• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saying Goodbye to Dungeon/Dragon - Our Thoughts

LordVyreth

First Post
Dragon got me into D&D. I had just started playing Pool of Radiance (the computer RPG) when I noticed the magazine at the library. Granted, it took me months to even figure out what it was; I initially thought it was a massive computer game like Pool of Radiance, but I was just a kid at the time.

I've been using it more lately. Just a couple months ago, I started a plan to write a page or two summary of every 3rd ed. issue of Dragon that I owned. Now that I'm fairly far into it, I've been able to use spells, monsters (based on another list I made of all the monsters I had available,) and other features from the magazine more often than when I was in "read and forget" mode.

I still remember when I bought my very first issue of Dragon. It was #119 (http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/1987/119) which is still one of the greatest covers of all time. I bought it at Beegie's bookstore, my favourite place in the world (at the time, well second to A Collector's Dream, where I bought my D&D stuff), which closed its doors some years ago when Chapters moved into town.

I must have read that thing a dozen times in a day. I eventually subscribed for several years, stopping only when I stopped playing regularly (life gets in the way sometimes, though I've just started playing again, and have gotten the wife involved, so she shouldn't complain about it anymore).

Too many great memories to put into words. Goodbye Dragon.

Aus_Snow

First Post
119 was my first Dragon. I thought that was frickin' awesome. :cool: Sure, I was quite young at that time, but anyway, you guys have put out a lot of stuff that's stirred interest in lots of gamers and potential gamers.

Thanks for all the work you've put into making D&D even more fun. I haven't been a subscriber at any stage, but occasionally have picked up a mag from a newsagents or wherever. There's always been something cool, quirky, funny, usable, or a good thing regardless.

I still have maps of yours kept safe from harm, ready to use at any time. They keep company with some other damn nice maps, all treasured.

From time to time, I take out a Dragon mag and generally either reminisce, or think of some way I might be able to use a bit of it in a present or future campaign.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. :eek:

All the best with your current projects, and those ahead. May they prove to be well-loved, as Dragon and Dungeon surely are.

gizmo33

First Post
Pre-1990 Dragon and Paizo-era Dungeon magazine (Maure Castle, Age of Worms) are at the top of my list of all-time favorite gaming stuff and memories. The new character class articles (cavalier, barbarian, thief-acrobat) and the new monsters (Creature Catalogue), Ed Greenwood's Nine Hells articles, Gygax's Sorcerer's Scroll, and such from Dragon were like real-life magic items.

Goodbye Dungeon and Dragon. :)

Remove ads