Scaling encounters for more than 6 players

themind

Explorer
I will be starting to run a 4e game in a couple weeks, running KotS for a group of 7 and possibly 8 players. I've been looking over the rules for trying to scale the encounters in the adventure, and the regular fights should be simple to do. My concern is with the Solo encounters. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about Solo encounters meant for 5 players when you have more than that. Should I level the monster, and thus the encounter level? Or should I leave it as is?

Mentat55

First Post
I see two options:

1. Increase the level of the solo monster until it reaches the desired XP. Major disadvantage here: the attack bonuses, damage, and defenses will increase along with the level, so while the XP total may say it is balanced, you might find that your PCs can't hit the thing, and can't avoid being hit.

2. Add some normal monsters or minions to the encounter. It may not be appropriate for all solo monster encounters, but for some I think this could work out well. Major disadvantage: most solo monsters are, well, solo, and it may not fit their modus operandi to have allies.

Arakim

First Post
I would also vote for the add-a-monster-option. I would further suggest minion.

What's a Big Bad Evil Guy without minions (who are also easy to use). 4 minion for every extra player.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I will be starting to run a 4e game in a couple weeks, running KotS for a group of 7 and possibly 8 players. I've been looking over the rules for trying to scale the encounters in the adventure, and the regular fights should be simple to do. My concern is with the Solo encounters. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about Solo encounters meant for 5 players when you have more than that. Should I level the monster, and thus the encounter level? Or should I leave it as is?
Add Traps, but make them reasonable.
Like a Red Dragon, Tiefling, or Salamander could all have traps that shoot fire every other round throughut room (after all, they barely feel it) after they turn switch on.

Minions and other monsters can also help.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases