to use even if you're not a bravura warlord. Hit someone adjacent to and marked by the fighter and he gets to use his Combat Challenge (if he hasn't used it already). Alternatively, hit someone subject to the paladin's divine challenge or divine sanction and he takes extra damage (again, if he hasn't been damaged by it already). The mark reduces the chance that the provoked attack will hit you, and you can further tilt the odds in your favor with magic items such as screaming armor. If the opponent's attack misses, an ally gets a free basic attack against him. Played properly, you can get two or three attacks out of a single power.

Trainz

Explorer
I'm playing a 7th level human warlord. And I love it.

Warlord is a very specific kind of class to play. You sound like you'd have more fun with a striker. You mentioned you guys don't have a lot of ranged attacks, so I would go for an elven ranger archer or a dragonborn sorcerer.

Personally, I LOVE playing my warlord. My abilities make it so that overall we dish out more damage than if I played a striker. My group is also really good for my ego, especially when they dish out a shiatload of damage because of me. I sometimes say in jest "you might have rolled the dice, but this one's MY kill!".

You have to be in an altruistic mood to play a Warlord; it's not for everyone.

Dan'L

First Post
I feel your pain. I'm currently at level 8 with a Dragonborn Resourceful Warlord, and I've been struggling with many of these same issues. So many of the powers end up being situational, and the at-wills lackluster, that I've spent many rounds in combat actually throwing MBAs because it's been my best option. I've Opening Shove & Wolf Pack Tactics, and I've found that A) I've got a better MBA than most the rest of the party and B) like your party, most times nobody wants that free shift & since my Gauntlets of Mighty Striking let me land more damage with a Basic Attack, I just go with that.

Another somewhat irksome thing is that when you feel like you've got no real exciting or useful thing to do with your normal standard action, that Action Point just kind of taunts you with another opportunity to yawn. At least at Paragon tier there will be the opportunity for some other use for an AP, but be aware that most of those for Warlord still do nothing for the Warlord's own action, but merely give things to your allies.

Most of the bright lights of enjoyment I've had with my character come up in times of roleplay, not combat. Find a way to make yourself more vocal out of combat, if you can. Maybe pick fights, because that way when you're in the middle of combat, at least you'll have a stake in it since you caused it?

In the end, I think most of the enjoyment out of this class & build will come from building a strong personality & back story and playing it to the hilt.

-Dan'L

SigmaX0

First Post
I think you've chosen the wrong type of character to play, to be honest. The Taclord in our current party has put his primary stat in Intelligence, sacrificing his own damage almost completely, and wears a look of mischievous glee when ordering my heavy-hitting barbarian to dish out Commander's Strikes almost every turn. Personally, i'm all about Strikers, Leaders just aren't my cup of tea, i'm not selfless enough for that.

Tai

First Post
I think most of the important stuff has already been said here... Basically, leaders are a very particular type of character. You have to consider any damage that is dealt as a result of your buffs to be *your* damage, not theirs. Re: furious smash, I really quite like it. It's particularly good for old-school MM1 tough bad guys with horrible defences, since it's a weapon vs fort attack, and it means your striker can be pretty much guaranteed to hit with his daily...

Walking Dad

First Post
I think this is somehow more a Warlord than a Leader problem. I had fun with my cleric, artificer and shaman, but the Warlord feels dull.

The other have powers that let you feel you did something and give others a bonus, too. But Knight's Move and Commander's Strike not so much. And if the others don't want to move or the enemies don't want to 'flee', a basic attack with gauntlets is more effective than the at-wills...

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know if anything that we say can "save" your Warlord. When I looked at the class, when first deciding what character I was going to play, I found that the Warlord takes a very special mindset (one that I don't have) and a particular sort of co-operative party (that we also don't have).

Unlike other leader types, the Warlord really needs to be played by someone who enjoys the traditional role of party leader, directing the other players for best effect. You have to hold the unit together and be able to take pride in it when tactics pay off with a swift and decisive victory.

In short, you need to be "Hannibal" Smith - "I love it when a plan comes together."

Remove ads