Scalable "Sleep" spells

Al

First Post
Forrester said:

No such thing as a "rogue poster" on this thread -- I asked for critiques, and I'm glad I got them.

Unlike M_J, though, I don't see why a scalable Sleep spell should be verboten.

However, I think that the 5th level version (Super Improved Sleep) might be a little overpowered at d6 per level, and might be better as d4 per level -- especially given the "Auto-sleep" effect. Either that, or lower the HD cap to 8HD, 10HD, and 12HD (instead of 10, 12, and 14).

But I think Green Slime's version (which both lowers the cap and makes it d4/level) is probably a bit too weak.

'Rogue poster' was a bit of a wry joke. No offence intended to anyone.

I don't feel that d6 per level is too bad for Super Imp. Sleep. Realistically, this means an average of 3-4 enemies of equivalent level to yourself. d4 per level would reduce that to 2-3 and probably make it too weak for 5th level.

green slime

First Post
Al said:
They are now too weak, with the exception of Improved Sleep.

<snip>

But wait: doesn't Cloudkill KILL its victims, whilst Sleep just send them to sleep. The power levels don't really compare anymore, and that's without Cloudkill/Forcecage or Cloudkill/Small Room combos. Greater Sleep is at best 4th level in power.

<snip>

Therefore, MOST creatures you are fighting have MORE than 10HD. Hence, this spell is nearly useless. Sleep's cap works because most enemies of characters throwing 1st level spells have 4HD or fewer. Enemies of those throwing 7th level spells tend to have more than 10HD.

Well, I'll admit I just threw those out of the top of my hat while sitting at work and looking at sleep.

But I DO have other comments regarding Al's comparisons...

While sleeping you are Helpless, which means you are in for summary execution, if you are in the middle of a combat. I'd rather my character took 10 hp damage per round than have a 9th level fighter wander up and CDG him. I'm against save or die spells, and I don't see many other spells of that level that cause save or die effects to on average 3-4 characters of your level.

The idea isn't to insta-kill/take care of the majority of opponents one has, but as a spell to HUMANELY take care of large hordes of low level adversaries, that, for one reason or another, shouldn't be mercilessly slaughtered.

Suggestion has the qualifier (and therefore even Mass Suggestion) that:
"The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable."

Going to sleep while engaged in combat or faced with a potentially hostile situation seems rather UNreasonable to me.

SO onward to potential fixes:

Raise the Greater Sleep's No-save to 4HD or less.

Perhaps adding a slow effect to those of higher level in the area of effect?

JDRay

First Post
For what it's worth, I appreciate these pumped-up sleep spells. I'm developing some campaign material based around the idea that you don't need to kill everything you come across. Experience, AFAIK according to the DMG, is awarded as much for surviving an encounter as destroying your enemy.

This is particularly a problem when you get into encounter situations where you have warring nations. If your alignment is Good, and so is that of your opponent, then it would seem that the better path would be to disable and capture your opponents than slaughter them.

Another area of interest is when a character is Neutral. There may be no overarching drive to vanquish evil. Who cares? Just put them to sleep, take their money, and leave. Keep an eye on them, because eventually, they'll have more money. A farmer doesn't kill his sheep for their wool, you know...

Al

First Post
green slime said:

Well, I'll admit I just threw those out of the top of my hat while sitting at work and looking at sleep.

But I DO have other comments regarding Al's comparisons...

While sleeping you are Helpless, which means you are in for summary execution, if you are in the middle of a combat. I'd rather my character took 10 hp damage per round than have a 9th level fighter wander up and CDG him. I'm against save or die spells, and I don't see many other spells of that level that cause save or die effects to on average 3-4 characters of your level.

The idea isn't to insta-kill/take care of the majority of opponents one has, but as a spell to HUMANELY take care of large hordes of low level adversaries, that, for one reason or another, shouldn't be mercilessly slaughtered.

Suggestion has the qualifier (and therefore even Mass Suggestion) that:
"The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable."

Going to sleep while engaged in combat or faced with a potentially hostile situation seems rather UNreasonable to me.

