• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saying Goodbye to Dungeon/Dragon - Our Thoughts

Mycanid

First Post
A very fond farewell to you both. :)

My favorite of the old dragon mags was the "update" to the 1e monks in the "Best of the..." (#2, I think). That became my standard and really catalysted my love for the monk class, which is my favorite class to this day.

Also special thanks to all those who labored on the "Ecology of..." articles. These were my absolute favorite reads back then!

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm a subscriber. I currently run Age of Worms.

My first D&D product I ever owned back in 1978 was a copy of The Strategic Review. It was cheap, sitting on the hobby store shelf and I desperately wanted to buy something for this game. The Strategic Review was all my 13 year old self could afford...

[rant]

You don't really need to read this part. You know what it would say.

[/rant]

So...my thoughts? I subscribed to Pathfinder. That's the one bright light in all of this. I'm looking forward to Pathfinder and I hope it will continue to bring me that thrill I got when Dungeon appears in my in box every month.

Yes. I'm still pissed about this entire thing, and I'm going to be - for a very long time.

And that's about as respectful as I can be about any of this.

Last edited:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Sadness

After my initial anger over the news, I am now sad.

DRAGON meant a lot to me. I discovered it around issue 160 back when I was stuck on holidays in a shop that no longers exists. I had been playing D&D for years, yet things were stagnating.

DRAGON opened a lot of new ideas to my mind. I jumped through them all, and started collecting the back issues. Got almost all of them now....

A few years later I submitted an article and amazingly enough, I was published. The meagre amount I earned for this was immediately spent and beyond to buy every copy I could for my geek friends... ah.

DUNGEON, DUNGEON ! It hurts even worse. Contrary to the name, it was about more than mere dungeons (which are just crap smelling places anyways). I could write homebrew dungeons. I still can. It was About ADVENTURES !

And lo ! there were plenty. Far more in fact were published than I could possibly run. And that was perfect. I could choose from them, and find locales, NPCs (no ! PEOPLE), Scenarii...
And I could fit it all into my campaign. DUNGEON, was the DM's ally.

A few years ago I was running a home FR campaign. Due to a freak teleport accident, my PCS were separated from Waterdeep, and spent the whole part of two years getting back there. At the start of every session, I started an adventure, they declined it (wanting to return to waterdeep), so I dug another issue and got them another adventure that they had to do to return to Waterdeep.

These were the days. And this is not the only campaign I did on Dungeon. On average 70 % of my adventures over the past 10 years as a DM were from DUNGEON.

For now, I will use the stock of back issues... And for the future I dont know. But it will never be the same.

Farewell old friends.

Mr Vergee

First Post
Thank you Dungeon for having been the heart of my game for many years now - and even if I didn't use the adventures in play, thanks for providing me a good read before turning in for the night.

The Green Adam

First Post
This is exceptionally hard for me. If any member of the Paizo staff is viewing this, please be aware of my deep felt saddness in seeing Dragon go away. I practically grew up on that magazine and to have to say farewell is indeed like bidding goodbye to an old friend.

That said, I haven't purchased it much in the last few years and I was never fond of Dungeon (except for a short while when they included original D20 game concepts). The content was simply not longer of use to me and while the art was exceptional, it seemed Dragon was getting more expensive as it got less useful.

I suppose time takes it's toll on all things.

Goodbye Dragon Magazine. You will be missed.

JDJblatherings

First Post
Over 25 years ago a couple of months after I discovered D&D I discovered Dragon and was amazed. It added so much to my notions of what D&D and wargaming was. Dragon was the voice of D&D.

The_Gneech

Explorer
More than any other lost product in a long history of gaming, I will miss Dragon and Dungeon magazines.

Good-bye, and thank you. :(

-The Gneech

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads