D&D General Saves as Target Numbers

Helpful NPC Thom

Adventurer
Did anyone else like in 4e where instead of being saves Ref, Fort and Will were used like AC as target numbers for attacks and abilities so many spell the caster rolled an attack rather than the target saving? Would anyone like to see this return in the future? I liked it myself, it made more spells and abilities feel like an attack and it was easier design space.
Players rolling all the dice is palatable to me, so yes, but the differentiation between rolling saving throws to defend oneself and having a target number to hit creates a mechanical and cognitive distinction that is likewise pleasing.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I like having both attacks and saves with compatible math and the designers choosing which to use based on what feels best (and not just assuming magic gets saves and martial stuff is always an attack). I like stuff tripping and shoving to be an attack roll and stuff like getting out of the way of a fireball to be a saving throw. It's not a crucial distinction to keep, but if you can make the math compatible I think keeping saving throws around makes sense.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Consider Legendary Resistance with such a system. Would Legendary creatures just get a "Nope" card to play on these attacks? Could they then also apply it to any weapon hit? Or any other effect (shove, grapple, skill contest, etc.)?

Did anyone else like in 4e where instead of being saves Ref, Fort and Will were used like AC as target numbers for attacks and abilities so many spell the caster rolled an attack rather than the target saving? Would anyone like to see this return in the future? I liked it myself, it made more spells and abilities feel like an attack and it was easier design space.
Yes. I especially liked how warlords could assist ("buff") spellcasters, not just other warriors.

Remove ads