SO onward to potential fixes:

Raise the Greater Sleep's No-save to 4HD or less.

Perhaps adding a slow effect to those of higher level in the area of effect?

Firstly, just a mathematical error: d4/level implies average of 2-3 characters of your level, not 3-4.

Your substantive point is that Sleep is tantamount to death. Whilst it is certainly dangerous and potentially lethal, it is fairly straightforward for an ally of the sleeper to simply wake him. Furthermore, it ought be borne in mind that coup de grace is a full-round action drawing attacks of opportunity: so not an instant despatch.

With regard to save or die effects, think Chained (metamagic) Hold Person (5th level for clerics). It can affect up to 1 opponent/level (ergo 9 at minimum level) and effectively DOES mean death. Paralysis for nine rounds vis-a-vis sleeping for probably less than one (assuming that your allies wake you) more than makes up for the lower DCs. Empowered Fireball can also spell death for many characters of equal level: if you're a 9d4 HD mage, you don't want a 9d6x1.5 Empowered Fireball aimed at you. Finally, save or dies begin from fourth level: both Phantasmal Killer and (effectively) Polymorph Other. By 5th level, they come hard and fast: Slay Living and Flesh to Stone (effectively).

Granted, the idea is to knock out many lower level foes. This I can accept.

With reference to Suggestion, fair enough. But the 5th level clerical spell Greater Command CAN force people to go to sleep: lasting 1 round/level and affecting 1 enemy/level. Surely your proposed spell pales in comparison? And of course it can affect enemies of no matter what HD: assuming enemies of equal HD, this has a useful lifespan of two levels. True Sleep has no useful lifespan.

The 'fix' is hardly a fix. 4HD creatures are toast against 9th level casters anyway, and they are hardly likely to fighting such creatures at their level.

It's a tricky one though. It seems too weak at 5th, but a bit strong at 4th. Perhaps upping the number of creatures affected and the max HD affected could be a better fix (d6/level, up to 12HD?)

green slime

First Post
Hi Al.

Firstly, thanks for responding to my comments.

Secondly, my passage refering to affecting 3-4 characters was a reference to your earlier comment, when you wanted to up the die to d6...

Al suggested:
...Realistically, this means an average of 3-4 enemies of equivalent level to yourself. d4 per level would reduce that to 2-3 and probably make it too weak for 5th level.

I can definitely see that I shall have to go back and refer to my books. You have made some excellent points regarding Chained Hold Person and Greater Command. I shall take these into consideration before I publish my next version of these spells.

Al

First Post
green slime- Thanks for the compliments, it's glad to be appreciated sometimes. Many posters will argue their case to the hilt even if they are clearly wrong (no names now...), so it's good if some listen to reasoned debate.

mirzabah

First Post
I agree with Magus_Jerel, Sleep is an insta-kill spell that shouldn't scale. The comparison with Fireball simply doesn't wash. In a balanced encounter a Fireball won't kill a party that isn't already hurting bad. Sleep can easily knock out an entire party regardess of how healthy they are.

If you don't think sleep is very powerful, consider this fact: no wizard mook in any published commercial module for any edition of D&D has ever carried a sleep spell. Ever. Reason? It's a party killer.

Mirzabah

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Forrester said:
My main goal of these Sleep spells is affecting lots of little guys, not one or two big high-HD guys. (I imagine these spells being cast by drow to help them catch slaves.)

Comments? What might you change?

Taking my comments on a slightly different tack to the others, and considering the points that I quoted above...

Why not just use empowered sleep? At 3rd level it affects 3d4 HD, at 5th level it affects 4d4 HD,
at 7th level 5d4 and at 9th level 6d4.

Admittedly empowering it to 9th level isn't a fantastic use of a 9th level spell :)

But certainly as a 3rd level spell designed to "affect lots of little guys" zapping 3-8 warriors or 6-16 peasants (assuming d4 still counts as 1/2 HD) isn't too bad

---

I guess my main point is this - in considering a higher level version of a spell, it might be worth considering what equivalents could be achieved through metamagic.

Cheers

Remove ads